Brisker vs Smoke Monday

Brisker is way up the charts, and is labeled as a hard hitting safety. Well, he is, but often way after his guy got the first down.

Now, look at Smoke Mondays tape. I worry that he’d get flagged for some of those hits and is border line taunting but this guy had 44 solo tackles, 9 for loss, 2 sacks, and 5 passes defended. 3 int’s in the last 3 years, all returned for TD’s. He almost got tossed in their bowl game for targeting but he hit with the shoulder, it was borderline.

1 Like

I still am not sure why Brisker is rated as high as he is. In this draft Hamilton is gone unless we do a trade down, but I think we still have some decent choices. I don’t think a safety has been drafted in the first in the last 2 drafts, but this will change in 2022, in fact there could be 2 of them. If we have already lost out on who we wanted at WR and if the LB’s are gone I like Cine with our second pick. Hill is a free safety, so unless we are dumping Walker we need someone to compliment him. It’s why I like Cine.

3 Likes

He’s got the “Want To” down…Love his enthusiasm and explosive power !! - GOALPOST

1 Like

That is not Smoke Monday tape, that is Smoke Monday highlights. Big difference. I like Smoke, but on a play-by-play basis he has a lot to work on (which is why he’s ranked lower). Especially his recognition in the pass game needs a lot of work, he pretty regularly takes the cheese. I also don’t know how well he’s gonna test, but Holmes has shown that he’ll take a less athletic guy with instincts over the opposite. Smoke reads the run game very well but gets himself way out of position against the pass.

Hard not to like his attitude though and as a later round guy, could be worth a flyer.

1 Like

Honestly I would probably take Hill or Cine over Hamilton. I don’t see what the big deal is with him other than his size.

At what point did I suggest that we should take Monday in any round? I didn’t, and every reel you see is a highlight reel. I posted it to show that a guy who is ranked hi like Brisker doesn’t show me anything more when it comes to being that “Hard Hitting Safety”. Like I mentioned, Brisker had hi lights where his guy had already gone past the first down marker and he was simply hitting them hard on the way out of bounds. I subsequently posted the guy I thought we should take, and there’s a very good chance we will have our pick at 31/32 if we want Cine.

Would I take Monday? Not before the 6th because I assume we would already have drafted a safety at that point. I would be surprised if Monday isn’t gone on Day 2.

My draft as of today would be:

1. Hutch
  2. Cine
  3. Bell
  4. Muma, Walker or Tindall
  5. Phidarian Mathis
  6. Jelani Woods…just got asked to the combine, if he’s gone I like Austin Allen.
  7. Pierre Strong
  8. Isaiah Weston
  9. Cole Kelley

I like Cine as well. The more I read and listen to posters and others…the more I like him.

At what point did I suggest that you did? When I said he could be worth a late round flyer, that was my own opinion. In fact everything I said was my opinion of a player you posted a video of. I assumed you wanted opinions when you did that.

You have to dig but there are cut ups of multiple games, both from all-22 and the broadcast angle. Everyone looks good on a highlight.

Personally I think we’ll bring a safety in via FA and won’t draft one until day 3. We’ll see.

2 Likes

I go back and forth with safety high in the draft. I do believe we sign a FA safety outside of resigning Walker. So we’ll see how that goes first. But man I like Cine…and I’ll like him even better if he is coached by Glenn and Pleasant.

1 Like

great insight to the overall discussion.

Not really loving this safety class, unfortunately.

1 Like

If we sign a FA safety like I think we should then this sounds like it would be a good late round pick
Let him learn how to strengthen his game from a veteran FA

“Smoke Monday” is the coolest “name” in this year’s draft. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Kenny Golladay and B Permian cost more combined APY last year, than T Walker and M Williams will next month…

Why even try and draft a safety? If you want, draft WRs at 32 and 34…. Then position is beyond set…

So is safety.

Walker- 26
M Williams- 26
Harris- 25
Moore- 26

St Brown- 23
Cephus- 24
Reynolds-26
D Bell?- 22
J Tolbert?- 22
Raymond - 28

As of season opener ages…

That’s a pretty talented safety and WR room…

It’s literally about 35M per year APY for the combined

That’s a bargain for 20% of total roster. Super value. No bad contracts, great ages.

Why not go this route?

I have no confidence that Dax or Brisker beats out Walker, and definitely not Marcus Williams.

However I’d take David Bell or Tolbert vs investing in Chark

Verone McKinley III

Screams a DC type player and would be shocked if he’s not a target at safety.

2 Likes

Smoked Brisket is good any day of the week, Monday or not.

3 Likes

So, Senor Smoke did indeed get ejected in his bowl game, but in the 3rd quarter after getting the earlier targeting call overturned.

Like it, so make it so.

Vegetarians prefer Sauce Gardner…
but to each his own…

1 Like