CeeDee Lamb vs Jerry Jeudy and the Lions WR situation

I really like Chubba too but I can definitely see why you would comment that his style would match best with a zone blocking one cut and go system. Man does he get crazy low when running through the tackles.

I like Denzel Mims Baylor in later rounds https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy9wptWgTy0

Also Nico Collins

I agree, Ted. More specifically outside WRs. Somewhat of a dearth of slot guys (Duverney, Hamler, Bowden and Raegor) but as far as outside WRs we’re going to see some guys go on day three that might sneak into the second round in some drafts.

Well thought out. I agree but I was thinking round 3 we could get a 2nd round talent. I also agree the Lions need a possession type WR. A great route runner. Neither MJ or Galloday are great route runners. We really need that guy. We also need another WR with speed who can stretch the field. This draft has a few options in round one that can do both. But I only like that idea in a trade down scenario. I’m thinking a round 3 or rd 4 option is most likely

I think out great route runner is Amendola and will likely be Hock in time. I just think we need to resign Danny for one more season and draft both his understudy as well as Marvin. Hopefully by year three Hock is enough of a beast that we can go cheap at young at WR besides the 18m we’ll be paying Kenny G.

Hock will never be a great route runner. He’s not athletic enough. That was Fant. Hock doesn’t get much separation but he’s good at boxing out a defender and winning contested balls.

Amendola is by far our best route runner but he’s not a great one. Average by NFL standards. Also he might be hard to resign cost wise.

I’m talking Keenan Allen, Antonio Brown, Amari Cooper, Stefan Diggs, and Devante Adams category types. That’s what the Lions offense lacks. I will take a great route runner over size and speed any day.

It’s all relative. Hock is an in-line TE with some move TE traits. Fant is essentially a bigger, slower Evan Engram. That is certainly a great thing to have but it means they’re often matched up with a safety or even perhaps a CB. Hockenson is going to find himself in more favorable matchups and his agility scores at the combine are actually quite similar to Fant’s. I absolutely think Hock could be a Zack Ertz LeVeon route runner if he puts in the work.

I’m gonna agree to disagree.

Hock will never be a great route runner it’s not who he is. Very few TE’s are good route runners. While Hock is athletic for most TE’s he’s no where near the athlete Fant is. That’s why he had a limited route tree at Iowa and why Fant was lined up wide vs CB’s constantly.

But neither are the category of route runners I’m talking about here. So this discussion is a moot point. However 3 cone and speed are what create separation and 3 cone is a key athletic trait needed to be a great route runner. It’s not all that’s needed but it’s a decent measuring stick. Fant had the 11th best 3 cone at the combine. 11th best of all athletes including CB’s, RB’s and WR’s. He was far greater than the second best TE who happened to be Hock. Here’s how they compared.

Hocks combine:
40 - 4.7sec
3 cone 7.02

Fant
40 - 4.5 seconds
3 cone 6.81

In comparison let’s compare them to a great route runner.

A. Cooper.
40 - 4.42
3 cone 6.71

While there a lot more to great route running than just ability and agility you can kinda get the drift here.

This years draft has several candidates that are great route runners. I’m hoping We can get one.

Do you agree that Zack Ertz is great route runner? That seems to be the consensus throughout the league. Ertz ran a 7.08 3 come at the combine and was inferior to Hock in every other athletic testing.

I assume that when you are talking about route running you are generally referring to beating man. Well, you just have to match up the man against your. Amari Cooper will face a different type of defender than Hock.

Hock is a plenty sudden enough athlete to be a great route runner out of the TE spot. It just depends how much he commits himself to the craft.

Amari Cooper weight 225

T.J Hockenson weight 247

Big difference in moving that extra weight around in a 3-Cone drill, etc…Just sayin !!

Cooper weighed 211lbs when he ran those times. I don’t think he’s 225lbs now to be honest. Doesn’t look if

For a TE yes but that’s not what I’m talking about and why I said it’s a moot point.

Fair enough. Like you said we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

That’s part of the point but it’s only a fraction of what makes a good route runner.

I’m talking about needing players here that can run routes and create separation on an NFL quality DB.

Hock will never be that guy. That’s why he will rarely line up outside.

Very, very sour on using a first for a WR.

1 Like

See my above posts.

I’ve read them. Just commenting and unless Young or Burrows is available, all for a trade down.

Can’t get with WR early. We have a QB who makes a 400 year old Amendola look like Golden Tate. Who wasn’t Golden Tate before or after being with our QB. We have an elite pass catching TE coming back (I hope). They’ll re-up Golladay and probably Amendola I’d bet. Jones is under contract for 2020. So yes, we do need to improve our depth, but outside of the line and probably another RB we should be tweaking on offense IMHO.

1 Like

Nailed that one.

the only WR I’d think about getting rid of is Marvin Jones and that’s a maybe , Danny Amendola made BIG plays that bailed us out of many tough situations had to be 15 times in 2019 I was giving props to Dan for nice plays.