Breakout player offense and defense

My vote is for Quintez Cephus on offense. I think he will double his 2020 production. On defense my vote is for Julian Okwara. I think this scheme is a better fit for him. With Patricia gone and Julian being healthy I think he will be a sack machine!

DT Levi Onwuzurike. He can do a little of everything.

Quintez Cephus. Also.

Sewell and Derek Barnes. I think the Lions are going to be all about running the ball this year and Sewell is gonna be a beast. I also don’t think its going to take a lot to see some improvement on defense and Barnes is going to look like a “breath of fresh air”.

Swift and Okudah! The top 2 picks of the 2020 draft are going to have big sophomore seasons.

Honorable mention goes to Tracy Walker and Amon-Ra St. Brown.

5 Likes

In the future I won’t be able to deny my vision of both WR Kalif Raymond and CB Mike Ford becoming significant contributors this year under our new regime, if I continue to pimp them at every opportunity. So, never mind…

1 Like

Goff and Amon -Ra St Brown . defense?? Julian Okwara…

Quintez Cephus

Shaun Dion Hamilton

1 Like

Interesting one, sure hope you are right, We are desperate for a linebacker to step up.

1 Like

Vaitai and Tavai

I wish I actually believed that.

2 Likes

Breshad Perriman and Tracy Walker

2 Likes

Jamal Williams and Will Harris

This could be a best case scenario. If those 2 breakout + an additional LB, Lions are in for a quick “rebuild.”

Guess I would add DT to that as well…and Sewell. If we can establish a run game and get improved play out of the secondary, :rofl:

Breshad is my emotional choice. This would be an unbelievable story (lots of parallels between father’s and son’s situations), and I would really like to see big, vertical plays on offense.

I also think it has a real shot of happening. I think Perriman is more talented than his numbers suggest, and there’s certainly room for a Lions WR to make a name for himself.

The fact that we have so many choices is very interesting.

My break out players are Swift on offense and CB Okudah on defense. Honorable mentions are LOG Jonah Jackson and Tracy Walker who I think puts it all together as our starting free safety this season.

1 Like

Originally, I would’ve picked Swift too, but then I looked up the definition of breakout player.

A “breakout player” is a football player who has been ineffective or marginal in the past, but who suddenly becomes a football stud one year. [Couldn’t find a much better definition]. This suggests someone who hasn’t performed in the past or recent past, who suddenly becomes a special player.

With that in mind, I think Swift is already a special player (certainly not marginal or ineffective), who was limited by poor coaching and personnel decisions, i.e. continuing to play Adrian Peterson significant snaps after week 2 when he was no longer effective.

Okudah and Walker are both candidates, but for different reasons. Okudah because he was injured and ineffective in 2020 and played well below his lofty draft status; Walker because he was a marginal performer at safety in 2020, who was sometimes replaced in the lineup by the even more ineffective Will Harris.

2 Likes

BP is top ten in RAS for all WRs taken since 1998. The other 9:

The good-
Megaton
Andre Johnson
Chase Claypool
Javon Walker
Julio
V-Jax (RIP)

The Bad-
Joe Webb
Morris Boehringer
Matt Jones

So assuming that Chase continues his development the only other guys with better RAS than BP failed bc: 1:) they were a QB, 2:) they were a German who had never really played competitive football before 3:) they had a raging drug and alcohol problem.

I like BPs chances if he can just stay healthy (which is of course a massive if with him).

1 Like

I had no idea that Matt Jones was that kind of athlete.

I remember his combine performance pretty well. His long speed was always evident at Arkansas but the explosion was a bit of a revelation.

What I find interesting is that nobody could find more use for Joe Webb even as a gadget guy.

On offense I’m taking RB - D. Swift.

PFF doesn’t even have Swift ranked in the top 32 NFL running backs. See link below.

I personally think Swift is about to have a break out year and put up over 1500 all purpose yards.

On defense I’m taking LB - Jahlani Tavai.

Most Lions fans think he’s a waste of roster space. I personally think we used him wrong under MP and tried to make him into something he is not. I think MCDC has a plan to use him like he was used at Hawaii and I think he will shine in that role.