Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell

Are going to blow up the entire NFL and be the last one standing for years to come. We have a perfect match of GM and HC. We will reap the rewards as fans for the next 20 some years. Detroit Lions will become synonymous with success.

That is all. I just needed to get that out. I can’t wait to taste kneecaps every year all year for years and years. The Detroit Lions of the 2020-30s are going to be the Red Wings of the 90s-00s.

6 Likes

Obviously Detroit fans love this. I would say that NFL players around the league love this as well.

The only thing left to happen is to win. If Detroit is able to turn this around in just 1 year (unlikely, but possible), free agents will be lining up to be part of this.

2 Likes

I doubt it happens this year …would i like sure would…I think we see the turn around really start season 2022…when you think what they can add next season from draft an even with cap room…thats when I believe we start to see major changes…this year will be to set the attitude an how you will play an we will keep half dozen of the one year signings this season an then add few Free agents an another draft.
Could it be faster yes but not sure it can happen…wins as you have said in few posts are ok high standard of play an no giving in is important . Lions play every minute of every game hard as possible i can go without wins. Now in 2022 thats when i will look for wins an close games but still play hard.

2 Likes

I wanna say there was an interview where DC came out and said “we are focused on 2022.” I don’t want to take that quote out of context because I think they expect to be fully competitive this year, but I agree with you, in that we will truly see the fruits of the process in another year.

This year, as many have said, I just want a competitive, engaged team. Maybe we don’t win much, but damn we were a tough beat and we got better with every game.

Winning will start soon.
It’s gonna be hilarious when the #1 selling jersey is Dan Campbell throwback.

3 Likes

The stadium crowd is going to get real ugly when the concessions stands run out of kneecaps.

2 Likes

If he wins us a Super Bowl, I’ll buy one for the entire den! ha ha

1 Like

You’re damn right they are. MCDC said so and the wall I just ran through for him confirmed his assessment.

3 Likes

You’ve been screen-capped. Get your wallet ready.

5 Likes

I’m going to say something that feels even weird as it leaves my fingertips. I think that if we honestly love our GM & HC then you gotta give Sheila Ford Hamp serious credit.

She arranged that marriage between these two guys who said they had never even met. She hired Speilman, set the culture, gave Brad a seriously qualified support team, put her office in the center of action, yet by all accounts wants to be informed but lets everyone do their jobs, and gives Brad & Dan whatever resource they request.

I know, I know, praising a Ford feels like licking an ashtray but SFH has set a different culture than we ever saw from the other Fords. So “culture change” feels real to me this time because of it.

I know her 1st move ever was to keep Patricia last year - AND to her credit - she saw that was a mistake, learned fast from it, fired his ass mid-season, and had a full assessment of what went wrong and how to make sure it doesn’t again by end of season. Then she went to work getting us two new talents to lead us in a new way and made a bunch of older guys their advisors - not their bosses.

5 Likes

Yup. In case someone isn’t aware, she opened it up (offices) and put her office flat squarely in the middle of everything going on, and by all accounts, keeps that door open at all times.

3 Likes

And Rod Wood.

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

3 Likes

I would say mainly Rod Wood. That’s who Sheila turned the power over to. And I was one of the guys who was leading the charge to burn Rod at the stake if things went south. So in turn I have to give him the credit if things start working out. And I have to say that his ability to be given so much power by Sheila and then use that power to empower others has been an interesting thing to see. Alot of people don’t even get into a situation with that much power unless they’ve been angling for it because they want to use it for themselves.

3 Likes

I respectfully disagree. Wood is still a flunky following the owner’s lead rather than leading. He’s been in his role since 2015 and so presided over the train wreck under Martha Firestone Ford.

When Quintricia were broomed, the Detroit Freep reported Wood was made part of a “six-man decision-making group that has met regularly to discuss and carry out transactions since the firing of Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia last month, but the Detroit Lions president said his role in the group is purely as a facilitator.”

“I’m not making the final decision, nor is anybody else. It’s kind of a group effort.” Wood said.

So, I think the culture change directives come from the new owner who has been in that role since June 22, 2020. Next week will be her one year anniversary and look at the change. I’m not ready to give Rod credit, since the change began with her promotion not his. Jussayin’

Rod Wood is helping Detroit Lions make roster decisions. Here’s why (msn.com)

1 Like

This is incorrect, and its why we had such a lengthy discussion on it prior to this. Wood has been given an incredible amount of power. What Wood has done is spread that power around instead of concentrating it with himself and a bunch of yes men like some other people would have done. I commend him for that.

When Rod Wood is sitting at a table of 6 decision makers…unless 1 of them is Sheila its because he appointed 5 of them. They work for Rod. But it seems like his “Ceaser turning away the crown” routine is genuine up to this point and we can temporarily put away the Rodsputin moniker.

3 Likes

What impact do you think the office linebacker had on Wood?

No worries, I used to live in Southeast Asia for many years. You can basically get any pro jersey you want made for about 5 bucks USD. It might not be Nike or Reebok, but I’ll get you guys the best counterfeit knockoffs I can find. I’d imagine I have a few years to start saving, unless MC/DC has other plans, ha ha.

1 Like

That’s a fair observation. My point is, he did none of this before SFH took over. So, I give her the lions share of credit and see him as running things the way the team owner says - which he should. That previous half-decade counts. So, either that structure was his style and new ownership said change; or this current structure is his style and he just followed ownership’s orders for the previous half decade (and current ownership is authorizing something new). But “Central-Office-Sheila” definitely looks like the leader and tone-setter to me.

I’ve been impressed with Holmes and Campbell; I’ve been impressed with the coaching staff they’ve put together and bringing in mentors and sounding boards like Capers and Dorsey.

But I’ve really been impressed with Sheila – her level of engagement. And it’s the right kind of engagement. She’s present, the communication is great, so she knows what’s going on and why it’s happening the way that it is. She provides her input but always in a way that ultimately shows she’s deferring to the experts she’s hired. I think the only real mandate she laid down was to do things almost the complete opposite of how Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia did them.

A lot of us have been commenting on the refreshing openness they’ve shown in press conferences and in these behind-the-scenes videos. That again, is the opposite-of-Quinntricia approach.

Based on what they’ve said, and what we’ve seen in those videos, everything is falling into place regarding their plan and vision. So now they either make it work or they don’t.

1 Like

She’s also shown that she won’t tolerate the same things her parents would. That was immediately clear after the thanksgiving debacle. You could see how embarrassed she was watching that game. I don’t think her parents would have made the move to fire the coach and gm as quickly as she did.