Brad is a genius until you don't think he is?

Multiple teams comprised of dozens if not hundreds of bonafide NFL scouts disagree with you and would’ve drafted Gibbs in the middle of round 1. You should email them and let them know.

I mean, what if no one tells them?

I agree with that. I am just like a lot of you and devalued RB in the first round unless your drafting a top 3 RB.

Yeah definitely not the way I would have gone. Now we just need him to become Marshall Faulk 2.0. Then he’ll be worth it.

1 Like

Didn’t I read somewhere recently you were “Trusting in Brad Holmes”?

1 Like

“What you’re not missing.”

Clumsily framed: my point was that they didn’t overreach.

1 Like

Reminder that I love Jack Campbell.

2 Likes

I think we can all agree that this draft lacked true “top end talent” and if I recall after the combine didn’t Dan or Brad say that there were only like 6 prospects that really impressed them. I think based on the talent level of this draft that Brad stayed true to their evaluations/assessments and went with individuals who they believe will hit the ground running and help this team right away…positional values be damned.

Heard on NFLN that the way we drafted on Day 1 really opens the door on Day 2 for us where others don’t have the draft flexibility we do.

Honestly if we are asking Gibbs to pick up blitzes we are using him completely wrong. He’s a serious weapon in the passing game. Get him running routes and I think that’s gonna be the plan. He’s going to be used as receiver just as much as a RB. @Thats2 posted some good info in another thread about how talented Gibbs is a receiver.

If we drafted JSN @ 12 most people would have been good with that. Well, Gibbs is essentially a hybrid RB/WR. I’m still shocked by the pick though. Is he Marshall Faulk 2.0, maybe more Reggie Bush!? Only time will tell.

2 Likes

Either you trust Holmes or the mock draft guys. Every year we talk about drafting BPA. This is what it looks like, it isn’t always the guys we want.

Love this post.

The only way one of these guys bust is injury… Campbell will never have an off field issue, but I haven’t looked into Gibby as much in that way.

Love the introspection, man. Love the story about your son. Philly really truly hax a great draft. Carter is in one of only a few scenarios where he could get the proper support → good for him.

I look more at energy & trending energy than most. It’s why I have been so high on Campbell & holmes both…love at first sight, for real. I expect that to deepen, not go the other way.

Just loving the journey, man!

1 Like

Herbstreit compared him to Kamara and McCaffrey

1 Like

That is exactly what he is, he just doesn’t line up in the slot, he can line up outside also.

If we use him like McCaffrey this offense is going to be dangerous

Yeah a lot of experts have gone with the Kamara comp because of the pass-catching ability and the hair, but Gibbs is much faster than Kamara (4.36 vs 4.56), while Alvin’s quite a bit bigger (215 to 199). It doesn’t really hold up as a comp to me.

2 Likes

Yup - I truly disassociate with the craft a lot because I’m not educated enough. I saw Gibby highlights & STRONGLY fell he would help us & wanted him. It di dn’t shake down how I thought it would.

I saw best case scenario as Carter working out…IF Holmes thought he could.
I see Bradley as a G D magician! I was gonna be on board with his pick no matter what. I feel if I’m not initially happy, that I will be 9 games into the season. LOL (See Houston pick).

I was thinking Gibby was my #1 target because I thought Bijan would cost so much more…also thought Gibby is possibly a better pick for what we will be using him for.

I would have thought we would have taken him with 1b or possibly a small trace up from 2a

BRB - Gotta go watch some Gibby hi lights (no…I’m not kidding )

I can understand the Gibbs pick because Jamo seems content to the sidelines and Swift was our only player with any juice and he’s hurt all the time. I was looking for Achane in the 2nd but it still fills the need. I was afraid the pick was going to be WR Flowers so I was a little relieved it was GIbbs. As for Campbell I just don’t like the player. I would not have taken him in the 2nd round either. I hope I am wrong but I just don’t see how his game transitions to the NFL. I don’t consider the draft a complete failure yet just the 18th pick.

1 Like

This draft seems to be all over the place on how people are perceiving it. Some people loved the pics, others were skeptical and willing to believe that Brad has earned some credibility based on past drafts and others just flat out hate either one or both of the picks.

I think I am in the understanding crowd as the picks were not what I expected. I do think we got two quality players and guys who can contribute from day 1…which is what we want. We now have alot of flexibility going forward.

My question to all the draft experts in the media that hate our picks is do you think these picks are really out of line with what Brad and Dan have been preaching for last two years? We want high quality football player who live and breath football. This was definitely not Carter who couldn’t even finish his pro-day. Witherspoon was a guy we were targeting but Seattle did the unexpected and changed our plans. I don’t think Brad and Dan panicked at all and stayed true to their board which I honestly think had limited true first round players.

People are mad because we did the unconventional and they think they know better then real GM’s and their scouting departments. To me this is like someone who is good at laser quest thinking they know more then the military!

We are not going to care next year if these players produce.

1 Like

And with this, @Nate could have went ahead and closed down the topic. At the end of the day, they got better with the guys they valued the most.

That’s why I don’t give a shit about mock drafts. People start becoming emotionally invested in players they haven’t even watched to the point of absurdity where arguments are had about who should go where and then bitching and moaning when the - ya know, actual NFL team - picks someone that doesn’t favor their opinion or their want.

Did I like Nolan Smith? Sure did. Guess what, 29 actual NFL teams with actual scouts and actual coaches and an actual GM didn’t.

Brad passed on him twice.

4 Likes

Nice.

2 Likes

Kind of hilarious to see this thread and then see the same people complaining Brad didn’t take their guy. lmfao.

Not cool to like Nolan Smith at 6 and he falls to 30. But it’s totally cool to have a boner for AA at 34, who is still on the board at 75 and counting. :joy:

1 Like