Bryan Bresee, I can't understand the lack of love here

From Clemson U that brought you Grady Jarrett, DJ Reader, Christian Wilkins, and Dexter Lawrence at DT the most recent years comes along after is the #1 OVERALL recruit regardless of position. Bryan Bresee. 6’5 300 lb super athletic DT and strong as well. Reminds me of Richard Seymour.

That alone makes me like him as a prospect, actually really like him. Let alone that he’s a A+ kid, who has battled adversity in his family, and is only 21 years old.

I have never seen such unwarranted disgust for a prospect than him. Even these mock draft “experts” have him falling round 2. If so, then that’s a steal go get him. This guy should definitely be in play at #18…wouldn’t be surprised at #6 with our need, Holmes attempts to find that interior pass rush, and the fact he’s drafted lineman 5 of his 6 top picks.

Be prepared for Bresee, that’s all I’m saying.

Why the hate here… Because Clemson DE suck basically in the pros? His stats? I mean c’mon dude sitll had 4 sacks playing NT.

Oh yeah…he’s the anchor of the team that has steadily been one of the best defenses for quite a while now.

3 Likes

Bc he isn’t a very good DT. He sucks in short yardage situations. Gets pushed back. Gets taken out in those situations. He is bad in red zone. There is tape of his that he is a day 3 prospect and there is tape where he is day 1….he isn’t worth a first……we also run the wrong scheme for him. Just not a good fit at all.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say that he sucks at DT. He’s a solid college DT. I’m just not sure he has the strength to play the position at a high level in the NFL.

2 Likes

People always ask, ‘What’s the most (weight) Bryan has done?’” Reeves said.

“And I tell them, ‘I really don’t think I’ll ever see another kid do some of the stuff he’s done in the gym at his age.’”

Bresee, 18 and from nearby Damascus, Md., once bench pressed 455 pounds. Reeves has seen the 6-foot-5, 290-pounder squat 645 pounds and power clean 315 pounds. The latter happened when he was still a high school junior and building his reputation on the football field as the top prospect of the 2020 class.

Bresee’s high school coach at Damascus, Eric Wallich, once thought Georgia was the favorite to land Bresee. But the lineman instantly clicked with

I’ll be shocked if he fell off since these days, after being at Clemson for 3 years

2 Likes

That’s all well and good. Not saying he isn’t a physical specimen. They take him out in situations you want him to excel. He gets pushed around. The tape is there. This season.

2 Likes

I understand that. Also know he was dealing with his sister dying of cancer, coming off surgery, and had an illness of his own.

But a big strong physical athletic freak that has a non stop motor, with that type of raw strength, 21 years old and room to grow.

Wouldn’t be surprised one bit if Holmes has him as his Penei Sewell.

Not saying he is that good of a prospect, but seems like a guy Holmes would love that would fit our culture and need.

1 Like

He isn’t a scheme fit. The mocks having him in the second are accurate. He would be a horrible pick. It would have to be him being there day 3……

I like him. He’s a penetrating DT. He has a quick first step and he’s strong. I hope we take him. Plus, last year, he was coming off ACL surgery. That takes a year to get to full strength. I’ve lobbied for him in the past. May be available at 18. I don’t think he makes it to 48.

To me, he also fills the 2nd biggest need on our entire team. DT with pass rushing ability.

1 Like

He was overrated coming into the season, now maybe he’s become a little underrated, but I think the area of late 1st/early 2nd is about right. That’s where I have him ranked. And I don’t care about his recruiting grade or any of that, all that says is great athlete and yeah, he is. But at this point so is everyone. Mazi Smith is a better athlete, and he weights 15-20 pounds more.

I admit it’s possible that what he put on tape the past 2 years was due to injury and tragedy. It’s why I haven’t dropped him even further. His freshman year he had some phenomenal flashes. But it would be one thing if he struggled as a freshman then improved every year. Going backwards isn’t what you want to see in a prospect.

