Can Lions Keep Both Taylor Decker, Alim McNeill?

SI must give them a quota on articles per day. I give them credit for coming up with content every day during this dead period.

1 Like

Yes the can keep both an no problem.

6 Likes

They didn’t mention the likelihood of Hutch getting a juicy extension next offseason too.

That’s salary cap Barbie:

stretch armstrong 90s GIF

1 Like

Especially when the cap goes up another 40mil next year.

I think they have a contingency plan for that, but Decker is no spring chicken.

Cub he is only 30 years old look around many are over 30 an not as good he is like top 15 at OT an his play as not dropped plus he ha great attitude an 100% Lions.

Look at how much he makes right now this season an lets say we extend him 3 years at 3 million increase per season. You are all ready counting him in 2023 just add 3 million for next season that’s just a 3 million increase on cap. We should extend him at least 3 more years. a 12 Million increase for 3 years added to his cap it this year 19.1 so 3 time lets say 20 thats 60 plus 12 …72 over 3 years break it down anyway you want its at most 23 person a increase of 4 million over this year. They can get outs likely after couple years club options many way to work it but we keep are starting OTs set for this season an 3 more. That alone is worth extending him, they may extend 5 who knows. If he wants to play for Lions in future he will stay a Lion. Look at what it will take to replace him. We let OK walk an that was right an we got lucky a vet all pro OG wants to try an win a ring an signed with us. Decker is like that all pro OG steady an very good . We should extend him minimum 3 seasons.

6 Likes

jim carrey GIF
“OK there Mr Poopy Pants .”

2 Likes

ace ventura GIF

2 Likes

I’d be more surprised if they weren’t both on the 2024 roster.

4 Likes

Good try… wish i spoke your language…

Decker over Alim 100% for me. Gotta keep this OL going. Decker isn’t showing signs of slowing down. He’s a damn good LT, and if Sewell was better, he’d be starting there. It shows how underrated Decker is. And I’d imagine Decker would probably get a very fair deal.

1 Like

Really, man?

3 Likes

Ninja vs Sewell in a cage match coming soon. Live footage of Ninja trying to escape…

No Escape Britwres GIF by United Kingdom Pro Wrestling

I see. Fascinating. How long have you felt this way?

Lay Down Round Table GIF by Disciple

1 Like

I don’t think it is a stretch to bring both back next year, especially with Decker indicating he would be willing to give a home team discount.
Holmes is probably going to see how it plays out with his remaining 2025 free agents (Iffy, Barnes, Davis, Levi, Commish) before any further extensions.]

McNeill is a “No-Brainer” re-sign. The question is “How Much?”
It appears McNeill and his agent are content to play the season out to get a huge market leading contract.

The plan appears to be to bring Decker back on at least a short term contract.
That is my assumption based on the current roster construction. At the moment there is no serious OT ready to replace Decker or even move to RT and have Sewell move to LT. Unless Manu progresses exceptionally fast, he will not be able to start at OT to start the 2025 season. At the same time, you don’t trade up for an OT to have him be a backup. I don’t think Decker is offered more than a 3 year deal. Likely something that Holmes can get out of after a year or two. Also, I don’t think Holmes would ask Decker to take a discount. Just not his style. He will pay him market value but only on a short term deal.
This is assuming that Decker continues to perform at a high level this season.

Iffy will have to play at high level for the entire season to be brought back.
The team seems to be preparing for Branch to take over at Safety and have Rake or Robertson play Slot. Should Iffy play as he did to close out 2023, the question would come down to “How Much?” Holmes is already prepared to move on so it will have to be a reasonable price for him to retain Iffy? This is assuming that Kerby plays well at Safety and Branch adapts to the position this season while Rake or Amik show they are capable slot CB’s. As you can see there are a lot of variables so that is why this has to play out.

Barnes is the plan to replace Anzalone but his contract expires first.
He has to show that he is ready and the team would get another year with both on the roster in 2025. If Barnes doesn’t appear to be the guy through the season Holmes could let him walk and draft Anzalone’s replacement in 2025 and have a full season for him to transition in Alex’s last season.

I don’t see Holmes keeping Davis. Davis will likely cost in excess of $20M/yr if he plays well. If he doesn’t play well Holmes won’t want him anyway. The only way I see Holmes bringing Davis back is if he plays well while the rookies are not ready to take over the outside CB positions.
Holmes would rather pay an in-house free agent that he knows than bring in another free agent.

I don’t see Levi returning as well unless it is as a rotational DT to replace Commish. Levi has to make the team first and then play well enough to earn another contract.

I don’t see much chance for Commish to be brought back. He will hav a hard time making the roster this season. Commish is playing a similar role as Paschal, Levi, and Wingo. He was not very effective last season in the reps he took as the primary backup to Hutch at Rush End. Agude will press for that role as well.
Commish is likely playing for the best tape possible to get free agent offers in 2025.

4 Likes

Keeping Decker is a no brainer, I think he’s severely undervalued by a lot of people. Pay the man, he’s Detroit through and through.

6 Likes

C’mon Natty, I’m not saying Sewell isn’t the man of all men. But Decker is the LT, and if Sewell was a better LT he’d probably start there, and move Decker to RT. That’s just truth. I’m just saying Taylor Decker is the man too.

1 Like

Hendon Hooker? :laughing:

As the cap goes up, so does players salaries.

This is all conjecture. Branch has been recovering. We need a back up slot player. Branch will most likely always remain in the slot when 5 dbs are on the field. This is our base formation. When there are only 4 dbs on the field then he will move to safety to stay on the field. San Fran tried to keep him off the field with formations. The Lions want to keep BB on the field. NOT change his primary role. Just add a secondary role.