Browns DC Jim Schwartz on being a HC again: 'You always aspire to the top of the profession'

Harbaugh would have smoked him

Still kind of sounds like a shmrarmy douche. I could of course be biased.

I still think he was handicapped by Mayhew and Mayhews questionable drafting after building a playoff team

4 Likes

And cap management.

But yeah, Mayhew seemed to pivot to filling holes rather than the initial talent trumps all approach.

2 Likes

I don’t really care that much about the owner’s money but I didn’t understand the leverage Schwartz had when they redid his deal making him one of nfls highest paid coaches

Then the way he went out with the crowd and getting carried off ford field as a big middle finger to the owners who showed so much faith in him.

He walked with $18m and imo had to own the mistakes that led to his downfall.

Because why not?
Can people not grow and learn from previous experiences, I know I have, as sales rep, regional mgr and national mgr now small business owner. I took previous mistakes and grew, changed. So, I have no issue saying I hope he gets another chance, if he gets a job good, if he doesn’t, good. I enjoy seeing people grow and improve. Same thought for the other guys, whether it’s R Morris or others, I hope they get a chance. If they don’t they don’t and I won’t lose sleep over it.

Does it offend you that he would get another chance?

2 Likes

I’m in a conundrum

Generally I root for these folks to succeed but Schwartz does bother me in a way that
I don’t mind if he gets another chance
I just don’t need it to be with lions.
There’s other capable great DCs they could get that don’t come with the baggage

I see it as Schwartz burned his bridge with ownership which gave him $18m reasons to act like a pro coach who knows getting fired or boo’d comes with the job and isn’t necessarily personal.

I wouldn’t be thrilled to have Patricia back but I’m not mad he’s continuing his career.

Well, I misunderstood the thread then, I don’t think he would come back to Detroit nor do I think they would want him.

I was more speaking to his chance as a HC again.
Partially as it would be another change in Lions history to see a former Lions HC get another opportunity

1 Like

Schwartz took an 0-16 team to the playoffs in 3 years. That’s incredibly hard to do. Schwartz changed the culture here and will be a slam dunk hire for someone

2 Likes

would rather have his defense than AGs

i agree!

That would be a change.

There’s a part of me that thinks … it might’ve been even worse behind the scenes than we knew because he’s gone on to have such success as a DC again … this is a decade. That’s a lot of image repairing.

I’m sure 3 hall of fame type players is a great way to start

You almost have to try to mess up that type of foundation through ineptitude.
Jimmy Johnson turned that type of foundation into a dynasty.

Martin Mayhew turned that roster over in pretty quick fashion, assembling a group of very good picks along with some perfect Free Agency decisions. KVB and Burleson? Shaun Hill, Stephen Tulloch…

We also seen areas of the draft that began to raise eyebrows, in particular Amari Spievey. I think this was our first rumblings of MM and Schwartz not being on the same page. This is where we maybe compare MM/Schwartz to Homes/Campbell and gain an appreciation for just how collaborative the process we have now ~really~ is. Unlike Spievey, they drafted Iffy to move to Safety.

I’ve often said that Suh cost MM his job here, and I still believe it. Ebron sucked and may have been the straw that broke the camel’s back, but Suh had it hanging on by a thread. Unlike many of my Den brethren, I still fault Suh for that more than Mayhew. He was a different kind of dude that didn’t/doesn’t think like any other player thinks. His 2010 drat-mate McCoy re-upped with Tampa in the same fashion Mayhew expected Suh to. Mayhew was willing to make him the highest-paid defender in the NFL, but it wasn’t enough for Suh. He was foundational to the team and was going to paid as such, but it didn’t matter to him. There was no “legacy” focus with him like Campbell drove home with his team this year. It was all about “brand”… his own. Could Mayhew have managed the cap with the expectation that his DT was hostile toward re-signing? Sure. But what’s the point? You get 1 more year out of him on the tag before he walks.

(sorry to venture off onto a Mayhew tangent in a Schwartz thread, but some of his failings here did involve personnel decisions on top of his own leadership issues)

3 Likes

Great memory skills, bruh!

Wow, I’m surprised at the level of disdain some on here have for Schwartz. Seems kind of out of whack to me, but to each their own I guess.

And then someone even mentions they prefer Patricia over Schwartz? That is some next level hatred there, and seems like someone letting their emotions get in the way of sound judgement.

3 Likes

Never Patricia over any

But I do have “disdain” for Schwartz. Some feel he was the perfect hire yet I think Caldwell or DC would’ve been as good to better if hired when Schwartz was

Mayhew did give him talent and Schwartz made decisions on who made the team. I feel like

If people give Lions hard time for not being able to win with Stafford

How many head coaches got themselves fired while drafting a first round hall of fame Super Bowl winning QB?
That plus Calvin and Suh …

@LineBusy Agee on Suh. He was key to everything lions did but I think it also spoke to the priorities at the time of the team which imo was not one where winning was prioritized over the business. IMO it was shown to still be true when lions asked for Calvin’s unearned money back.
But now I think at the top there is ownership that prioritizes winning and that might’ve swayed a guy like Suh.

American Horror Story What GIF by AHS

1 Like

I’ve been on the “business” side of conversations before, but I’m probably not there in this conversation. Mayhew and Lewand had relationships and trust from the family. That family wasn’t cheap, when you think about how much they would spend in certain areas. Buy, they were cheap in some areas, like making players pay at the cafeteria for dinner time meals.

They were misguided more than cheap, IMO. The Calvin thing was an ego response or it was a hard line regarding cap, but they didn’t go after the mil because they were Bidwell cheap, they went after it because nobody was smart enough to say “this is stupid as hell, get ahold of yourself “.

One big mistake Mayhew and Shorts made was Best. Yes he was super talented… but he was a walking, talking concussion who didn’t last long unfortunately.

A lot of teams had red flags on him and had him undraftable

2 Likes