Blough and Boyle are Left nut and Right nut

Rotum GIF by South Park

Don’t think we will be riding them anywhere

1 Like

I don’t like either one but based on Friday’s play i would keep Blough

2 Likes

I never understood all the bellyaching about back up QB. Most teams are cooked if they lose their starter long term unless Big Dick Nick Foles was your backup.
Furthermore, do we even care if the Lions got an extra win or two in a rebuild season if Goff went down with a better backup?

2 Likes

Losing sucks. So yes, I care about winning football games.

2 Likes

All I’m saying is that backup QB is highly inconsequential unless it was a development guy capable of being a starter down the road like Ridder for instance. Do you think that signing Cam Newton, for instance, moves the needle?

1 Like

I don’t care about Cam. You said “do we even care if the Lions got an extra win or two in a rebuild season…?” The answer from this particular fan is…yes. Losing sucks and I am over it. So I will take some extra wins. If Goff went down in preseason I would not want to lose every single game in September, October and November again just to get an earlier draft pick. I would gladly take a few extra wins mixed in to ease the pain.

Fair enough but I just don’t see how going from 4 to 6 wins or so led by a QB who isn’t a part of the future does much for the team long term but to each their own. If the Lions were a contender then I can understand shoring up the backup QB situation but don’t really see the big need now.

As I said before, if it was a young QB with starter potential leading the way because it’s leading somewhere then I get it but a backup journeyman QB who is better than The Play Killer B’s (Chase Daniel, Tyrod Taylor etc.) doesn’t really move the needle IMO.
However, I can see an argument that the Lions perhaps should have taken one of the QBs in this draft in Rounds 2-4 to develop behind Goff.

2 Likes

We just have a difference in opinion. I am tired of eating shitty seasons to get earlier draft picks and build from Shittsylvania. Very few teams have sucked as bad as we have, and yet we still suck more than they do. I’m also tired of watching MONTHS of football without my favorite team winning a single game.

I am okay with having a career backup as our backup as well. I don’t need a future starter. I just want a guy that can go into action and win a few games here and there. Blough might be able to do that. I have zero faith in Boyle being that guy.

2 Likes

This I agree with. I know that Boyle makes a few highlight throws which can keep interest for a minute but there’s so much more bad than good that it’s almost shocking that they’ve stuck with him this long. Even his college stats are absolutely horrendous. His arm talent isn’t THAT special. Plus that manbun alone should be automatic grounds for dismissal.

2 Likes

We are losing the war on the man bun one battle at a time:

I think some common ground you and I have is that its pointless to have Joe Flacco as your backup QB if you are a team like the Lions. The Jets…who are a team kind of like the Lions…have Joe as their backup QB.

If Goff goes down for any length of time, I think you play both Boyle and Blough. Blough gets put in between the 20’s. If you are pinned deep or are in the red zone, Boyle is much more of a finisher and will make less bad decisions when you are pinned deep. A classic two headed monster. We will still lose every game, but will look at least 30% less pathetic doing so.

I agree, most teams don’t have a good backup. A few do. Boyle and Blough don’t give me any confidence, but neither did Chase Daniels, and we were paying him 5 times more than what Boyle and Blough make.

1 Like

Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot

1 Like

nuts GIF

How much worse is J.T. Barrett really than Boyle or Blough!? He was way better in college than those 2. We hired Barrett as a coach, he’s only 27, and he can run. Won a lot of games at OSU. He at least might be helpful for the defense to practice against a mobile QB.

And his last name starts with a B. Goff and the Killer B’s! I call them the Killer B’s because they are painful to watch.

I wonder if the Lions would make a run at Mason Rudolph. He seems like the odd man out in Pittsburgh and probably wouldn’t cost too much. I’m not saying he’s great, but I’d have more hope with him than I do with Boyle/Blough.

1 Like

Rudolph is 5-4-1 as a starter and at worst he isn’t a guaranteed loss. He also had a much better college career than either Blough or Boyle.

I’d take him in a heartbeat over Boyle or Blough.

Looks like at least one NFL writer agrees: 3 Teams That Should Trade For Mason Rudolph - The Draft Network

1 Like

you never understood the belly-aching about back-up QB? Right now Goff is our White knight , he is crucial to the position as our starter at the moment. How many %$@!^% decades have The Lions been losing?? you want great change? well to have that you can’t have chimps backing up your #1. It should not be "a typical rule of thumb that if your starting QB goes down for any period of time …well your just SOOL (shit out of luck). because most times your starting QB cannot reach a playoff, a pro-bowl , or a super bowl , and if the ONE stud gets injured…well that’s pretty much season is over . that is not just wrong , it should be bullshit !
Rule of thumb should be 'ok your starting QB just went down…time to send in your able back up AND IF HE FAILS/ then your toast. I never understand why -if your starting QB gets an injury-your just done.

You want 2 types of back up QB’s.

1 = proven vet that has done it before but no longer at the top of their game. They can win some games for you in a pinch plus be a coach on the field for your starter

2 = young guy that has shown flashes of being a starting caliber QB. You should ALWAYS have at least one of these guys on your roster, whether a late round pick or even taking a flyer on an UDFA. I’d even consider having a running QB as your #3 or PS guy so you have someone to run the scout team that can move around.

If a guy doesn’t fit into one of those 2 types, he has no business being on an NFL roster IMO. Does anyone see Blough/Boyles as fitting into these categories ??