Carlos Monarrez speaks on Lions draft

I didn’t read it an doubt i will he is just a fake big mouth trying to sound like he knows something, he looks like bigger fool when he opens his mouth.

Carlos is a poor man’s-wannabe Drew Sharp (RIP).

The difference is that though Sharp was frustrating, he was quick-witted, knowledgeable, and IMO, was the best pure writer among sports journalists in the state—perhaps the country.

Carlos is and never will be any of those things.

6 Likes

What makes it more funny, Carlos emphasized how the lions weren’t protecting Stafford; he was taking too many hits.

3 Likes

I liked the team that SF had going into the SB, last time they were in it (Except for the QB). We have a better QB than they did. I see us trying to assemble something similar to the NYG SB teams with Eli. I DO think Goff is comparable talent to Eli, maybe even better.

Trenches were a strength of that team, and we appear to be building
Similar OL (possibly better)
Hoping for similar DL - we have the start of it going
Great TE
Very Nice WRs (currently missing)
Nasty ass RBs (currently missing, until further notice)
Solid players at every level of that D

I could see us with something similar to that over time.
Time will tell.
That’s my model, and we have some of the pieces already. Swift is very different than their RBs, but I do love having Swift. We need a lot of major upgrades to have a roster like that, and doing this comparison really pointed out to me how far away we likely are.

2 Likes

Sewell is an elite athlete.

1 Like

I feel sorry for Birkett and any of the other legit sports guys that have to work with Carlos, I’m not sure I’d be able to not unload on him and expose him for the fraud he is.

1 Like

Your being way, way to kind…

3 Likes

Unless they are also in on the game and know it’s the role he has to fill, so they work within that frame.

It makes me think, was listening to Valenti today and him and Rico had nothing bad to say about the Lions draft. They were positive, supportive, and said hey no problems here.

They talked about how bad the Tigers are for a long time (I was in the car today for a long time). But it seemed they shifted the focus to talking about accountability and criticizing Ilitch and the Tigers, the Monday after the Lions had a good draft.

My point is, has sports media become something where you have to talk about all the negatives and bad aspects because that’s what people want to hear instead of breaking down the positives and why they are good?

I know they need to cover all the Detroit sports but I just kinda found it funny, the tigers have been floundering for awhile and they were a passing thought, but now the Lions are actually doing good things they say “hey great job, here’s a 30min-1hr segment” then move onto criticizing the bad teams? I dunno, I just don’t like the thought the negative energy seems to be what “sells.” I know all the Detroit teams are bad… but still. Just my $.02

How can you make the claim that “now the Lions are doing good things”??? Last I knew they Lions were 5-11. Has that changed?

They might do good things but I think it is a little early to claim they are “doing good things” :man_shrugging:

Literally everything has changed :wink:

Coaches, GM, staff, owner, massive player turnover, with more to come. We can say they are doing good/bad/somewher in the middle…but make no mistake about it - everything has changed.

3 Likes

I was referring to the perception they are doing good things. The stafford trade, the draft, they have all been perceived as being “good” things. My point was once “good” things start to happen, the focal point goes to another source of negativity

1 Like

It’s this, completely. Carlos is trying to pick up the contrarian title that Sharp left behind. As stated, Sharp was very knowledgeable, quick witted, intelligent and he really could counter any argument. Carlos can’t. He is out of his element. He wants to disagree, but on a subject like this he doesn’t know how.

Also, we have to keep in mind that Carlos is still butt hurt that the Lions fired his buddy. I think Carlos figured he finally had an in road with Patricia by kissing Patricia’s ass, and then after Patricia got fired, poof. Back to the outhouse.

4 Likes

Changed…yes.

Things changed when Millen took over.
Things changed when Mayhew took over
Things changed when Quinn took over.

But I can’t say this regime is doing good things until THE RESULTS change

2 Likes

I see a culture change that has literally never been in this town ever. Schwartz was closest to it, but Schwartz was not as authentically “it” as these guys.
We are most likely not gonna be good next year (just my opinion). That doesn’t mean things aren’t improving for the better.

Time is the only thing that’s gonna answer this question though, for sure.

Myself personally…I believe, bro! I think our FO and HC are tearing this shit up in a really healthy way.

3 Likes

Yeah and it’s really weird… because the Detroit media is not used to the Lions being perceived as the smartest team in town… quite the opposite.

And actually you could probably speak to this very well @BigNatty, but it’s not even a Carlos thing. It’s just a thing with the Detroit media to be overly critical of the bad things, and then never accentuating the positives. But then once the positives happen, it’s kind of like “oh well it’s about time, good job” and moving onto other areas of negativity.

I know it’s not that black and white, but I remember the constant criticism of the red wings in the 90s despite having one of the greatest teams in hockey history. There was immense criticism of them. Then they won a few Stanley cups and all of a sudden, “hey ok, they are doing what they are supposed to do, let’s go trash the Lions/Pistons/Tigers now.”

It’s a nuanced topic and I hope I’m getting my point across. And apologies if I’m not… but man, wouldn’t it be so cool to turn on Detroit sports radio and have them do a breakdown of the draft and players they got and why they could help or not help the team? They’ve ignored the tigers for years and trashed the Lions but the minute the Lions do good stuff they become a bit of an afterthought. It is the off-season anyway. And NOBODY talks hockey, unless they are talking about betting on hockey games which is a whole other thing.

Anyway, call me an old man yelling from my front porch… but I think the Lions are the Detroit team with the most upside and quickest potential for success. They just need the Carlos guys to keep the SOL theme going for whatever reason

I think most of us would agree with this… until we see results, it’s all rainbows and lollipops but what happens when things get real.

I hear you there.

Of all the Detroit sports teams though, and I think just a result of the NFL in general, the Lions have the most realistic and quickest chance to turn things around and become a playoff team vs the tigers/wings/Pistons

2 Likes

Y e s!

Also, I could speak to the topic, but don’t have the energy to put into it, right now.
People create distance so they can avoid being hurt, as well as “be right” and keep their identity (emotional comfort zone) safe.

1 Like

Not only keep their identity but also keep their job.

I feel like Carlos specifically is trying to fill that flame bating role to stir up controversy where none needs to be.

3 Likes

Far too many. Wish it would stop.

Fair, but there wasn’t elite talent.

I don’t think there were elite athletes there?

Pitts- another TE would have been tough. GONE

Chase-sure loved him. GONE

Waddle- could he gain 1,200 a year? GONE

Pretending D Smith is a better athletic profile for football than Sewell isn’t real. 166 pounds is a big 8th grader

1 Like