Brisker vs Smoke Monday

Nice.

I respect your POV and FA comes first. So we’ll see their vision with FA soon enough.

I’m still on the draft a safety train. We’ll see what they do in FA.

I do like that you have Kalif Raymond on your list

Verone McKinley seems like a safety that would interest Holmes on day 3. Probably not all that great of an athlete but that guy’s a playmaker.

Preformatted textTotally agree.

@farmerted It’s a deep class and there’s a lot to like.

I am curious what don’t you like about it?

This is what I think is going to happen as well.

I think we’re going to try to resign Walker and if we do than S won’t come into play until day 3.

If we lose Walker to FA then I think S may come into play as early as round two.

But I expect us to draft a safety at some point.

I like McKinley myself I can see us targeting him. But only if we lose Walker in free agency. McKinley is more a FS like Walker.

If we resign Walker their are a few guys that I can see us targeting.

1. Leon O’Neil JR. plays the SS/box safety role. This dude is a stud when playing downhill.

2. Yusuf Corker. I think he’s versatile enough to play multiple roles. He’s a bit of an unknown but he has big upside. Very explosive type
    Player.

3. Sterling Weatherford is my sleeper pick. I really like this kid. He’s a big physical S who played both in the Box and back as a single high. Just great natural instincts and has the ability to play multiple roles. He’s just seems like the perfect compliment to Walker and should be available in rounds 4-5.

You could be right. Personally I prefer having two guys back there with serious coverage skills. You are right that McKinley’s in the box chops aren’t going to wow anybody but I think being elite back there in coverage makes up for it.

Verone’s a vegan, you naughty minded fella.

1 Like

If we get a starter in round 3 or later in this draft I will be thrilled.

Not me, because the only reason they will start is because there is no one to beat out.

1 Like

The thing is both him and Walker are best in space. Neither is anything special when asked to play up in the box or to crash a gap. So if that’s all we have at safety than their both liabilities.

I prefer more versatile safeties myself. Preferably big physical types with range. However I’m not opposed to the classic FS / box Safeties pairing.

I figure we desperately need someone who’s good in run support. If I have to watch another year of the likes of Will Harris who is a liability in both the run and pass game than I’m gonna really lose faith in our coaching staff.

Neil brings a presence in the box but he’s more of a role player type.

Weatherford is more versatile. I really like this kid.

So is Corker but he’s also a project but I’m looking at him in the later rounds.

That’s one of the reasons I like Pitre a lot as an option, he’s essentially a box safety with the athletic chops of a deep safety. He’s not as big as a typical box safety but man it hasn’t mattered much in college, the guy’s beastly around the box. Best instincts of any of these guys.

He’s got some work to do when he plays deep but he’s got the work ethic, smarts and most importantly athletic ability to figure it out. I don’t think we’ll draft him as again, I expect we’ll sign someone in FA, but we could do much worse.

I actually think Dax Hill’s a similar sort of safety, or at least he was this year, but he’s an even better athlete than Pitre. Not nearly as instinctive and doesn’t hold up as well against all the bigger bodies, but a similar guy you can do a lot of stuff with.

1 Like

He’s someone I mentioned some time ago, man Baylor’s D has flourished the last couple years. Their DC Phil Snow used to be the linebackers coach with the Lions many moons ago, he’s doing an incredible job there.

IDK there’s a Storm Duck too

That’s where a guy like Dax hill is so valuable though. Because he has the speed and abilities to play outside or slot corner as well.

I think my pick at 66, if he is still there (Jeremiah has him at 50 in his top 50) is Lewis Cine. Undersized but instinctual vs the run. I’m sure he can play 2 deep as well

He’ll be long gone.

Yup, that’s pretty good, too… I hadn’t seen him.