Brian Kelly to LSU

Thanks buddy! Me too. :wink:

I donā€™t think Urb fits the ND ā€œcultureā€. Fickel seems like an all too obvious fit. Midwestern guy, clean cut image. Iā€™d actually be surprised if that didnā€™t happen.

1 Like

Right but the timing is shit, unless Cincy blows it this weekend.

The answering machine scene is probably the best in the whole movieā€¦of many great scenes

1 Like

Not a UM fan (thank God), but the way in which they beat OSU gets Jim his extension. It was dominant. They bitchslapped a top team in the country.

Heā€™ll get paid.

Unless, of course, they lose to Iowa and screw it all up.

1 Like

Damn you ! I said up the thread to let me relish this!

2 Likes

Wow, how the mighty ND has fallen. Congratulations, Domers, you are now a ā€˜stepping stoneā€™ job. I only half kid. But, in all honesty, they have about 5 years to finally swallow their enormous pride and join a conference, or be relegated to the old dusty blanket that you still use for the dogs bedding, but will never make the cut for your California King again.

4 Likes

but i cant help myself rob gronkowski GIF

1 Like

Ed Orgeron was a lead recruiter at Miami 1988-1992.

https://apnews.com/article/0b9fd2a18fc8e7d3ad5552a495f2e9f8

In 2001, Pete Carroll was hired at USC and Orgeron was made recruuting coordinator. He recruited Reggie Bush among many others.

Everywhere Orgeron wentā€¦ recruiting scandals followed.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie: Brian Kelly to LSU fascinates me. It will dent Alabama recruiting and if he can get inroads into Texas too? Good Lawd because Louisana is a top football state to begin with. And I think he can compete with Saban in terms of coaching prowess.

But the scariest notion is for Michigan and Ohio State if Urban lands the ND gig.

LSU was already landing those kids. They just won the national championship with a stacked team. He will need to take what LSU has and coach them better. Heā€™s not entering an untapped school with a bunch of recruiting potential that hasnā€™t been realized. Its rare to see LSU outside of the top 10 recruiting classesā€¦and a majority of the time they land in the top 5.

One thing Kelly can do to help himself out is recruit better QBs. You really see all of that talent shine in the few instances theyā€™ve had good QB play.

Just was thinkingā€¦ LSU wouldnā€™t have won a title if they had not got a Big Ten 4th string QB to transfer there. But I hear all the talent comes from the SECā€¦ :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Kelly wonā€™t forget about the midwest either. Heā€™ll get the southern kids naturally, but he knows the ins and outs of recruiting in Michigan and especially Ohio - Ohio State has gotten beat from him several times on in state OLineman.

Yeah - if he had ever had a great QB at Notre Dame, things could have turned out different. Maybe that will change at LSU

Did those guys pick Kellyā€¦ or Notre Dame?

Having a national TV audience eveey weekā€¦ and being the favorite school of a religious affiliation can be major facrors in the college choice of some players.

Can Kelly do that?

Iā€™ve always perceived Kellyā€™s success almost solely as a function of his ability to recruit better talent than his competition. He doesnā€™t come off as any kind of super coach to me. Am I totally out to lunch here?

LOVED talking football with the fans there. They are huge both in NCAA and NFL.
I ran into a lot of fanatics that really knew their stuff, when I was down there.

Iā€™ve always thought these were cool. Theyā€™re everywhere in Louisiana.

s-l400

Unknown

Kellyā€™s time at GVSU, CMU, and Cincy shows that he can out-recruit his competition, at least at those levels. All of those teams were far more talented than their peers, with NFL talent (really saying something at the DII level).

Given NDā€™s cruddiness before his arrival, Iā€™d argue that most of the talent he acquired was due to him vs. the institution. Sure, NDā€™s going to get some guys because theyā€™re ND, but that works across the board at that level.

At the highest level of college FB, Iā€™d say ND the institution is more of an impediment than an asset.

1 Like

He also was caught in an affair scandal

Kelly has had only 5 players picked in 1st round at Notre Dame that he recruited since he arrived in 2010.

Kelly coached 4 other players drafted in the 1st round from 2011-2014 that he did NOT recruit and were already on campus when Kelly arrived.