Bye week = Trade deadline talk

Chandler Jones would probably be my first choice. I was just about to post about him. I doubt he’s on the market though. At 29 he’s a good bet to outperform the remaining two years on his contract. Still $31.5m is a lot of coin so perhaps a second would be enough to pry him away from the Cards.

1 Like

I’ll be honest about it, maybe when guys like Daniels, Hand, and Bryant return and get up to speed, our pass rush will improve. Flowers looks to be rounding into shape, A’Shawn is playing well, and so is Devon Kinnard. So, maybe they’ll be okay if they can’t pry Jones loose from the Cards, and I’m not sure I want to give up anything more than a 2nd. OTOH, it could be that a much better pass rush could push these guys up near the top of the conference, maybe even make it to the SB if not actually winning it.

'Course, some other things need to go right for that to happen.

1 Like

Depends on how much of a “win now” mode they are in, vs how much they expect from Hand and Bryant. I have a feeling Quinn/Patricia like those guys a lot.

I do think Quinn will do whatever moves he can that will have most impact, and a player like him would push us to another level of contention.

Same with Patrick Peterson. Coverage sacks!

I want to be careful about giving up too much draft capital. I think BQ’s has proven pretty successful and reliably at finding useful pieces in the first three to four rounds with Teez being the obvious exception.

Also, some positions that we could use some depth at WR, RB, QB, OT are all looking to be pretty deep this year.

1 Like

That’s why I’m a proponent of something like a 5th for Gio Bernard if the Bengals would do that.

What I find interesting about Peterson is that Keim keeps publicly spouting off about how he’s not getting traded.

IMO GM’s are a bit like politicians in that the way that you know that they are lying is that their lips are moving. Therefore I think it’s quite likely that Keim would like to move PP and is posturing for value

1 Like

I think we are always in ‘win now’ mode, as are most teams (to varying degrees, obviously). The difference is where most teams - and fans - are thinking upgrade when it comes to perceived weaknesses, the Pats look for their depth guys to step up, and I think we’ll do the same thing. I think Quinn will always be open to improving the roster but it will be the bottom of the roster, for the most part, with guys who can step up. Bit for the most part I expect our ‘weaknesses’ to be addressed by guys already on the roster.

1 Like

That’s what I suspect too. We got spoiled last year with the Harrison trade. Probably won’t be a common thing. From what the fellas say, we’re in a good cap situation now, but we do have a lot of guys that will need to be re-upped, after this season.

Which does argue against a trade for somebody like Ramsey or Jones, a big name that eats up a lot of your cap space and a high draft pick or two. OTOH, it could be that the Lions are just getting into the window of opportunity for making a serious run at the division, conference and even the SB. I’m tired of waiting for next year, screw that. Let’s win something THIS year, even if it’s only a playoff game.

1 Like

That’s a good problem to have. If you have a bunch of great players to the point where you can start anyone, you’ve done something right.

2 Likes

Here’s a name I haven’t seen thrown around…Yannick Ngakoue, DE, Jax

1. He held out for a short while wanting a contract extension (that he didn’t get).
  2. Gets to the QB and strips ball when he gets there.
  3. He’s only 24
1 Like

We really need a take the top off of a Defense WR to complete the room .
WR Devante Parker at 6ft 3 who runs a 4.4 forty has the size , speed and skills to be an asset here with a QB in Stafford who can get him the ball .
Miami we already know are sellers and I think he could be had reasonably priced .
Robby Anderson WR of the Jets… I LOVE THIS GUY would also fit the bill but his off field antics thus far are not a quality of his.

1 Like

Falcons may want to move Beasley but his contract is pricey considering he’s only had one good year

Parker could be cheap. I mean very cheap.

1 Like

Yeah I think so , really though it is a crime thus far to not have a weapon with take the top off the D speed for Stafford and Quinn is to blame , these guys and types can be had.
That kind of weapon even as a decoy would be a game changer and surely lighten the 8 man fronts our running game has been experiencing.

Height and speed can be worth a lot. Im not sure if we need another WR though. Unless Danny is out for awhile. Still think we need a true pass rusher, and cover LB. I would also like to upgrade the oline.

Yes.
Im still wondering what Hand and/or Bryant can do, in terms of edge pressure.

1 Like

Don’t think they will be more then 5/6 sacks a year kinda guys.

1 Like

As long as they both do it (they play the same position), it’s like having Lawrence Taylor at half the price!

I think we have a good idea of what Hand is, but Bryant is a big question mark. I have high hopes for him. I’m just a fan though. I’m still hoping Ty Johnson is our secret weapon. LOL

1 Like

We shall see, just hoping dline picks it up. I was telling average football fans that the lions dline will be great. So far I look like a idiot.

2 Likes