Bye week = Trade deadline talk

I am still looking at Patrick Peterson in the way that Popeye looks at his spinach as it arcs out of the can and towards his mouth.

Conversely, I am looking at our backup QB like Wile.E. Coyote looks at the audience when he realizes the anvil is half a second away from his skull…

3 Likes

I like the trend toward more wheeling and dealing in the NFL. Used to be more rare, now GMs are far more likely to move guys than in years past.

3 Likes

I am just not seeing anyone that would be a clear upgrade at a reasonable price. Hopefully Quin will find either a player that fits the Lions better then his current team.

I didn’t think even fathom we would get Snacks for a 5th rounder last year either. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Peterson for a 3rd would be a coup. I do think it’s somewhat possible though. At his age it’s uncertain that his next contract from another team would generate a 2022 compensatory 3rd and that 2022 3rd would be the equivalent (by some thinking) of a 2020 5th. I think they’d consider it.

You’ll be paying him 12m in his 30 year old season next year so there’s some risk but I think it’s a good risk vs. reward. He also gives us an option in PR if Amendola is hurt and Agnew screws the pooch again.

I also agree with you about QB but I don’t think there is much we can do. The guys that could help save the season have high salaries. I think you go ahead and wait until an injury and then overpay with draft compensation if it’s worth it.

I’d like for us to look into an improved backup behind KJ though. That’s why I brought up Bernard.

2 Likes

I love AJ Green with healthy (which seems to be never.) I think he would be available and Stafford and him played together one year in college. My issue with that is who do you sit? Are you moving Golladay back to the slot and sitting DA?

I’d certainly be willing to look at Ryan Fitzpatrick as a solid backup QB. He has proven he can win a few unde those circumstances.

1 Like

Patrick Peterson for me.

3 Likes

While I agree, had no guess that would happen, it is a bit different this year. There is no glaring weakness at any position, last season the hole in the middle was obvious. I do not see a lack of talent as a problem this season, it appears to be more mental mistakes that can be cleaned up. Which leaves me think of the future and the Lions getting someone for a good deal that may not contribute much at first but start to show something towards the end of the season. Then showing more next year.

I like how some of you look at it from an “upgrade the weakest link” standpoint, while others are looking at it as “if ______ goes down, we’re screwed.”

We all know, if Matt goes down, we’re screwed.
I think behind Matt, it’s K.Johnson. I find the Adrian Peterson option interesting. I think he could have some success here, and be a nice bandaid, until either we draft the right dude to share the load, or Ty develops.

Patrick Peterson would make our D amazing, especially when our guys are healthy again. That would be so much fun to watch.

Loving the direction of this team, in considering the depth and talent we have at most positions.

I dont think weakest link is how it works.

Like Snacks last year, its mostly about value. Who is available and what is the cost.

The Lions can get better everywhere, even QB, though getting a better QB than Stafford for cheap is unlikely.

If the Lions can get talent for a low pick, do it. If its a 1st or 2nd it better be Mack level talent.

I think we are just getting to the point of being a consistent contender. (maybe) Another year of drafts and free agency might be the way BQ goes.
We’re getting to where we will start getting comp picks like the Patriot do every year.
Then the wheeling dealing will begin.
Are we really good enough this year to make a run worth trading away high draft picks?
I would love to know BQ and Patricia’s view on it.
They have already said they want to win year in year out, not just today.
No big trade coming. Unless it’s a tremendous value because, who will we dump?

1 Like

It’s what I would most prefer too. A Snacks-level deal, as it pertains to the OL. I’ve been talking about it for months. Not sure if something like that is available. Honestly, when it comes to other teams and their players, I learn more from you guys. I know a lot about the Lions, but outside of that, I don’t have as much to add.

New England, by virtue of being in the midst of the greatest run EVER, has their former players overvalued. Their former players go on to sign bigger than expected FA deals which results in giving New England comp picks.

New England also has the luxury (which they’ve earned) of taking a longer view of the draft. They are playing chess while everyone else is playing checkers. They assign value to each pick, plug it into their formula and then move up/down/sideways in the draft if the player available doesn’t match the pick value.

New England, by repeating this process year after year, continues to add more “draft value” to their roster in relation to their place of finish. New England is managing to get 5-6 picks in the top 100 almost every draft.

1 Like

That may be true, but the system they use also allows players to excel and become coveted by other teams. Then they sign elsewhere and regress.
Our system could very well do the same.
Our depth might allow us to let certain players walk without having to buy their replacement in free agency. Maybe we get pick that way instead of having them nullified.
Of course it has yet to play out that way, but I think it will be a goal.
Or I could be dreaming.

Here is a twist - would you take a third rounder for Davis? How about a second? I’d take a second in a minute, but I’d be surprised if someone would give us that as of now. Maybe if he has a good game or two after the bye. Its looking like having Tavai makes Jarrad somewhat expendable.

1 Like

I’d be tempted for sure.
But we don’t really know how the coaches view him, and how they plan on using him (well kinda).
A 3rd from NE or KC probably not, but I don’t study the draft like a lot of you guys do, so I really am not qualified to say.

I think Davis will be a good one for us. He got a lot better as the season wore on last year, and I think he’s just recovering from injury now. I like our LBs for the most part.

Tavai, Davis, Kenard I really like. Jones has been pretty decent, and Reeves-Maybin has really improved as a LB and on special teams. I don’t think we need to upgrade the unit. I prefer to spend the cap money on DL and DBs

I think the DL will improve, which will improve the LBs by default.

I wouldn’t start by looking at particular holes. If we can get a good/great player at ANY position for a good/great price, make the deal.

The key is to not sacrifice the future for a “maybe” win today. Keep making good decision after good decision and over time you have a great team.

1 Like

Just throwing this name out there, cuz I think the one thing the Lions need to make a big move up in the North is a better pass rush, and this guy can give them one. Who knows what shape Daniels or Hand or Bryant will be in when they finally hit the field or when they come back. Below is one guy’s thoughts:

(excerpt)
Despite the buzz around a potential Jalen Ramsey trade, I’ve gone in another direction. The asking price for Ramsey is too high, Detroit has a solid CB group, and I doubt they’d sign him and extend Slay long term.

Enter: Chandler Jones. He checks all the boxes. A pass rusher who can play multiple positions (DE/LB). Young enough (turned 29 in February) to contribute for the duration of his contract (two years after this season at approximately $16 million per year) but not so young he’d command a Ramsey-esque ransom. And most importantly, he’s played for the Patriots so he’s probably halfway here already. As for production, he’s been one of the best at getting after the quarterback since entering the league (double digit sacks his last five seasons including 17 sacks in 2017 to lead the league).

His current team, the Cardinals, are winless with a rookie QB and coach. Acquiring younger assets through the draft should be their route.

What about the asking price? Based on his position, age and production I’m projecting he could be had for a second-round pick. If I’m being too optimistic on that price, you can add a mid rounder (fourth), if you please. He’s very good, but I’m not sure he’d command a first rounder, primarily because he’s approaching 30.

Imagine this team coming out of the bye with Jones and a rust-free Flowers on the edges. Add that to a hopeful resurgence from Snacks Harrison, along with added health to Mike Daniels and Da’Shawn Hand, and the Lions would have more than enough ammo to ruffle the feathers of any offense in the league. I’m buying Chandler at the bye, who are you buying?

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2019/10/5/20898819/detroit-lions-potential-trade-targets-bye-week

3 Likes