Carl Nassib comes out as 1st openly gay active NFL player

IVAN PEREIRA

Mon, June 21, 2021, 9:01 PM

NFL player Carl Nassib made history Monday by announcing that he’s gay. He’s the first active player to come out publicly in league history.

The Las Vegas Raiders defensive end posted a video from his home in Pennsylvania revealing his sexual orientation and said he’s been meaning to announce for a long time.

“I’m a pretty private person, so I hope you guys know that I’m really not doing this for attention. I just think that representation and visibility are so important,” he said in the video.

The post also contained more words in the form of screenshots of notes where Nassib, 28, talked about his journey. He said he was sitting in a “moment of gratitude and relief.”

“Sadly, I have agonized over this moment for the last 15 years. Only until recently, thanks to my family and friends… did it seem possible for me to say publicly and proudly that I’m gay,” he wrote.

PHOTO: Defensive end Carl Nassib, right, and offensive guard Patrick Omameh of the Las Vegas Raiders celebrate as they walks off the field following the NFL game against the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium on Nov. 01, 2020, in Cleveland. (Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)

PHOTO: Defensive end Carl Nassib, right, and offensive guard Patrick Omameh of the Las Vegas Raiders celebrate as they walks off the field following the NFL game against the Cleveland Browns at FirstEnergy Stadium on Nov. 01, 2020, in Cleveland. (Jamie Sabau/Getty Images)

Nassib thanked his family, coaches and teammates for the support through the years and said he “was greeted with the utmost respect and acceptance.”

He also used his post to promote awareness for suicide prevention in the LGTBQ community. Nassib said he was donating $100,000 to The Trevor Project, which is an organization for suicide prevention for LGBTQ+ youth.

Nassib said that younger LGTBQ children are five times more likely than straight children to consider suicide.

“For someone like me, who has been so lucky and cherishes every day, it brings me incredible sadness to think that our LGTBQ youth are at such an elevated risk for suicide,” he wrote.

Nassib added that studies have shown that “all it takes is on accepting adult to decrease the risk of an LGBTQ kid attempting suicide by 40%.”

PHOTO: Carl Nassib of the Las Vegas Raiders flexes during warmups before a game against the Denver Broncos at Allegiant Stadium on Nov. 15, 2020, in Las Vegas. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images, FILE)

PHOTO: Carl Nassib of the Las Vegas Raiders flexes during warmups before a game against the Denver Broncos at Allegiant Stadium on Nov. 15, 2020, in Las Vegas. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images, FILE)

“Whether you’re a friend, a parent, a coach or a teammate, you can be that person,” he said.

He encouraged others to donate to The Trevor Project and included a link in his Instagram bio.

Amit Paley, the Trevor Project’s CEO and executive director, said in a statement that the organization was grateful for Nassib’s support and message.

“LGBTQ representation matters because it gives LGBTQ youth the chance to envision a bright future and dream of possibilities," Paley said in the statement. "We hope this historic moment for the NFL will foster LGBTQ inclusion in professional sports and inspire young LGBTQ athletes across the country to pursue their talents.”

MORE: LGBT Pride Month 2021: What to know about its history, events, parades

“The NFL family is proud of Carl for courageously sharing his truth today. Representation matters,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement Monday night. “We share his hope that someday soon statements like his will no longer be newsworthy as we march toward full equality for the LGBTQ+ community. We wish Carl the best of luck this coming season.”

The Raiders responded to the post with heart emojis and later put out a tweet with screenshots of Nassib’s post.

PHOTO: Carl Nassib of the Las Vegas Raiders celebrates an interception with teammates against the Denver Broncos during the second half at Allegiant Stadium on Nov. 15, 2020, in Las Vegas. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images, FILE)

PHOTO: Carl Nassib of the Las Vegas Raiders celebrates an interception with teammates against the Denver Broncos during the second half at Allegiant Stadium on Nov. 15, 2020, in Las Vegas. (Ethan Miller/Getty Images, FILE)

“Proud of you, Carl,” the team tweeted with a heart emoji.

The NFL also shared Nassib’s video on its Twitter page with the message, “The NFL family is proud of you, Carl,” with a heart emoji.

“Carl Nassib’s powerful coming out is a historic reflection of the growing state of LGBTQ visibility and inclusion in the world of professional sports, which has been driven by a long list of brave LGBTQ athletes who came before him,” GLAAD President & CEO Sarah Kate Ellis said in a statement Monday.

