Brandon Staley - Potential Head Coach

I am nervous about anyone not named Lewis. That doesn’t mean its not time to take a calculated risk. Perhaps Staley is the next McVay. It is a gamble. I mentioned in another thread…the longer we wait to name a HC the more likely it is that we are at least waiting to talk to Staley as he is still in the playoffs.

2 Likes

You have to think this is a very real possibility. Especially if he brought his name up in the interview.

I just find it surprising that they are going back to the young superstar well again after failing so spectacularly the first time. Doesn’t it mean it won’t work though. That formula CAN WORK, but its all about the guys you pick.

They are calling him the defensive McVay. Apparently we got the 2nd coming of Ozzie Newsome as well. Go for it!

2 Likes

Yes he definitely did. Makes me a little more comfortable, he has the inside scoop.

Rams fans would be PISSED if we plucked Staley. Book it.

2 Likes

Honestly, at this point. After all the research and thorough interviewing, why not swing for the fences with two young NFL respected and not just “new england respected” up and comers?

2 Likes

At this point I think Bevell leaves unless offered the HC job. If there is serious interest and it wasn’t just a courtesy interview (and it sounds like it was serious) and if Bevell really wants the job (sounds like he does), then it would be hard for him to simply accept and stay put as is. Imagine for example a less experienced guy like Staley coming in that you just lost out getting the job for and then being asked to run the entire offense because, oh…by the way…the new guy doesn’t have experience with running an offense.

Bevell is either HC or he will leave.

I don’t know who the leading candidates are but my sense is that Bevell and Marvin Lewis are fall back options at this point…although I’d still love if they hired Lewis.

Maybe Bevell and Stafford have that great of a relationship that it makes him want to stay.

As much as I want Marv, the fact that we haven’t talked with him again I fear means either he’s not overly interested or the team isn’t overly interested.

I do not want two guys who came from the same team. Too much possibility for groupthink. When has attempting to replicate a different team ever really worked?

1 Like

If the team comes out for the first game and looks like they know the game has started, it’s an improvement.

The bar is LOW.

I’ll be happy for whomever it is. Because of whom it isn’t.

I agree. Just like all those early GMs we interviewed. I dont have the date but it has been a few weeks hasnt it?

1 Like

Especially ones with only one year of coordinator experience. Too soon for Staley.

1 Like

This is what the rams boards are saying. They think they got Staley for another year and would be super pissed if he left this year. He is that good. He is the next hot candidate.

This is where us being the Lions comes into play. If we’re not too soon, we won’t get him.

2 Likes

So true.

I’d rather not pair inexperience with inexperience.

I’d rather have Lewis or Bieniemy and I’m not a fan of Bieniemy.

The hype around him cooled down pretty quickly.

I personally never liked the idea of a non-playcalling coordinator getting that much buzz, and I suspect that lack of experience / contribution probably came through in interviews.

2 Likes

I’m in no hurry to go from the Detroit Patriots to the Detroit Rams… lol

2 Likes

Patricia was the 2nd coming of Parcells?!?

Nothing would please me more than to see Holmes & company select someone that he has no previous history with. It would suggest that these people are actually thinking and analyzing and not just defaulting to their safe space with familiar faces.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m aware, and I’m not saying it’s my preference to go for inexperience either (I like both Lewis and Staley). But no matter what you or I want, success comes in many forms and either can work.

I do find it interesting that two teams that have been so like us of late, the Browns and the Bills, have both succeeded with inexperienced combos.

Exactly