Chargers hire Brandon Staley

Per Rappaport. Woah, didn’t see this coming from anywhere. Seemed like Daboll’s job to lose.

1 Like

You have to wonder if they buckled under pressure to get assistants assembled.

1 Like

Oh wow, I didnt either. I thought Daboll was a lock there.

Pump the brakes on Campbell and get an interview lined up with Daboll. He’s really good. Too bad it won’t happen.

4 Likes

Shocker… Dabboll would be a much better option than Campbell

MUCH better. Like I don’t think that can be stated enough. We need to interview him, Campbell isn’t going anywhere.

What a meteoric rise! Four Years ago he was the Defensive Coordinator at John Carroll University. Four years ago! John Carroll University! Good for him.

No Patriot’s.

Yeah - talk about a quick rise to the top. I hope he can assemble a good staff.

It’s interesting - fans on here seem to like this kid more than Campbell. Everything from the fact that Dan is a “meathead” to the fact that doesn’t have HC experience (even if he does), and he hasn’t been a coordinator in the NFL (assistant HC to Sean Payton for half a decade would seem to be ok). Yet this cat was coaching in D-freakin-3 a few years ago, and fans are like “I like him way better than Campbell!”

I have no horse in this race, but it’s wildly interesting to me. It really seems like physical appearances, and “wunderkid” labels, along with media puff pieces, really affect people’s perceptions of coaching hires.

Staley may in fact be an awesome hire, and the next Sean McVay, but this cat was coaching D3 a few years ago. I think he’s going to have to win over an NFL locker room - which isn’t the kind of things fans think about on message boards. Also, who is his OC? Because they have a potential franchise QB in Justin Herbert. You better have a damn good OC who knows how to work with, and develop, a young potential franchise QB in Herbert.

4 Likes

I have concerns with Campbell. I’d have concerns with Staley. But I have no reason to think they can’t be successful. Still it’s definitely a leap of faith. This is why I preferred Marvin Lewis. Proven B/B+ NFL Head Coaching.

1 Like

In fairness though, Staley feels like a much larger leap of faith. He may end up being a better coach for all I know, but he’s not even in the same league in terms of “leap of faith” as Dan Campbell. Dan has been in the NFL for 21 years, and has been an NFL coach for a decade. Staley has 3 years experience in the NFL and 1 year as anything outside a position coach.

For the record I also preferred Marvin Lewis at the beginning of the search. However I do worry about whether the guy is just burned out. He’s approaching his mid 60s and is a co-defensive coordinator in college, which means he probably has Antonio Pierce doing a lot of the work to make a name for himself. He just may not posses the same fire he used too. The experience is great, but at a certain point you’re just kinda over running an entire franchise in your 60s (I sure as hell wouldn’t blame him)

2 Likes

But his John Carroll defenses were off the charts good. :eyes:

It’s such a crazy rags to riches story. I always sort of liked the Chargers. They’re difficult to hate. Hopefully he does well there.

I’d have concerns too. Personally I don’t think he’s ready to be a HC but I think he’s a better fit for SD than he is here. They are a young team but are starting to put the pieces together on the offensive side of the ball. The HC can grow with the team and maybe make a run for it 3-5 years from now.

But I’d expect growing pains with someone having just 4 years of NFL experience.

However he’s got 8 years college coaching experience too.

I have a buyer beware rating on Staley. Definitely helped spending time with Vic Fangio to hone his craft. I figured a good litmus test would be going against the Packers, who were used to facing Fangio’s defense, and sure enough, the Rams D got shredded, right down to using a motion trick to take out Ramsey on a TD pass.

It will be interesting to see his staff. Wish the Chargers were on the schedule next year.

Best of luck to the guy, but it smells like its going to end up being a bad hire when we look back at it.

1 Like

I don’t see any way that he’ll be an upgrade over Lynn, who I thought should get one more year… I hope we can bring Lynn on board as OC

I’m not up on things out there.

From the team’s perspective, why is Lynn being fired, especially considering he’s an offensive guy and they have a rookie QB?
From a Lions fan’s perspective, why should we want the guy?

Not sure exactly, they lost a lot of close games and their special teams were god awful… He definitely would add good experience on the coaching staff, his scheme is centered around a strong run game and a vertical passing game, which I think benefits Stafford. Rumor has it Seattle wants him for their OC, and of course they do, they’re a good franchise.

1 Like

He got fired because they couldn’t hold onto a lead to save their lives. I don’t know why we’d want him. I want someone more innovative as an OC. Experience at the DC position is better IMO than OC.