Brad Holmes: Lions' Defensive Line is a "Strength"

So he gets all the credit for any move he made that didn’t work out but he doesn’t get credit for any of the ones that did? He drafted St. Brown but can’t give him credit for that because of where they picked him? Haters gonna hate.

2 Likes

Exactly what is he going to do, tell the press Levi was a giant bust? What good would that do?

1 Like

Right??? In his first draft class, Holmes picked 2 PFF all-rookie selections plus a WR that just broke the record for a Lions rookie, in what people were saying was a notoriously weak draft class, but somehow that counts as a disaster? Because not every single pick turned into an all pro their rookie season I guess???

I don’t understand the “arrogant” critique either. It’s pretty clear Dan has final say on the roster. If anything, with that front office and the 18-headed monster involved in personnel decisions, seems to me you either check your ego or find a different job.

8 Likes

The weird thing is that I detect very little ego in Brad Holmes. Its funny how we all perceive people differently.

2 Likes

It’s no different then Tom Brady he was picked in the 6th Rd, Patriots had no Idea he would be the goat. Like every other team

1 Like

Then why come out and say the Dline was a strength ? Probably the weekest group on defense.

I am not sure. It could be a number of reasons. It could be that he truly believes that he has some pieces there. At least for another year with Brockers aging. But I don’t see it as ego per se.

It’s not about that at all , it’s about Levi not being worth a 2nd Rd pic, he’s the type of guy that you take in the 4th or 5th. And then he plays like udfa and Holmes tells us the Dline is a strength witch is nothing but a lie. It’s not a strength it might be the weekest position on defense between that a safety.

Dan was honest about Barnes and Levi, Holmes isn’t admitting that there some issues with the Dline he’s covering there bad play up by trying to tell people this is a strength. It’s not a strength at all , that sounds like his ego to me.

1 Like

If we could come away with a stud pass rusher at #2, the top WR on the board with the Rams pick and a LB #34 overall. I think this roster would be starting to look pretty solid all of sudden. Especially with bringing in a few more vets in free agency for competition and depth. We also will be getting some talented guys back from injury. Ragnow, Romeo, Okudah, and Cephus if they can get healthy will help.

I’d still like to draft a safety and a TE in the mid rounds as well. We need depth at TE behind Hock. And the safety position is up in the air right now with Walker being a free agent and Will Harris turning into a corner recently, and he sucked at safety to begin with.

2 Likes

I think he means it COULD be a strength, but the jury’s out. Look again how he characterizes it. He said the DL is a strength – “you could argue”. To me, that means there’s another side to the argument that he recognizes.

Someone else said it in a previous post best:
You don’t not draft Jordan Davis because you have Levi Onzuwurike.

2 Likes

LoL. Love it.

Also - completely agree

1 Like

Yes I heard that too. Looking at the roster and who is actually “locked up” in contracts versus who isn’t by defensive position, the DL is a “strength” from a drafting perspective. Remember he is focused on acquisition.

The DL has a bunch of rookies and locked up veterans (Brockers, Flowers, Okwaras).

The LBs and DBs are far less certain with a bunch of FAs this off season. From his perspective, he has less players locked up everywhere else on defense. Walker was one of the better players this season but he is not on the team right now for next season.

I don’t think he was lying or spreading misinformation. I think he has a board that shows who is on the team next season and it’s fairly bare on defense. He has a group that they’d like to get back at the right price and if they negotiate those contracts and other FAs then that will tell him where the holes are for the draft.

3 Likes

He very well could be. He has the tools to be very good as well. Hopefully our defensive line coach can teach and develop talent as well as pleasant can.

2 Likes

Coach Wash said he’s going to have to live under a squat rack and get used to dropping those hips to be able to take on NFL linemen.

Holmes says Levi is “self-aware”.

I’m going to withhold judgement, myself. It’d be nice if his physique was NFL-ready like McNeil’s, but it clearly isn’t. Obviously we’ll know real early in this next season what we’re looking at for a prospect. If he comes in chicken-legged and playing too high again, we’ll know what he’s about (or isn’t).

2 Likes

Last year Holmes said OL was a strength shortly after being hired. Then her drafts the best LT in the game.

I wouldn’t put much stock until this. Everyone knows the Lions DL play was horrible.

1 Like

I definitely think it’s too early to tell on the guy. I do like how he explodes off the ball. But that’s about all you can say good about him at this time. He definitely needs to get stronger and he also needs to work on his pass rush moves.

Clearly the jury is out on this kid but as of right now he’s looking more bust than boom.

1 Like

Aaron Donald gave a ton of credit to Brockers and Robert Quinn throughout the years of teaching him pass rush moves inside and out. Another reason I think Brockers is on this roster.

3 Likes

This is a good breakdown of the contract status for every position.

+Positions with starters and depth locked up. Keep in mind they will look to upgrade but at least they have a starter and backup at each position already locked into a contract:
Entire OL!! RB, TE, QB, DT, DE, CB, Kickers

Here are the scary positions or where I would say are NOT strengths per Holmes:

1. WR is scary. Only St. Brown, Benson, Cephus off injury, and Tom Kennedy are on the roster so far. Raymond and Reynolds will likely want to come back and can for the right price. Likely taking 2 WRs unless FA takes a spot.
  2. LB - Only Derrick Barnes with Woods, Pittman, and Bolton as depth. Likely drafting 2 LBs unless a FA is found.
  3. SAF - They have 5 guys here but none of them played meaningful snaps besides Harris. Walker likely a priority or another FA + draft.

McNeil isn’t in great football shape either, IMO. His snaps were usually held below 50% (not sure if he broke that barrier in any game or not). He also started the season very slow which to me is partly because he wasn’t in NFL game shape (doesn’t mean he was out of shape, but NFL shape is a different animal then college). I believe he progressed greatly as the year went on and showed a ton of promise.

To me though, both these guys need to hit the weight room this off-season and build up their strength and stamina. McNeil showed enough ability that if he hits the weight room and builds up his strength and stamina, that he could be Shaun Rogers level good without the lazy streak.

2 Likes