Brad Holmes: Lions' Defensive Line is a "Strength"

Yeah that made me stop and think they may keep Flowers… but again to the crystal ball comment, you know they’ll be monitoring their off-season conditioning and progress and that may also change how they view importance of position when they draft…

Then again cash always talks and if cutting flowers or restructuring his deal makes more sense I definitely see that as most likely to happen. I think they want flowers back but they may want him back at a pay cut.

And speaking to DL strength, if the lions had flowers and ROkwara healthy how much would that have changed the DL play?

A crystal ball would be nice but I think they have a good handle on how to assess progress and health and fit moving forward.

One thing that has kind of gotten forgotten about or not mentioned lately that I’ve seen is them firing the team trainer and Campbell sounded rather upset about lack of communication. So I’m curious to see what changes are made in the health and training and recovery aspect… because the guy they had from the patriots was made out to sound like a jerk.

3 Likes

Yea “glue guy” “leader” have value and
They’ve spent the money on him
Either way

But if he can have a bounce back year
Maybe even in reduced minutes
For health and effectiveness

If they’re building through draft and other young cheap players That need leadership
Thst leads them on how to handle injuries like a professional … does flowers prefer to stay because he believes ?

Dline could be a strength

1 Like

Yes, agreed. With the development of McNeill and Levi, along with adding a draft pick or two, along with Okwara coming back, the DL could actually make a very quick rise from marginal to above average pretty quickly

4 Likes

I was just thinking about that as well when he mentioned Lynn. That is a big move Dan made early. Not sure what the problem was but the Lions played hard all 4 quarters and didn’t poop out on stamina. They did have more than their share injuries which can be luck.

2 Likes

I really can’t see a path for Flowers to stay on the team in 2022. The Lions save $16M by cutting him post-June as I understand it, he’s been injured lately, and has a similar cap issue in 2023. Maybe there some magic restructure that wouldn’t impact the future and keep him here, but it seems unlikely. He does fit the culture though.

3 Likes

I think almost half season the D allowed 20 points or less . What we all see is bad blow outs,

But he may not be wrong when he says DL is strong.

Remember the OLB’s are part of DL of 3- 4 D may times its like 5-2 with all movement an these players had to learn system plus being rookies or young players.

Levi an McNeill rookies Penisini second year Brockers the experienced vet an Williams who i am not sure will be back.

We let Hall go an Cornell was hurt most of season.

What I think he was saying is with talent we have a OLB he expects that to along with rookies to increase strenght.
the 2 Okwara brothers he likes Harris an he has Bryant coming back plus we used some depth guys that do job an are young like Hector…Banks… Lemonier,Berry I know not name guys but you need these type of players to build depth will they all make it nope but few will an we could add one or two in FA an lets say they draft Hutch?

He likes what he has an i think with few additions it will also be strong.

When your picking first saying DL is a strength is not going to change any minds

Glue guys are end of the bench low salary feel good story try hard but really he kind of sucks players.

Not highest paid player not at QB type guys.

He Gone!

Of course he’s going to say that when they spent the second and third round picks on DTs

The real question is does he actually believe it

1 Like

I REALLY think he does.
-He’s not a “lip service” guy.
-He may be including the offseason
-He expects MASSIVE improvement from Levi (said they didn’t even think he’d play this year)

Just my thoughts. I think he means it. I think OL and DL are the priority, and will be as long as he’s here.

2 Likes

I hope he has an insurance policy for Levi I would feel better if we added someone to at least push him.

1 Like

Whelp, looks like we’re going with a tight end.

2 Likes

ii hope so—and a beast line backer 2nd

1 Like

The only thing I took out of this interview. He said, year 1 was about setting the foundation and year 2 is the player acquisition phase. He also said, we need to get better on the perimeter on both sides of the ball. He also talked about the resiliency of Jared Goff which makes me think their not looking at a QB.

Love Dan Campbell, but Holmes will be the what stops this team. Dan will admit something didn’t work and change it , Holmes ego and his I don’t make mistakes attitude will hurt this teams development. He thought safety were good last year his wr signings we’re terrible, yes he got St brown but it’s not like he knew he was gonna be this good or he would have taken him before the 4th RD. His statement on the Dline is about what he did with the safety position. This guy doesn’t even understand what this teams weekness are and he ought to thank MCDC and his staff because there making Holmes look better then he is. Levi is his Tavi. And he gonna screw this team with his ego and making Levi out to be better then he is. The Dline is a strength what the duck was he watching. He needs to go buy Dan a Corvette and say thank you.

I kinda look at it as he has to say that. They spent the most draft capital and free agency money on the DL and it still stinks.

I’m expecting changes along that DL. Maybe starting some coaching changes there.

2 Likes

That’s absolutely the biggest issue with him. He gets blown off the ball. He’s quick out of his stance. But also he lacks an arsenal of moves. He has to be better with his hands. His lack of playing shows. He’s a raw project that will take time. Right now he looks like a bust and very well maybe one.

1 Like

He not a 2nd Rd pic the guy is that bad

I think you are being a little over the top here. I won’t knock them for not getting better safeties last year because we really needed help everywhere and only had so much to work with.

Levi sucked overall this year. I think he showed more as a pass rusher then against the run, but he wasn’t even average at that. Facts are that he didn’t play at all in 2020 and missed a ton of time this off-season. To call him a bust is a little over reactionary don’t you think? He must take a giant step forward in 2022, but his book is far from written.

3 Likes

I think this is worth emphasizing. Especially coupled with his statement about needing to get better a the perimeter. Perhaps a read between the lines suggests that he isn’t particularly happy with the way we set the edge of the run defense and the EDGE pass rushing. We know they like Charles Harris. But we know they’ve had their share of injuries and disappointments there too. We also know that the safeties, corners, and off ball LBs are part of that perimeter defense.

I think Holmes is most definitely aware that he is in the bullshit season and is not going to say anything publicly that doesn’t benefit the lions in one way or another, or at least doesn’t hurt them. Which is kind of refreshing after the last regime, which for some reason like to telegraph exactly what they planned to do every off-season.

Even if the end result is like 98% they take one of the top 2DE‘s, why the hell wouldn’t you try to muddy the waters and see if anybody makes you an offer for that spot? It probably won’t work, but I appreciate at least going through the motions. Bob Quinn would be like “We plan to pick Hutchinson if he’s there so please no one else take him.”

3 Likes