Chargers continue Harbaugh HC prep

Chargers Continue Jim Harbaugh Prep; Michigan HC Aiming To Land L.A. Job?

January 4th, 2024 at 3:04pm CST by Sam Robinson

Michigan is set to play for a national championship for the first time in the CFP era, defeating Alabama in overtime Monday night. The Wolverines had encountered a rough patch before Jim Harbaugh‘s arrival, but the former Super Bowl HC has them positioned as one of college football’s premier programs. Michigan again looks to be competing with the NFL for its coach’s services.

Specifically, the Chargers loom as an opportunity Harbaugh may covet. While Harbaugh-to-NFL buzz has surfaced over the past two offseasons, the Bolts continue to be connected to their former quarterback. The Chargers-Harbaugh pairing has gained steam recently, per ESPN.com’s Jeremy Fowler, who adds the Bolts have done preliminary homework on the former 49ers HC.

The subject of Harbaugh’s salary ask — potentially around $15MM — could complicate matters for an organization not known for spending big on head coaches, but the Washington Post’s Jason La Canfora indicates Harbaugh “badly” wants the Bolts job. Harbaugh interviewed with the Vikings in 2022 and Broncos last year but ended up back at Michigan. The Bolts bring the allure of a prized young quarterback, Justin Herbert, changing the equation. Then again, Harbaugh is not the only coaching candidate who is believed to be drawn to this job.

2 Likes

That would be good. One less desirable job in which the Lions could lose Ben Johnson.

4 Likes

If he took Jesse Minter with him the Chargers would be dangerous next year.

4 Likes

I wonder if the two parties met in some fashion last week while Harbaugh was over there.

2 Likes

Please no…LOL
Two guys I hope they can keep is Minter and the S&C coach if Harbaugh leaves.

Weird headline compared to the article.
Article is all about the Raiders.
Ever since his stint with the San Francisco 49ers from 2011 to 2014, Jim Harbaugh has almost always been a candidate for a return to the NFL as a head coach. Having previously interviewed for the Minnesota Vikings and the Denver Broncos—both of which led to Harbaugh’s decision to stay with the Wolverines—this time, a pull from the Las Vegas Raiders may be what he needs to return to where it all started. And the Raiders are more than equipped to give him that incentive.

The headline mentions Giants.

Despite Reports of Michigan’s $125 Million Contract, Jim Harbaugh Tipped to Leave for Cash-Rich NFL Giants

Bad title. Agreed.

Harbaugh to the Chargers seems like the biggest slam dunk lock to me, but who knows.

Washington is the place for Ben Johnson. If that doesn’t happen, I’d lean towards him staying.

1 Like

if Atlanta opened up… I could that having appeal for him.

1 Like

With what QB solution?

1 Like

The front office has to align for him. Yeah, the QB is the perfect situation for him to have a quick turnaround, but the front office has to align the way he wants. A setup with someone like Ed Dodds as the GM, but Harbaugh having final say. Would the Chargers give him that? If the answer is yes, I’d say he’s gone.

1 Like

they have a top 10 pick at the moment….

1 Like

It would be curious to see what Harbaugh would do if he took that job and JJ McCarthy declares for the draft.

2 Likes

I don’t think any situation is perfect for Harbaugh. I’m sure he wants the Chargers QB situation, Washington’s cap space and the Raiders ownership. (Davis and Brady can handle Harbaugh’s style)

JJ isn’t the best QB in college, but I think Harbaugh sees himself in him. That competitiveness and wildness on the field. I also get the sense he has the same “I don’t care if people like me or not, I’m just going to be me” type personality. JJ is all smiles and sticks to his routine, despite rivals mocking his meditation before games.

Jimbo has the weapons at LAC. Seems if he wanted to join the nfl that would be ideal for him.

2 Likes

I’d stay at Michigan if I was Harbaugh… you got big house rocking every week with well over 100,000 fans.

Then go to LA and have your home stadium be invaded by the opposition and essentially play 17 road games. Yuck

1 Like

Problem is hes always wanted a SB ring. Hes got a big ego and wants to get a college and nfl championship

I wouldn’t bet against him

2 Likes