Campbell: Goff needs to 'step up' for 0-6 Lions

That’s a call out.

Feel like McVay did the same thing to him.

Can’t feel awesome.

I’d only add: eat shit, Campbell. Your team is 0-6 — that isn’t just on Jared.

2 Likes

One of the goals in this rebuild was to see if Goff could be a potential solution. The answer is no. And I didn’t think it would work. But I’m surprised it’s this bad this soon. Clearly QB is at the top of the list for the rebuild.

7 Likes

It’s not just on Goff. It’s not just on the HC either. It’s on our GM who appears to be silent in regards to improving this team in light of glaring holes and injuries. When you get beat down by a .500 team at home—plenty of people who need to look in the mirror.

5 Likes

If you watched the presser it wasn’t quite as in your face as OP post has it. He also was stressing the WR’s need to be where they are suppose to be. Sounds to me players are running the wrong routes or rounding them short

5 Likes

To be fair to Campbell, he said the team’s performance was on him. He blamed himself for not having them ready.

2 Likes

I do not think Goff is the main culprit as to why the Lions are 0-6. He has played a part though. Nowhere near as big as many believe.

He looks more and more lost as the season is going on. Trying too hard, forcing plays to his first read. I don’t know if that’s by design as part of shrinking the offensive playbook or not. But he’s not even attempting looking elsewhere most plays.

They need to get him squared away or just trade him before the deadline for whatever they can get. The downward trajectory can’t be allowed to go on much longer.

3 Likes

We’re at the “That’s on me” part of the season.

5 Likes

I am 75% sure this one read quick throw offense is by design.

He’s right. Today was awful. And while not a great starter Goff is much, much better than that.

I’d add Hock to that. We really needed him to dominate this year and I think he’s regressed though injuries may be playing a role in that.

1 Like

Goff bears some responsibility here for sure. He didn’t look comfortable all day and missed some throws. But let’s all ease on the hysterics. This team is a quilt work of rookies and practice squad warriors. Half of our expected starters are out.

Decker
Ragnow
Okudah
Melifonwu
T. Williams
R. Okwara
Cephus
Hand
Flowers

What team is going to win with literally half the team hurt

9 Likes

Did not even consider benching Goff.

1 Like

I think today in the fourth maybe…

I was wondering if they’d do it just to give Goff a break?!

Goff did it with the rams. Some fans called it the horizontal offense, 3rd and 10 Goff throws 3 yds. Stafford by game 3 this yr completed more deep passes than Goff did in the previous 2 yrs.

2 Likes

Hard for Hock to dominate when he is double teamed all the time because our WRs are not NFL caliber. Swift and Hock are the only players on the offensive side of the ball that teams have to game plan for. Maybe throw Williams in there. Making a QB a priority in the draft makes zero sense when you have a collection of crap at WRs.

5 Likes

He wants Goff to really cut loose and start throwing SIX yards downfield not 4

8 Likes

They also won 10 games that way and made it to the playoffs. They may have looked at that offense and thought, “We should replicate this in Detroit.” The way these route trees are structured they aren’t designed to get people open deep. On every 3rd and long there are at least 2 routes that are short of the sticks. They didn’t practice a deep passing game in the preseason.

If it were all Goff refusing to make the throw, there would be plays in the rotation that do not have a checkdown.

1 Like

You’ll certainly get no argument from me that Jared Goff hasn’t been good enough, and needs to do more.

Somewhat in his defense, however, I’d just like to say the following:

Kalif Raymond
KhaDarel Hodge
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Trinity Benson (who doesn’t even play)

4 Likes

Goff needs the GM to step up for him!
Or, they can shut the fuck up.
If I knew in April that our WR corps sucked, surely, this can’t come as a surprise to any football professional.
To call out Goff? I’d tell him to fuck off and trade me or release me.
I talked to Jon, and he said that’s exactly what he would do. You’d think Dan Campbell would know that?

5 Likes

We agree

It’s on you

1 Like

Where do you find completions? You can reference passing attempt splits here. So far this year Stafford has 43 pass attempts over 20 plus yards (Goff has 25 this year)

In 2019 and 2020 combined Goff had 168 pass attempts over 20 yards. So it’s not like he wasn’t throwing downfield

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/advanced-stats-qb.php?year=2019

2 Likes