Brisker vs Smoke Monday

Smoke Monday is such an awesome name. Sounds like an MC or something.

I trust Brad in general but I really trust him at safety and WR. I’m not going to panic if he waits on either one of those.

1 Like

That’s a fair comment and I wouldn’t panic either depending on how they proceed. When people panicked last year after we took Alim I didn’t, I thought this was a guy we could really use esp after PFF’s grade on him. We need so many players for starters and depth I simply hope the early picks are plug and play.

LOL… Lions fans expecting to fill every possible need in the 1st draft of a complete rebuild.

I was thrilled when they announced Alim as the pick. :+1:

1 Like

Yep, we won’t fill every starter position this year but should be able to come close. Next year my hope is we are just a few starters away and the rest of the draft and FA is simply about depth after the first 3 rounds and some savvy spending in FA.

In an attempt to turn this into a dual smoked brisket thread, what is everyone’s favorite smoker?

I just had my first “bad” brisket this week, at a restaurant. Which is the first time my wife said we needed to get our own smoker. Challenge accepted! Thoughts?

Here is a link to some discussion about smokers… from this forum.

1 Like

The Big Lebowski Thank You GIF

1 Like

One more thing about brisket… is that you can make a pretty dang good brisket without smoking it for 14-16 hours.

My cheap smoker is not insulated, so keeping the temp fairly constant in the winter is a challenge.

I started experimenting with smoking the brisket (flat portion only) at 200-250 degrees for 3-4 hours, then placing in covered pan and cook in oven @ 275 degrees for a few hours (3-4 usually) until it is quite tender… flip once if possible…. then I place back on smoker for short time to make sure I have a nice crust.

for smoke… I use hickory and apple predominately… sometimes mix in some cherry and pecan…. and combine with charcoal for ease of cooking.

Rub for brisket… I like lots of black pepper, some salt, and smaller amount of my rub I use for pork and chicken (mix of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, thyme, oregano, pepper, cayenne)

1 Like

If you’re a Michigander (especially from the west side of the state:

I strictly use pecan pellets.

1 Like

I have a Weber smokey mountain cooker, it does a good job, easy to use, and it can double as a pizza oven with some easy mods. You are going to want your own thermometers though, but that probably goes for every smoker.

1 Like

who says we draft 2 WR I might take one early but not two.
If we sign Raymond an Reynolds to go with Cephius an Brown we don’t need 2 WR early in draft I would take one not two.

Same at S if we sign FA Williams an resign Walker you can get a solid you can get a good Safety end of rd 3 to go with two experienced Safeties

He along with about 3 others fall in rd 5 ranges at Safety

I see mocks with a S going 3rd. In todays game, i guess it makes sense …

What is the highest a Safety has been drafted?

I’ll be surprised if he lasts there. I like him at 34 personally, but I’m just a big fan of the player and his potential fit next to a FS.

I do as well and I think he brings the type of versatility were looking for in a Safety.

I think he does. In fact I think he will likely be there at 34.

Brisker will go before Pitre. I think he goes between 20-40.

Pitre I think will go between. 32-50.

But I would definitely take Brisker first.

1 Like

Lions drafted benny blades 3OA

1 Like

The Browns drafted a safety 2nd overall (Eric Turner in 1991).

1 Like

The best safety to come out of this class not named Hamilton will be Lewis Cine. He’s a downhill player who teams will hate to play against. Some may note his ball skills as average but in my eyes he’s a guy that attacks the football whenever he gets the chance and will help in the run game. Looks like a star in the making to me kinda like Bob Sanders.

1 Like

I’ve watched a lot of Cine. He’s an easy player to like. He reminds me of Quandre Diggs. He has the tools to turn into a heck of a safety. But he also has some of his game to clean up.

I like Brisker better. Similar players but Brisker is more developed than Cine.

This draft has several options available to use if we choose to let Walker hit free agency.

If Walker is back I like Pitre to pair with him.

1 Like