Brad Holmes is a Wizard

He’s a guy I’d trade 18 and a 5th for.

1 Like

While I agree 100% that Brad has been a wizard this offseason. Great job!

The nuance that he is swindling players into void years is a bit off to me.

If the player gets cut, they may get picked up by a team with space with little choice because their contract is inflated. They may not get playing time to show what they can do.

By staying with the Lions this year, and the void year, they know they will get to play in the case of big v, romeo and harris. Next year, if they are worth it, the Lions can keep them one more year at a higher pay. If the lions cut them, they are FAs and can negotiate whereever they want for whatever they want. They get a lot of freedom by doing the contract this way. It just takes a good front office to help them understand this.

5 Likes

Oliver is much more name then game, IMO. If Quinnen Williams was available then that would be different.

Oliver’s best career game came against us this past year because we were starting our 6th or 7th string guards.

5 Likes

Right. There is not swindling here. These are guys he’s been loyal to who all recognize a hard decision has to be made. Harris was rewarded for his prove-it deal and wasn’t able to follow through due to injury. Okwara was invested in and wasn’t able to follow through due to injury. Vaitai was invested in by the previous regime but held onto by this one without his ever being able to follow through due to injury.

There’s no swindling here. No wizardry.

2 Likes

Can a single star align?

3 Likes

And I think they’re going to come out of the gates feelin it.
It’s on!
You gonna beat Detroit? Pack your lunch.

4 Likes

Simmons is a stud…but he’s going to be playing on his 5th year team option in 2023 and he’s pissed about it. He wants a massive contract extension. He’s looking for Payne money, who got 4 years 90 mill.

3 Likes

I think that’s pretty close to what happened. J-Will let his ego get in the way and had to settle for less.

Pretty much the same thing happened with Gardner-Johnson and the Lions were the beneficiaries of his agent and or CGJ mis-judging the market.

2 Likes

Simmons and Quinnen Williams are two guys I’d gladly give up draft capital and a massive salary extension too. Both are young and probably top 5 at their position. I’d give up #18 and our 3rd next year. I’d probably even give up 18 and one of our 2nds this year to get it done. Adding one of those guys could turn this into the best DLine in the league.

3 Likes

So you give up a 1st and a 3rd and still dish out 90 million over 4 years or draft Jalen Carter who will be about 1/4th the price and don’t give up Beans. Hmmmmmmm

Jalen is an unknown commodity (yes he’s still on my board). Simmons isn’t, he’s proven to be one of the best in the league and is still very young. If they make the move I’m ecstatic…if they don’ I’m fine as well. It’s fun to think of that possibility. As far as beans go, Brad can spend them anyway he wants. He’s put them in a position to be open to so many possibilities.

2 Likes

For sure, I get that! Just doesn’t feel like a Moneyball Brad type move.

2 Likes

I hear what you’re saying and I agree. It would definitely be out of the norm from what we have seen.

2 Likes

I don’t think we consider Carter and he is an unknown.

So yes I personally would do that in an instant. Not sure if Brad feels the same though or if they are even available.

4 Likes

And Simmons fits perfectly.

He’s a monster in the middle at a major position of need. And his age(25) fits our timeline perfectly. I’d also be willing to do 6 for Simmons and 11 if they fall in love with a QB. Simmons is the dream scenario.

2 Likes

I’d jump on that deal. Make it happen!

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be smashing koolaid if it happened, just don’t see Brad doing it.

2 Likes

Holmes is best GM we could have hoped for.

4 Likes

We started the offseason $12.7M under the cap
We cut Brockers
We signed Sutton, Moseley, CGJ, Montgomery, Anzalone, Glasgow, Cominsky, CJ Moore, Buggs, Harris, Nelson, Badgley, JRM, McQuaide

and now we are $24M under the cap.

Let that sink in.

12 Likes

My favorite move has been shaving his head

Thank you @DeadStroke for sharing this.

Brad is the Dan Campbell of GMs.
Best in the biz

4 Likes