But How Did The NFC North Do Compared to Lions

I made bold predictions last year and nailed 'em. So, here’s me stretching my luck. We finish 2nd in our division next year. I base this solely on off-seasons and draft. Aside from Safety, we won the NFCN off-season arms race so far at Receiver, DL and OL (by standing pat). Here’s what the drafts say…

The Pack: Attacking defense got stronger with teammates from Georgia leading the way. Enagbare very good value late. Christian Watson will spell Valdez-Scantling. We didn’t gain any ground on the Pack.

Round 1: No. 22 Quay Walker, ILB
Round 1: No. 28 Devonte Wyatt, DT
Round 2: No. 34 Christian Watson, WR
Round 3: No. 92 Sean Rhyan, G
Round 4: No. 132 Romeo Doubs, WR
Round 4: No. 140 Zach Tom, G
Round 5: No. 179 Kingsley Enagbare, LB
Round 7: No. 228 Tariq Carpenter, LB
Round 7: No. 234 Jonathan Ford, DT
Round 7: No. 249 Rasheed Walker, OT
Round 7: No. 258 Samori Toure, WR

Vikings: They got one of the best safeties that we coveted (and Chicago got the other one). They shouldn’t have been a bad team these last few years, so this is a wild card team to me but I think we gained on them. Hutch comin’ for Cousins.

Round 1: No. 32 Lewis Cine, S
Round 2: No. 42 Andrew Booth Jr., CB
Round 2: No. 59 Ed Ingram, G
Round 3: No. 66 Brian Asamoah, LB
Round 4: No. 118 Akayleb Evans, CB
Round 5: No. 165 Esezi Otomewo, DE
Round 5: No. 169 Ty Chandler, RB
Round 6: No. 184 Vederian Lowe, OT
Round 6: No. 191 Jalen Nailor, WR
Round 7: No. 227 Nick Muse, TE

The Bears: They got my favorite S, which sux. And they got good value on the lineman they chose. Other than that, meh. We needn’t fear the Bears. We definitely gained ground on them. Who is Justin Fields throwing to with Hutch and company on his heals?

Round 2: No. 39 Kyler Gordon, CB
Round 2: No. 48 Jaquan Brisker, S
Round 3: No. 71 Velus Jones Jr., WR
Round 5: No. 168 Braxton Jones, OT
Round 5: No. 174 Dominique Robinson, LB
Round 6: No. 186 Zachary Thomas, OT
Round 6: No. 203 Trestan Ebner, RB
Round 6: No. 207 Doug Kramer, C
Round 7: No. 226 J’atyre Carter, G
Round 7: No. 254 Elijah Hicks, S,
Round 7: No. 255 Trenton Gill, P

2 Likes

I like the Pack’s draft. That said, we did gain a step with Devonte Adams going to the Raiders. I like their new WR, but we still gained a little.

Nice post.

3 Likes

Dont sleep on the other packers wr pick… he might be better at first

I think we will smoke the North, inspired, deep, Defense with a creative awesome Offense.

1 Like

Did all 3 of last year’s predictions come true?

We didn’t gain on the pack?
Erin only wishes he had the weapons Goff has!
We have 6 solid WR’s starting out. 5 with NFL playing experience, and the best WR in the draft.
Also added another solid TE.
We going to cut a solid RB.
This year, the Lions serve notice.
Being the best team in the NFCN hasn’t meant much the last decade. Time to change that.
Our time!

6 Likes

The Vikings made a stupid trade with us but I really liked the guys they chose. I liked Cine a lot and Booth was a steal where they got him. I was also a big Asamoah fan, he’s gonna be a problem for a long time. I don’t think they’ll get much better overall until they move on from Cousins, but they could be a playoff team.

I didn’t like Chicago’s draft at all.

I thought aside from their first 3 picks (including a terrible trade-up for Watson) the Packers did really well. Rhyan will fit like a glove for them, and it really hurt me to see them get Zach Tom, he was one of my favorite mid-round guard prospects. I think they probably stole Enagbare late, and Carpenter’s an intriguing athlete. I even liked Toure a lot too, though @curioushusker can probably speak more on him. All in all not a great draft because I thought they bottled their early picks, but they should at least have a really, really good defense.

1 Like

Cine almost wasn’t in the NFC North:

1 Like

Still would have been in the NFC Central :laughing:

1 Like

Packers are going to have a very good defense, a good running game and Aaron Rodgers. They are going to win 11 or 12 games unless someone smashes Rodgers.

I think the Lions have a real shot at 2nd in the division. The Bears and Vikes don’t scare me.

I respect the Pack, but, they don’t scare me.
Time for a changing of the guard.

3 Likes

Rodgers is getting older, doesn’t move like he used to, doesn’t have Adams anymore who dictated coverages.

But, the Pack still got the zebras and a very good defense. They will be tough to beat.

3 Likes

Those were the only three Vikings picks i really liked though. I’m also lower on Cine than most. Love him in the run game but for whatever reason he doesn’t seem to be all that good in coverage despite his amazing measurables. Like you I am a big Booth fan and Asamoah seems like an immediate and long term starter at WILL.

I agree that the Packers did fairly well. Probably a top ten draft. The Bears draft was meh but if the have their first I’d probably think they did fine.

The Vikings passed on the receiver we took to let us take the receiver we took so that they could trade down to take a guy who already proved he can’t cover the receiver we took.

John Goodman Lol GIF by Roseanne

7 Likes

A little bit different, but I remember when the Lions took Terry Fair the pick before the Vikings took Randy Moss. Fair could not cover Moss on his best day and Randy’s worst day. What a disaster. I still see Bobby Ross uttering the words “Terry Fair” on draft day. SMFH.

1 Like

I am a little simple minded when it comes to that stuff, but I always think about it. This year the draft was loaded with edge defenders and offensive tackles. My simple mind asks “can this guy block that guy?”

Yep. I think anyway.

1. Lions had most rushing yards in the previous decade at least at 1886
  2. There were only 2 guys in the NFL with more pix than Oruwariye. Other stud was Amon-Ra.
  3. Stafford had the bag game late in 2021 and Rams still won.
1 Like

I like your take but in the last decade, only Jim Caldwell’s teams beat the Pack as much as they lost to the Pack. They went 13-4 last year. We haven’t gained on them yet.

Well said, and I agree.

Dan Campbell has beat the Pack as much as he has lost to the Pack.

taylor swift suck it GIF

1 Like