Campbell: Goff needs to 'step up' for 0-6 Lions

Meh. That’s just the headline. If you actually watched the press conference, most of the blame was put on the WRs. But it doesn’t make a good headline to write, “Campbell: 5th string receiver Hodge needs to stop MAing.”

3 Likes

I’ve been pretty supportive but he was terrible today. I don’t think we should bench him but I think this is DC’s equivalent move and I’m okay with it. Goff really stunk today.

5 Likes

They won 10 games with the no.1 D in the league. It wasn’t the plan, it was Goff not going through progressions. It is why McVey wanted to drop Goff and get Stafford, and give up 2 1sts and a 3rd along with him. McVey couldn’t run the offense the way he wanted.

3 Likes

I would bench him if he continues to struggle. At least for a half. Sometimes that can light a fire under someone. But not next week. That would demoralize the hell out of him

1 Like

I want to believe Holmes was aware of Goff’s limitations, too. And picked him up to get the extra first-rounder, knowing we were in for a painful, long rebuild anyway and knowing he was a bridge to the future that would be easy to get away from when the time came to do so.

Because the alternative is too terrifying to consider: That Holmes thought Goff was great and “the future here.” Based on what Goff’s shown, we just failed at yet another GM if that was Holmes’ thinking.

3 Likes

I think the Ravens were number one. But Rams were close behind

Same concern.

If Holmes is any good at his job, he got a (barely) serviceable QB as a band-aid that might keep the team somewhat competitive.

I still believe that’s the case — just that he overestimated Goff (and/or the remaining roster).

If he’s an idiot (your worst case scenario), this team might be the first franchise to truly lose its fan base.

1 Like

I really doubt he keeps playing like that. I mean it’s not like he had been a world beater but he’d generally speaking looked competent. Today was just one of those days I think.

2 Likes

You didn’t see a game like this coming from Goff? Because I did. But maybe I’m alone in that.

1 Like

Not really. Goff was leading the league in YAC so he was hitting the right receivers. It was probably the turnovers that doomed him, specifically the fumbles.

1 Like

Huh. We’ll put up with anything. There is plenty of evidence to support that.

3 Likes

Anyone who saw how Sewell is playing, then seeing Ragnow going on IR, then the already third string but currently best receiver going on IR should have very much expected a game like this.

Goff has always been a very good QB when given protection and having receivers. Without, he’s not good

6 Likes

The 50 yd tds they talked about during the game here is another on tds of 15 yds or more.

Stafford already matched Goff’s 15-yard TD total from 2020

Matthew Stafford threw two 50-plus-yard touchdown passes in the season opener against the Bears, which matched Jared Goff’s total from the season prior. He added another 16-yard touchdown pass on Sunday against the Colts, bringing his season total of touchdown passes that traveled at least 15 yards to three.

Incredibly, that tied the same number of such touchdown throws that Goff had in 2020. It just goes to show how much more aggressive the Rams are being under Stafford.

1 Like

I’m right there with you

1 Like

How about Goff admitting he had “a mental lapse” when he threw the ball away on 4th down. So we can now add that to physical lapses.

4 Likes

You keep saying this. Teams don’t trade away very good QB’s unless they’re the Lions entering a full rebuild 12 years into their vet QB’s career.

1 Like

You should visit the rams boards. They go into a lot of that, and let’s just say McVey was having to stay in Goffs ear to help, and Goff wasn’t getting done what McVey wanted. I’m not going to go into detail because I’m not gonna spend all night linking. Rams talk and rams on demand are 2 of them.

I love our coach.
“That team is not that much better than us.”

interesting but are they talking about air yards? It’s a little vague. I’m not arguing, just interested in looking at the actual stats. I find it difficult to believe Goff (Or any full time starting QB) had only three TDs over 15 yards in 2019 and 2020 combined

Yes air yds, sorry

1 Like