CFB Week 2: UM/TX and a couple others that may be interesting

The marquee game on paper and reputation is UM vs TX
We will learn a lot about UM’s offense this week, hope to see a little more than we saw last week.
TN vs NCSU two ranked opponants
CO vs Nebraska, Rhule vs Sanders could be a fun game to watch

MSU vs Maryland don’t know enough about Maryland to say anything on this one.

IA vs ISU
Instate rivalry what IA offense will show up…or not?
Arkansas vs Oklahoma State
Not really sure how good either team is supposed to be but two power five teams good to see in week two. @Thats2 any thoughts?

Duke vs NW, yea I’m reaching…

1 Like

Yes, I’m nervous as shit.

1 Like

Can’t wait to see how the freshmen QB from Nebraska performs. Let’s see if he can put together back to back games after a great week one performance

I expected more from MSU’s QB & I don’t want to be too hard on him as he is young. However he was very unimpressive. Then I was watching the Florida State game and was even more unimpressed with DJ U, who started over Chiles last season at Oregon State…

1 Like

Honestly I really don’t know how the game will go. We have pretty good athletes but SEC teams generally have better ones, and Arkansas looked great in their first game, albeit against a crappy opponent. Petrino’s still got it. I suspect they’ll be able to put up plenty of points against us, our D is middling at best.

That said I was pleasantly surprised by OSU’s performance against SD State. I know they’re from a lower division but they’re the 2-time champs and hadn’t lost in like 30 games. Those types of teams tend to give P5 teams fits, but our game really wasn’t that close.

I really think it’s a coin flip game. If I was a betting man - and I am, just not on the teams I root for - I’d be all over Arkansas to cover. Last I saw they were 9 point dogs.

1 Like

My assumption as a Michigan guy (albeit one currently giving most of my money to MSU) is that we pretty much saw the UM offense last week: kind of a mess, with nobody really stepping up to claim starting QB or WR roles, and an OL that’s going to need reps and time to gel.

I’m more curious to see how the defense looks vs. Texas. I don’t expect to win the game, but is the D elite enough to keep Michigan in the hunt for the next few weeks, while the offense figures out wtf it’s doing? I think they actually could be, but we’ll see.

2 Likes

In looking a littledeeper the offense wasn’t as bad as I initially thought.
And they didn’t run certain things they ran a lot the last three years including when Moore was the OC. I expect those things will return. a lot more motion than week one for one example.

Not sure I agree with all he says but an Urban take on UM’s offense.

2 Likes

So, many here say a two QB will not work at the NFL level but it being used right now by UM…?

So someone thinks it can work….

This is good stuff, and at least a little more encouraging. I do think the extra trickeration could help this week. But I also think you’re always better off with a QB who can reliably command the offense and receivers who can get separation, and this is the kind of stuff you pull when you don’t have that. Although Sherrone Moore has surprised me in the past as a more ballsy and innovative guy than I thought, so I’m hoping for the best.

1 Like

Or they are still trying to decide which QB gives them the best opportunity to win Warren or Orji.
I think Orji had around 10 snaps total iirc.

As I said in the other post, I think they will settle on one and I think it will end up being Warren. My confidence in Orji’s ability to throw the ball accurately and or on time is low.

I think it is more about bringing back more motion than trickery, imo.

2 Likes

In general keep an eye on UNLV this year. They could make some noise.

Ricky White had a think 1 catch for 11 yards and they rolled through Houston. Matthew Sluka is at worst a plus college QB. White is a for sure pro. Jalen Catalon is for now healthy and leading that defense who played inspired last weekend. Barry Odom is an underrated ball coach IMO.

Sneaky dangerous team and no one has yet realized it.

1 Like

What is it they call that offense? The Go-Go? Their OC is a real up-and-comer, from what I understand.

Yea just not accurate enough. He is a weapon though… Michigan should consider using him at different positions to get him on the field more.

2 Likes

Yep. And yes I think he’ll have HC offers this cycle. If not from the Power 4 at least from a proud D1 program or programs elsewhere. I also think Odom gets another P4 shot very soon so it may be an elevation scenario.

It does seem like Odom kind of got short-shrifted by Mizzou, but what’s new in big-time college sports. I remember Marion from his playing days at Tulsa, have a few friends who work there. He was a legit prospect until the injuries, good to know he’s landed on his feet.

Don’t be shocked if they win 10 games

I know a lot of bigger programs sniffed around Sluka and then opted for more “proven” guys. Think there will be some buyer’s remorse. Not sure that he’ll even hang around on the NFL level but there is enough there to be impactful at the college level as an upperclassman.

I honestly don’t know much about him, other than he transferred from some small school to UNLV. What kind of tools are we talking here?

He was Jalen Coker’s QB. Don’t know a ton either. From what I understand it’s sort of a Taylor Heinecke type of package. Good, not great athlete, all the intangibles, arm is okay but at best fringe NFL. Seems to be a bit of the kamikaze QB type both as a runner and in terms of hero ball throws.

But you can’t tell me that Norvell wouldn’t die for that right about now.