Can Ben Johnson fix Daniel Jones?

I know us Lions fans don’t want to consider this, and I’m guessing this will be a recurring theme/thread here, but I don’t know how anyone would turn down a Giants gig. And I don’t see Daboll surviving this season.

Ben Johnson could be the next QB whisperer in the league—and could do for Jones what he’s done for Goff.

2 Likes

Daboll is on year 2, made the playoffs in his first year… you may be right but i think it is early to bury him. Eberflus on the other hand, someone needs to get fired when you dont have a win for a full year

6 Likes

Needs an O-Line first.

2 Likes

The can move on from Jones after next season, so if Johnson did get that job he wouldn’t be tied to him, he can take a year to try and fix him and if it’s not happening then they can go in another direction at QB. In that sense it would be quite a nice landing spot for Johnson.

I just assume Ben will do the right thing and go to an AFC team. Maybe I’m asking too much.

1 Like

Agreed.

The Giants are missing their 2 best offensive players right now.

The $117.5 million OLT Andrew Thomas… and Saquon.

That offense has zero chance without those guys.

2 Likes

Any thought of what BJ has done has to first include what we’ve had for an OL. JG and BJ’s success hinge on OL, RB and TE more than even WR, though a St Brown player is essential to the offense’s success, too.

The more you unpack it, it’s not really a QB-whisperer power that Ben possesses, rather it’s an organized, attention-to-detailed approach, along with the collaborative spirit that seeks input from the room that makes this offense tick.

That’s a very long way of saying, he wouldn’t be fixing Daniel Jones, he’d be relying on the brass to make better personnel decisions. I probably look at Sam Darnold in the same sort of light. You’d like to see what he could become with some Lions level stability around him. Get the OL right and take the pressure off of the QB.

Huh? He was coach of the year in his one full year. How in the world did you come to that conclusion, Nate?

4 Likes

Honestly it doesn’t matter. He can sail into the sunset with his guaranteed money.

Daboll, barring something absolutely crazy, is getting a year 3 with the Giants.

He’s already more accomplished than DC is, and DC is for sure coming back next year.

1 Like

Daboll would literally have to go full Sandusky to get fired. And as we all know …

IMO… I think it is FAR more likely that Daboll is with the Giants in 2025… rather than Daniel Jones.

3 Likes

Schein is the one that has been suspect. What has he done besides hiring DaBoll? Banks looks promising I guess. But the bang for the buck out of two top 7 picks looks underwhelming to awful. The Jones extension was idiotic. The museum of slot receivers that he’s opening in Weehawken in January could be a fun visit I guess.

But here’s a guy that was largely credited with being one of the great young, ascending GMs bc of the team’s extreme luck plus Daboll’s masterful turd polishing exploits in 2023. In reality he’s been pretty damn awful so far IMO.

I think he could be. I love Ben as an offensive mind and he’s great at developing players.

That said, I’m not even remotely sold on the idea that he’s the culture builder/leader/energy teacher that Dan is. He could flop as a HC, even if he’s great at X’s n’ O’s

2 Likes

… and STAY!

Something has to give with the Giants. They have payed some exceptionally bad football this year. Not sure Dabol gets canned but I’m guessing there is a possibility. The home games against Dallas and Seattle were a major embarrassment.

Agreed…. I think most people were legitimately shocked when they started 6-1 last season. They had 8 wins by 1 score… and only 1 by more than 1 score.

Darius Slayton and Richie James were the top 2 WRs in yardage.

That’s not a team anyone thought had a chance to win the NFC East at any moment last year… or again this year.

And… that was BEFORE they paid a below average (probably just bad) QB an AAV of $40 million…. while possibly alienating Saquon.

1 Like

Goff was a 2 time pro bowler and SB participant before Ben. Jones? Well, he did steal a $40m/yr contract from the Giants so there’s that.

Point being? It’s quite possible that Goff’s resurgence has just as much to do with Goff as it does Ben Johnson so not sure how much of a QB whisperer he is but we’ll likely find out next season when he gets a head coaching gig.

One thing in fairness to Jones though, that offensive line is a travesty so it’s certainly not all on him even though his decision making is suspect even when he gets time.

2 Likes

Daniel Jones as a backup QB down the road after he flames out in New York would be great.

The year is 2028, after multiple super bowls we’ve dealt Goff for multiple 1st round picks.

Hooker has been dealt for a 1st as well after being a stellar backup.

JJ Mccarthy is ready to lead us going forward. Daniel Jones is happy as the backup

I think he will be back. They made the playoffs last year.

This is a narrative that is going around and people are crediting him for Goff but I think that’s premature.

Keep in mind Ben has only been an OC for one season. He didn’t implement the offense and Goff showed improvement before Ben took over duties. Not to mention he wasn’t the QB coach either.

I think Goff and Ben are equally responsible for how that offense is performing and if you break them up then neither is as strong as the sum of the parts.

1 Like