University of Missouri defensive end Michael Sam came out as gay in 2014 before the St. Louis Rams drafted him, however, the team cut him during the preseason. He went on to play football in Canada for a year before retiring in 2015.

ABC News’ Tony Morrison contributed to this report.

Good for him. I hope its never held against him.

3 Likes

I thought that award went to Michael Sam?

2 Likes

Prior to this many former players have said they had gay teammates all thru their career. Most of the players don’t give a chit one way or the other…just show up and ball out (not to be confused with showing up with your balls out, which is a completely different request).

Judging by his age, production level and contract structure it appeared that Nassib was going to be a cap casualty next season unless he blew the doors off the 2021 season. Now of course when it happens in spring of 2022 its going to be headline news as if its a non-football related decision.

5 Likes

Exactly how I feel. Who cares. Play football and win.

6 Likes

I don’t think Sam ever made a NFL roster.

2 Likes

Or Wes if you are correct, he’s using the platform he has now for what he see’s as a good thing. Donating 100K to a suicide prevention cause is a great thing.

2 Likes

Sam never actually played in the NFL if you really think about it. He never made a 53 man roster. He was cut by the Rams before the season, and the Rams didn’t add him to their practice squad. He signed with the practice squad of the Cowboys, but only lasted a few weeks before being cut. After that initial season, he announced he was retiring from football.

Pre-draft scouting report:

Carl Nassib NFL Draft 2016: Scouting Report, Grade for Browns Rookie | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

A rather modest career so far:

Yeah I guess. If we are getting technical now. For whatever reason.I brought up Michael Sam because I figured we were past that. Like I said, who cares. Let’s play football.

Nassib signed a three-year, $25 million deal in free agency in 2020. He totaled 2.5 sacks and an interception in 14 games.

One of Mayock and/or Gruden’s overpays relative to actual performance.

Sadly there are lots of people that aren’t past that. Brave move on Nassib’s part even though it shouldn’t be that way. Props to him and congratulations for having that weight off of his shoulders and truly getting to be himself around his teammates.

2 Likes

Funny how well we get to know Kelly and how emotional it was to share in Marvin’s incredible loss

And for all these gay players
It would end up being discussed
By fans and media
If their husband kissed them at draft day
Or if they revealed their husband was fighting a disease.

I agree , in this age the players likely don’t care but nfl teams dislike distractions and being a trailblazer in this arena could be seen as being a distraction.

I think
You’re already suggesting what might happen if he’s a cap casualty as if he came out to make that move hard on the team …

Seems to me
For all these gay plsyers
We don’t know them
/ for whatever reasons /
It’s not unusual to read stories about wives and girlfriends tho.

2 Likes

Brave move
Good for him
I’ll root for his success as a pro
And hope he’s able to make a positive impact
In the community.

2 Likes

Omg another gay person. It’s 2021 no one should care if some one is gay. Live your life the way you want to.

12 Likes

That is some next-level shit. Kudos to his agent if that was part of the strategy.

I just pointed out the reality of the situation that the way his contract is structured coupled with his current production he was in line to be cut after this season. I’m speculating on what the reaction will be in 2022, I’m not speculating on Carl’s motives.

My comment wasn’t about Carl and his agent. My comment was about the team, the fans and the media. Go look at his contract. Unless he puts up a monster season this year he had no shot at being retained for 2022.

It appears to have been structured, for all practical purposes, as a two-year deal with almost all of the guaranteed money in 2020-2021.

The Raiders save $4.6M in salary cap space after 2021 if they decide to move on.

Raiders 2020 Rewind: Carl Nassib’s Uninspired Campaign

The article blames DC Paul Guenther’s defensive scheme. Guenther was let go in favor of Gus Bradley, so his production (along with everyone else’s) may improve in 2021.

1 Like

These are the reasons I think it’s a big deal he came out and shows why it is risky for him given we can’t be sure of the full
Scope of reactions.

Understood, but my comment is regarding the very real impact these externalities might have on the team’s decision to keep him around next year (something I wouldn’t have considered had you not pointed it out).

If Carl and/or his agent used this as part of the calculus in the timing of this announcement… well, that’s just pretty damned smart, and not something I would have thought of.