Calijah Kancey - Thoughts and Where Would You Take Him?

That’s where I am too. And I think his ceiling is much higher to go along with that lower DT floor.

1 Like

I think AA’s ceiling is way up there. Probably top 10 of defensive players in this draft.

Still get queasy about him at 18 but I’d be eated with AA at 48.

Yeah hopefully the testing is just fine and doesn’t make his stock rise too high. He could be one of those guys PFF has artificially inflated, that happens for them every year (though typically the guys who drop like Barmore and Khalil Herbert and the like tend to greatly outplay their draft slot).

Pretty sure AA tests really, really well for a 3T. If we get hik on the relative cheap it’s bc of the tweener label.

I probably wouldn’t consider him till pick 55. Especially if he comes in at under 280. I’m not as worried about the 32 inch arms and I think that’s getting overblown. If they’re under 32 though, that would be hard to overlook.

1 Like

Agreed. I was thinking late second early 3rd….big gamble. I’d rather take dexter

1 Like

Dexter is a gamble as well. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane risk is prevalent with that one.

1 Like

Yep, agreed. But in a pass heavy league, a dude than can get pressure in a QB’s face quickly is a real asset. He could be worth the gamble if he started sliding in the draft due to his size. Holmes has shown he will take undersized guys like Houston, Rodrigo and St. Brown if the value is there!

2 Likes

I expect it to be as well, just hoping really. Maybe he beefs up to 300 or so and kinda mehs it out?

1 Like

Whole heartedly agree. The traits are there and the ability. If I’m taking a risk on a guy i would prefer it be a guy who might excel with the right coaching and mentorship over a guy who undersized and perhaps lacking in the traits….

And on the plus side he’s apparently a good kid and takes coaching really well. You can see him playing assignment football all over his tape.

Really he just has to do something to fix that first step. I’m not sure it’s fixable, maybe he’s just not explosive at all. But that doesn’t really jive with the other stuff he does on the field. Maybe he just needs a get-off coach (cue the jokes).

1 Like

I mean, thinking outside the box….I would take some one like dexter as stated or a keion white and use his versatility over kancey… I honestly wouldn’t be shocked w a few of this high end de’s move inside in the NFL. That why I originally I liked tyre Wilson so much….thought he could play inside.

1 Like

You mean there’s someone out there that can improve my get off? Of course I don’t play football……which is what I was talking about. zip

2 Likes

Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

I dont understand where all the hype is coming from maybe the size and the school gets the crazy Donald talk. I think he is a try hard guy with some pass rush skills. I still would not take him before the 3rd round. When I saw all the crazy projections I thought maybe there is something I’m missing. Then I saw he did not even crack DJs top 50 prospects and that just kind of confirmed what I saw. I think there is a chance he turns into an Elvis Dumervill but I don’t see him as a fit for our defense.

The hype is coming from the production, yes he’s undersized, and I wouldn’t draft him until at least late 2nd or early 3rd. But 14.5 sacks the past 2 seasons as an interior rusher and 27.5 tackles for loss. He’s been extremely productive on the field. His lack of size is a real concern for sure though.

Can anyone name another DT that has been more productive the past 2 seasons!?

3 Likes

4th rd wr and 2x 6th rd lbs.

1 Like

Right. No significant size/speed outliers on day 1 or 2 yet.

And St. isn’t THAT small.

1 Like

Me too! that dude has killer instincts.

Season 1 Showtime GIF by Dexter

3 Likes

His physical limitations would say he is not draftable but his production on the field is what moves him up to a 3rd rounder. To go from the 3rd to a top 15 pick is what I would say is hype. I hope I am wrong and he goes somewhere between the 7th and the 17th pick.

1 Like