Brandon Staley - Potential Head Coach

History is in our favor - Bevells stayed at each team for a min of 3-5 yrs

He is loyal

If I were the New GM and wanted to keep him as OC, redo his contract with an increase

1 Like

Unless he brings this guy in as DC, then I’m perfectly OK with their familiarity :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Exactly…This would be Quntricia part Deux

At least they wouldn’t be hated from the start. That doesn’t seem to be the culture of the Rams.

The Pats are the No Fun Team. But it works because of the championships they’ve won. Guys go there to win, not to have fun. It was established. It worked. There.

I wouldn’t be thrilled about both hires being from the same organization, but if that’s what they come up with, I’ll support. For now. Win and I don’t care if you came from Kroger’s bagging groceries.

2 Likes
2 Likes

The Texans have requested to interview him.

Pennies are money. Just saying.

Staley is 38. He had nene in the NFL the last four years. He has one year as a DC. Honestly his resume looks a hell of a lot like Mike Tomlin when the Steelers hired him.

The question I have is how did McVay know about Staley? Brandon was with the Bears and then the Broncos before being hired to replace Phillips. Why did McVay make that bold move?

If this kid is like Mike Tomlin…seems like we would be wise to grab him even with his lack of experience?

2 Likes

I don’t think a Homes/Staley combo correlates to the BQ/Patricia debacle. On paper sure, but it really looks like the Lions are being more thorough this time around, especially if Spielman is involved. I think people are too focused on profiles and not the person. All that said, I am not advocating for Staley, I have no idea if he has the leadership skills.

4 Likes

I find it interesting that Staley was a QB himself and uses his understanding of offenses to help him confuse QB’s. So, he’s not your regular Defensive coordinator, he knows both sides of the ball. That alone is worth an interview.

Quote from McVay…

“When you talk football – I’d like to think that I love football as much as anybody – you’re sitting there and you’re thinking, ‘This guy might be sicker than I am,’” McVay said about Staley.

Guess who else loves football to an insane level… Chris Spielman.

3 Likes

I’ve talked myself into being all in on Staley, make it happen Holmes!

A huge difference as well is that these 2 are not long time friends that have known each other for several years like Quinn and Patricia. They have known each other and worked together a single year in LA.

I personally would love the hire myself. More excited for Staley than any other candidate remaining.

2 Likes

I am loving what I am reading about Brandon Staley! Wow. That ESPN article is amazing.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know if it’s so much “can,” but simply people who you have spent years with and know intimately who you feel is the next big thing. I agree, I don’t want to feel like we are limited. We’ll have to see. Unfortunately we hired a GM that doesn’t have a diverse network. We’ll see if that matters.

“He’s a great coach, one of the best coaches that I’ve ever had,” Ramsey said. “I feel like he’s a genius.”

-Jalen Ramsey

“Within the first minute of his starting to talk some football, I just knew he was different,” Arth said. “There’s no other candidates after you meet Brandon.”

-Tom Arth (Akron HC)

Staley understood how to reach every player, which meant finding ways to relate and communicate with each individual, a trait that caused Dawson to smile this year when he heard Ramsey echo the same sentiment to reporters.

“That’s one of the special things he does,” Dawson said. “I was a super emotional player, I didn’t enjoy being talked to aggressively, so would always pull me to the side. … [Other guys] had to be yelled at because that’s the only way they took coaching.”

-Jovon Dawson (former college player)

“The dude’s a genius,” Williams said.

-Darious Williams (Rams defender)

“I told him the first time we were on the Zoom call, he had me fired up, ready to go,” Brockers said. “I wanted to put my helmet on, on the Zoom call, because he had me so fired up.”

-Michael Brockers

“He’s about ball,” Ramsey said, “but at the same time he’s a player’s coach.”

-Jalen Ramsey

“He cracks a couple jokes here and there,” Donald said. “But he definitely brings a lot of excitement and a lot of passion with him.”

-Aaron Donald

“I had a call from a potential head coach for next season,” Fangio said. “Asked me if I have any more Brandon Staleys to come be his defensive coordinator.”

-Vic Fangio

Said Fangio: "He’s a football savant in that he loves the game, the historical aspect of the game. He loves to research it and wanted to be up on all the new things."

-Vic Fangio

“This is the Sean McVay of defense,” said Broncos defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, who coached three seasons with Staley between Chicago and Denver. “This is that young, bright mind that sees it all, that can communicate with people.”

-Ed Donatell

“It was just the energy he brought to the meetings, how he approached it,” Chubb said. “You could just tell the aura he had about himself. One of the best dudes I know personally.”

-Bradley Chubb

“Selfishly, I would love to have Coach Staley for obviously the rest of this year and next year and my career here,” Ramsey said. “But, I mean, he would be a great head coach, and there’s a lot of teams in the league right now who could use him.”

-Jalen Ramsey

A season after finishing ninth in defensive efficiency, the Rams have jumped to the top in multiple defensive categories. They rank first in defensive efficiency, yards allowed per game (281.9) and points allowed per game (18.5), and are tied for first in the NFL with four defensive touchdowns.

Jason La Canfora
@JasonLaCanfora

·

Jan 14

Brandon Staley, who has met w/Jets and Chargers (and possibly Lions to come) would bring a very strong staff of rising coaches, I’m told, including Texans DC Anthony Weaver, Colts DB coach Jonathan Gannon (great work with that secondary) and Bears DL coach Jay Rodgers (former QB)

Dave Birkett
@davebirkett

·

Jan 14

Word circulating yesterday was that Holmes mentioned Staley in his second interview… Lions can’t talk to him till Rams’ playoff run is done, don’t know if they will. But name mentioned at least.

2 Likes

With their QB situation, I can’t see the Rams beating the Packers this weekend, even with the defense playing out of its gourd.

I can see Rodgers pulling out a 14-13 win or something like that.

Which would obviously be helpful for the Lions if Staley’s the guy.

We will all be watching his defense closely tomorrow. Hopefully the Rams smash Rodgers 9 or 10 times!! :slight_smile:

1 Like