Browns DC Jim Schwartz on being a HC again: 'You always aspire to the top of the profession'

I think he’s got a much better shot in this hiring cycle than in any past year. Will be interesting to see if he’s a former Lions HC who actually got another HC job.

3 Likes

Yep I’m rooting for him. he was a cocky little ahole when he was HC here, but he’s always been a great DC (and I’d take him over AG in half a heartbeat) but it sounds like some age and wisdom has benefitted him greatly.

wife and I met him when he was newly hired as HC. they had that event for season ticket holders to come and watch open practice, meet the players and coaches, etc. got a pic with the wife and rookie stafford. Funny thing, we were just on the waiting list and actually cancelled, but they invited us anyway so of course we went.

he was incredibly arrogant and definitely gave off the ‘smartest man on the planet’ short man disease vibes.

He has grown and healed and it’s great to see.

7 Likes

Gym shorts
Great coach

1 Like

I think he’ll be a good coach 2nd time around. He wasn’t awful in his first run, just raw.

3 Likes

Yep dude sure understands defensive football. Everywhere he goes his defense plays well.

The key for him would be to land a job where a qb is already in place, hire a qualified OC and let Shorts fix the defense.

2 Likes

Hopefully he stays in the AFC or at least not in the NFCN

2 Likes

I think he is smart, but players can see though his fake sense of bravado. he can prep and game plan, but gets very low marks as a ‘leader of men’. fraud, IMO

Notwithstanding the “carry him off the field” game against Buffalo in 2014 where Martin Mayhew going cheap at K cost the Lions home field advantage as the division winner [Alex Henery missed three make-able FGs to cause the Lions to lose 17-14], since then, the Lions are actually 2-0 vs Schwartz’s defenses with the Eagles, winning 24-23 (that was the multiple personal foul game), and 27-24 in 2019 under, gasp, Matt Patricia.

1 Like

I guess many around here hold him in higher esteem than I as a head coach anyways.

His emotion and maturity imo were lacking and the team followed suit. I think that can fly as a coordinator but when you’re the HC I think it can work against them from
Leadership.

Prime example still shines of him letting his players carrying him off the field in Detroit as if he was done super dirty when they paid him like he was Calvin Johnson level coach ( amongst highest at the time )

Then you add hand shake gate and arguing with players like on the field …

Gym Schwartz would’ve got the penalty Dan didn’t at the end of the cowboy game

He’d have to present a great plan of his learning from previous attempt at head coach with 3 hall of fame caliber players and not winning a thing

I think that is the point, has he grown from his HC experience and then the following DC roles, hopefully he has and will be given a shot to prove it in the interview process.

1 Like

The key for him would be to refrain from being a repugnant a-hole. Don’t bring your 20 years of objections with past teams to your new team. That’s the problem with contrarians like Schwartz, he’s holding onto baggage and every success results in more intense arrogance.

2 Likes

Kinda reminds me of the hoody with less success. Great defensive minds…kinda arrogant pricks but they sure can create a good defense

1 Like

I would clump BB in a different camp. Gym Shorts has his nose in the air, Bill has his on the grindstone.

2 Likes

I still wish he woulda blew Jim Harbaugh jaw out on Ford Field lol

2 Likes

Not everyone is made to be a head coach imho

Know where you give services to others optimally not selfishly or ignorantly …

Josh D should stay a coordinator as Jim should and even Bevell should…

I’m hoping our three coordinators feel this way as I think with time to mature as a whole (TEAM) they will simply get better imho

Me too.

That said, Harbaugh would kill shorts, cuz shorts is a fraud.

Maybe he can get a job with Arizona.

Help Sherif Joe keep his work teams full.

Why hopefully ?

Not that I don’t hold it but he wasn’t great for us fans and he got paid and let his players carry him
Off ford field. I don’t even know if he’s one of the genuinely good guys of the nfl

I do think there’s a plethora of deserving coaches who deserve an opportunity or another opportunity if Schwartz deserves it.

McDaniel didn’t seem to learn much in round two and there’s not many coaches who have a worse winning percentage vs number of games coached than Schwartz ( I’m guessing because he got extra years to accumulate games and loses most seem to get fired at 3 years if they have a terrible win percentage )

I’d see Schwartz as bringing significant baggage to prove he has grown
Vs somebody equally as qualified who didn’t come with that baggage

Not many coaches tak an 0-16 team into the playoffs in 3 years. Did/Does he have maturing to do, maybe, he blew it here in his last couple years, but he did turn the team around after being 0-16.
His best route to becoming a good leader of men, come take over for AG and become a student of master leadership under MCDC. :innocent:

He was a great turnaround coach. He just couldn’t pivot to a successful maintenance phase. Early returns suggest Dan can but we’ll know more about that next year.

4 Likes