Blough released!

Not sure this was posted already, I didn’t see it but if it was my apologies - anyway, Blough going to the Vikings practice squad

Seems odd, I would have thought the Lions would have offered him a spot on their . . . maybe they didn’t or maybe Blough just wants a fresh start.

3 Likes

POD article kind of implies he wanted a fresh start and said the Lions did want to bring him back. I get it, he just better not give them any state secrets!!!

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2022/9/1/23333413/former-lions-qb-david-blough-signing-minnesota-viking-practice-squad

Blough must’ve been pretty bitter about being cut.

Imagine going to a team that just cut a 2021 3d Rd pick because they already had starter Kirk Cousins and veteran backups Sean Mannion and Nick Mullins.

Besides the fact that Blough will never see the field, he’s not going to get many, if any, practice reps.

That wouldn’t have been true in Detroit.

1 Like

I’ve dated a few girls where clarity was very important. Extremely under used word “clarity”

1 Like

There’s a long list of potential replacements:

Challenge me!!

Football Sport GIF by Detroit Lions

@Air2theThrown predicted this about 6 weeks ago! He said if we release Boyle or Blough they will be claimed to help the opponents prepare to face the Lions. I thought he was nuts, I’m sorry.

The Vikes are now going to milk Blough for everything he knows about the Lions offense and team for about a month or so and then release him, just watch.

Blough sucks, we know it, the Vikes know it. But, he might help them learn about a division rival. It makes sense to claim guys like that on your practice squad.

1 Like

There is no interest in either of them. I wouldn’t be surprised if Blough’s stay on The Vikings PS is until week 3 when we play them.

If we did offer him a spot, I think he’s going to regret it. But, time to move on. curious to see who we bring in at QB.

1 Like

Agreed, he’s being used like a chess piece, he would have been better to stay with the Lions for his career. They often have too much pride when they get cut.

Guess who is very good friends with the Packers and Rodgers!? Tim Boyle that is. Insider info is valuable whether we want to admit it or not as fans.

3 Likes

That is true, although that being said, I think that gets a little overblown about “inside” knowledge. Yea they know the plays, but they can watch film and know what the plays are. That’s why it seemed so silly when previous coaches were tight lipped about stuff and this regime has been more open than most about what they are doing, what the opponent is doing, it’s common knowledge.

The key is even if he handed the Vikings/packers the playbook, it’s the playcalling and how they disguise different plays, as well as how they set certain things up with play calling.

They haven’t been under a full year of the new offense and playcalling, and for the small sample size last year I thought the lions did a pretty good job setting up plays with other plays and catching some teams off guard.

The playbook doesn’t change much but I imagine the playbook evolves as the season goes on, and they probably do install new plays specific to who they are playing.

The TLDR version - Blough and Boyle aren’t going to be the missing element to whether or not we beat the Vikings/packers

2 Likes

Of course you’re right, it is way over blown. Most teams all run very similar playbooks, the key is play calling and execution of those plays! And they barely game plan in preseason. Strategy changes week to week once the real season starts!

But, these teams will look for any tiny advantage they can find, it’s a ruthless business. If Blough can even give the Vikes D-Cord a 1% advantage, he becomes a great waiver claim for the PS.

1 Like

I’m not convinced that Blough is a “Dan Campbell” player. He probably is a better fit with a more cerebral and less meathead type of coaching staff.

Lol I hope the whole league thinks he’s a meathead…

That dude has forgotten more about football than any of us will ever know.

Why did the offense suddenly improve when he started calling plays? Why did we finally win some games with a decimated roster?

But I hope the whole league thinks he’s a meathead. To quote the man himself, “the dumber they think I am the better it is for us.”

1 Like

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

1 Like

Dumb And Dumber Drinking GIF

1 Like

To be fair I think Campbell is very cerebral but they’re a certain player profile that fits better with him. Players like Hutch, Rodrigo, Jamal Williams, St. Brown, Ragnow, Reynolds, etc. fit that profile. The more I see if Goff the more I see a good fit between he and Campbell as well although I actually think Stafford and Campbell would be a better fit. I’m not sure Blough does.

3 Likes

Does smell of Vikings GM in envy of Holmes and wants whatever scraps he can get.

I thought they were friends during the draft… Wonder if he called Holmes first and let him know?

1 Like

Right on I can understand that. I think the reason they probably kept him around so long was because of his smarts and hoping it could translate to being a better QB. He definitely has the moxie part down, those plays he made in the last preseason game, while not pretty still got the job done. I think they just wanted more from him which they didn’t get. He reminds me of Dan Orlovsky in a way…

I got a fantasy draft tonight, I can’t be drinking any of that, lol I’d be on the toilet all night.

But after the draft, I’m watching more Letterkenny for sure!! That show kills me brother!

1 Like