Carl Nassib comes out as 1st openly gay active NFL player

I thought Joey Harrington was the first openly gay player in the NFL

4 Likes

Except people still do care and it still carries a stigma. Look no farther than the above inappropriate Joey Harrington comment. A visibly gay NFL player is a great role model for youths struggling with their own sexual identity.

I agree ā€¦ā€¦ honestly who cares ā€¦ in todayā€™s world itā€™s not the news or the shock the media will try to make it be.

My guess is that most people just donā€™t care what sexual orientation you are. Live your life however you chose and itā€™s no one elseā€™s business.

1 Like

He isnā€™t coming out for you. He is coming out for himself and others who are struggling with their identity. This is a big deal, it just isnā€™t a big deal to you.

1 Like

Being how this is not Lions related and boarders on social politics Iā€™m moving it to OTT.

1 Like

Most guys donā€™t come out as hetero???

1 Like

Its funny that people spent so many years just trying to be treated as normal and it not being a big deal to be gay. Now that we have so many people that are in that place, we have people who insist on making it a big deal and picking fights. And if they canā€™t fight someone over being a bigot and homophobic, they will just fight anyone that doesnā€™t really care. Either way, they are so used to bringing the fight that they canā€™t help themselves.

Case and point.

1 Like

Because you are missing the big picture. Itā€™s fine that you donā€™t care, but donā€™t act like others shouldnā€™t care because they do.

Why do you or anyone else care what someones sexual orientation is?

Why is it a big deal to you?

I bet if you surveyed 100 people and asked them the questionā€¦ ā€œDo you care to know the sexual orientation of others?ā€ ā€¦ Iā€™d bet that in todayā€™s world 95% or higher could care less. Most people just donā€™t care, most people feel itā€™s none of their business and that it makes no differenceā€¦ it is no longer news as a resultā€¦ā€¦ Most people today are trying hard to tear down the social barriers that divide us. The way you do that is by recognizing that it is no longer a big deal.

With that said weā€™re closing in on social politics here and weā€™re getting dangerously close to having to lock this thread.

2 Likes

I say go ahead and lock it, because I donā€™t want to have to open my big mouth.

This very thread has a post making being gay a punchline. Suicide is still a big deal in the LGBTQ community. Just because you are presumably straight and not affected by all the negativity associated with being gay doesnā€™t mean it doesnā€™t exist.

Do I care that he is gay? No. But I do realize that the issue still exists so I donā€™t belittle it with comments like who cares. Millions of people care is the answer.

1 Like

In an ideal world, his sexuality would be a non-issue to anyone, other than his significant other.

I get that the announcement may benefit a charity or whatever, but I look forward to the day when we donā€™t need announcements.

1 Like

Thatā€™s why they had to qualify the headline with ā€œactiveā€ NFL player. Just to be able to have a story making someone the FIRSTā€¦ Sensationalism wins again.

Then you agree with alot of people here. Congrats, we knew you would come around.

Exactly.
Frank Ragnow just came out with n his social media. You can see he gets to announce heā€™s married and itā€™s not a story or a distraction.

In my opinion Sam was never in the NFL. He never made a roster. Ever. Itā€™s kind of like the guys who make it to 2nd or 3rd cut for college football. They were never really on the team, they were just trying to be on the team.

My post was locked about vaccine lol

1 Like

But Iā€™m not going to act like this isnā€™t important or that nobody cares, as is implied by a lot of people here.

I sure hope this isnā€™t how people treat him nowā€¦ haters gonna hate!

I gotta figure out how to get a fancy preview.

Iā€™ll end the suspense, chicken sandwich CARL! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

What issue is that?

But I did no such thing ā€¦. No where did I belittle. If you read that then your looking for something that wasnā€™t there and are just looking to argue about a non issue. Personally I think your trying way too hard to make an issue out of nothing.

You claim the issue still exists. It only exists in your own mind because you choose to make an issue about it.

There are those of us who see no issue with it. Thatā€™s not belittlingā€¦. Thatā€™s called acceptance and a choice to let others live their own lives free of judgement.

I think that day has already arrived ā€¦. 95% of todayā€™s society doesnā€™t concern themselves with peopleā€™s sexual orientation. We donā€™t judge and we accept people for who they are and not for what their sexual preferences are.

2 Likes