Carter to Visit Monday

YEah, it doesn’t sound great. At one point I wanted Carter, but I would take him off my board. Way too many little things. We have to not be blinded by our need at the position and then doing something desperate. Bad teams do that.

3 Likes

I listened to most of the show and I’m glad he went that route.

He didn’t lie to the audience, he was open about the fact there had been calls and those calls did raise concerns. But he never said anything to hurt the young man’s wallet or ruin his career or anything.

He also kept his loyalty and trust with those he talked to.

If he had come out and said well I talked to one guy who said (STORY) and then the next guy said (STORY) and so I made another call and that guy said (STORY), I think that would have been a bad look for TJ.

2 Likes

Yea, at the end of the day we really won’t know until draft night. If Carter is there and we pass, that pretty much tells it all at that point. We shall see.

So you’re saying if he impresses the staff, but doesn’t crush it, that’s a no go?

1 Like
2 Likes

I guess I don’t get your question. If he impresses the staff then I would say he crushed his interview.

1 Like

If he doesn’t want to hurt the kid…he should keep it to himself. This is the same stuff that happened with Micah Parsons. The game of “I don’t want to hurt anyone so I am not saying what it is…but just know its really, really bad and super secret!” C’mon, that’s not doing the right thing by the kid. Not that anyone has a responsibility to, but let’s not sugar coat it and make it something that its not.

3 Likes

Well said @Mr.Peabody - “I don’t wanna hurt the guy, but everything I’m hearing is negative and not good” - Then give zero examples. Seems very clickbaity again and that’s probably the goal of the radio sports talk show.

4 Likes

Seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I was paraphrasing that quote for the record, that’s not exactly how it was worded, it’s just from my memory, watched the clip yesterday.

It’s just that time of year where you really can’t believe anything you hear. Dan Campbell said what he heard was interesting and good about Carter for example. We will find out what they think for real in about 10 days.

4 Likes

TJ may have concerns about Carter, but on the other hand, Chris Simms, lauds him as a “generational talent”… a better prospect than Jeffery Simmons or Quinnen Williams when they were drafted. He doesn’t seem to be concerned at all about any questions regarding Carter’s off field issues.

Sorry about the length of the videos, just want you to hear it straight from the horses mouth.

2 Likes

And Simmons beats up women. But that’s water under the bridge now.

1 Like

I am not sure that is what he meant. I think he was referring to the fact that the information was good. It was something he didn’t know…that nobody knows. If it were something good about Carter that nobody knew why would he share that fact???

1 Like

Yea you could very well be right. I’m not gonna overthink anything these guys are saying right now. Smokescreen season couldn’t be more intense right now. Tough to breathe out there.

4 Likes

Also people refer to off the field issues holding Carter back. I don’t think that is it at all or a very low percent. I think it is more his work ethic. IF he had so much talent why weren’t his numbers better. Why don’t you see it every play? He looks lazy at times. Why was he heavy for his pro day? Wasn’t he working out? Why couldn’t he finish the drills? Is he content reading his own press clipping? The I already made it attitude.

I get that every now and then during a game you need a breather so you “take a play off” but it appears to happen quite a bit when you watch him. On the other hand, he may have thought we (Georgia defense)are so good somebody’s got this. No need for me to chase him down.

2 Likes

We go thru this every year with Georgia players. The scheme is more about containment than going after the QB. And they rotate a ton. Jermaine Johnson had 5 sacks at Georgia then transferred to Florida State and had 11.5 sacks.

The most sacks by any Georgia player this year was 4.5. Last year it was 6.5. Leonard Floyd had more sacks his rookie year in the NFL than he did in any season he was at Georgia.

2 Likes

It’s a valid point about their scheme, another valid point would be the lack of production a lot of these Georgia defensive players are having in the nfl so far. That could change with time, last year they had 5 defensive players drafted in the first round, and none of them did much.

Quay Walker probably was the most productive with the Packers when he wasn’t pushing coaches and trainers and getting ejected. haha

1 Like

Carter and lack of production or quality film do not go hand in hand. He was the highest graded power 5 defender and tied for the highest graded pass rushing grade. Sacks aren’t all that matters. Pressures, taking on double teams, knocking down the ball, forcing the QB to move off their platform they want to be at forcing inaccurate passes, drawing penalties, etc. There’s nothing about Carter’s production to be questioned, that’s just ignorant.

He’s a defensive tackle that’s going to have the entire OL’s focus, of course there’s going to be plays where he doesn’t flash, it’s normal. Of course, he’s going to look tired, when you’re competing against 600LBs of OL trying to double team you play after play, you’re going to get a little winded.

This time of year people just say stuff to say stuff. DC and Holmes will have talked to former or current teammates of Carter’s, family members of Carter, coaches all the way back to High School - if they select him, they’re going to be 100% convinced he’s a culture fit and has no work ethic issues.

8 Likes

Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

3 Likes

We were spoiled with Hutch and Problem. Jermaine Johnson had 2.5 sacks. Kayvon Tibby-dough had 4.

1 Like