7 Likes

I agree with @QBHATER90, the tape shows him getting washed out by talent he should be dominating. He was a great high school player and I agree with the quotes (from high school). My problem is he should be improving every year and becoming more dominating. His tape does not show a top 10 talent. It shows a big guy with good movement and decent power. He’s great in a straight line but lateral agility and more importantly lateral strength does not show up. He struggles to control his gaps, plays too high and gets shoved all over. He can move off those blocks with his long arms but it’s not enough to make up for the space he gives up.

I’d take him later in the 1st, I don’t think he will fall to the 2nd because he has tools you can work with and has shown ability in the past.

2 Likes

Yep - Mazi has gotten better every year and was Feldmans #1 Freak athlete this year. Guess who almost made #1 last year - Aidan Hutchinson.

The 6-foot-3, 337-pound senior has rare power and agility. So rare, in fact, it’s hard to find the right superlative to begin with. But let’s start with this: Smith does 22 reps on the bench press, but that’s with 325 (not 225). He close-grip benched 550 pounds. He vertical-jumps 33 inches. He broad-jumped 9-4 1/2. Smith, who had 37 tackles last season, has clocked a 4.41 shuttle time, which would’ve tied the best by any defensive tackle at this year’s NFL Scouting Combine, and it would’ve been better than any defensive tackle weighing 310 pounds or more in the past decade. His 6.95 3-cone time would’ve been by far the fastest among defensive tackles in Indianapolis. The fastest was 7.33. Smith’s 60-yard shuttle time is 11.90.

I know he does not get the love on this board but his floor is really good and I trust this staff to get the most out of his rare athleticism.

3 Likes

Definitely drafting this kid for what you think he could become, not for what he is right now. And when you factor the crap he’s gone through, it’s understandable if he dropped off in production.
Now will he grow to his potential? The ultimate draft conundrum

1 Like

Although his knee concerns me, I like Bryan. Assuming he checks out medically, I wouldn’t mind him at 18.

3 Likes

Torn ACL in college, future Lion for sure! It’s just a matter of when, not if.

This is shaping up to be a nice draft for DT

1 Like

You know, it’s easy to look at some of the recent (last 15 years) drafts and look at this one as being pretty lame. But then when you start looking into some of those other years a bit closer you realize that, yeah, this really isn’t a bad draft for DTs at all. Like, we remember the Suh/McCoy or Vea/Payne drafts but forget the ones that had no 1st rounders.

3 Likes

A Clemson DT #1 recruit
Big dog from Georgia same HS as Sapp
U of M athletic NT
Another big guy from Baylor NT
An Undersized leverage DT from Pitt
NT from Texas
Couple DE/DT tweeners
Wisconsin and MSU both got a 6’4 315 kid
Wake Forest & Bowling Green highly graded PFF

2 Likes

I watched a lot of Clemson football this year because they were so loaded with prospects to watch. I saw flashes of what Bresee could do. One play he busts through the G and T double team block and chases the QB down on a RPO to the opposite side of the field. The next play he gets a good bull rush and the DE gets the sack. He looked like JJ Watt. Then he gets completely washed out on a run play. He sits out the next 2 series on defense. I saw this a lot where he would make one splash play and then he just looked gassed. He did not have the sustained strength and stamina that he showed early in his career. He does play high at times which hurts him in short yardage runs.
I think Brad has shown he does not shy away from the risk on an injured player with huge upside so it would not surprise me if he was our pick at 18. It’s hard to evaluate other than what you see on the field and that was very inconsistent.

3 Likes

I think it’s just a testament to the strength of the draft class.
When it comes to who we take with the first round picks, I only know who I don’t want, and Breese DOESN’T fall into that category.
I wouldn’t be upset if we got him at 18, but, I find I agree with, my arch nemesis, on this one. He doesn’t really seem like a great scheme fit.
Might just be perception?

1 Like

Well he did take Levi and really like him.?

Funny you wanna take him at the top of the draft when he had dropped on every board I see. You compare him to a Sewell ? he has been through a lot but still his play doesn’t match well for #6 pick.