Chargers still $25M over the cap, must be compliant by 4pm

Chargers $25M over the cap

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1767891255302733842

Mack Final year 2024 cash due of $23M
K Allen final year 2024 cash due $23M
Williams final year 2024 cash due $20M
Bosa 2yrs left 47M

I can’t imagine trading anything for these guys unless it comes with a pay cut. But something has to happen today, to get them cap compliant.

5 Likes

I think the only trade movement we see on this group is if there’s a behind the scenes contract hammered out which reduces the cap hit. Still don’t expect much in return on a trade deal, it’s a buyers market.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind any of those guys, with paycuts, of course. Or the Chargers retaining some of their salary (you can do that in the NFL, right?)

one GIF

They can bonus it out, but I’m not sure what that gets them. They can’t execute the trade until after 4pm and they still have to be compliant by 4pm. Chargers are a mess

4 Likes

If they don’t get under by 4pm, they are subject to fines/loss of picks? I don’t remember the exact rules because as far as I know, even the Saints usually find a way to get under.

1 Like

You can’t do any transactions until you get under the cap, so they can’t sign anyone, extend ERFA or RFA tenders and they may fine them a draft pick. Some mentioned walking back transactions that put a team over (which might be voiding Herbert’s extension).

But, I remember someone asking Andrew Brandt what happens if a team doesn’t get cap compliant and he just said they will. :person_shrugging:

I was just reading about this. Let’s Gooo

2 Likes

I’d love Mack or Bosa if the cost made sense.

1 Like

Nobody is trading for Mike Williams at that contract, he is an easy cut to save 20mil. They can restructure Derwin James to get the rest. \

My guess is they do something like this to buy them a couple extra days to try and trade Allen/Bosa/Mack.

my guess is they trade (Desperately) mack, cut mike, extend Keenan Allen

Joey Bosa is the weird one out of the 4 tbh

Seems simple for them to me, Williams and Bosa never play. Williams being the only guy that can take advantage of Herbert’s arm is the only pause.

I’ll be honest, if Herbert is healthy with Harbaugh they have to make the playoffs. Other than what the Ravens did to us Herbert’s game against us was the single best performance by an opposing player I saw last year.

3 Likes

So you are saying they CANT really trade anyone without penalty because that will force them to bo non-compliant?

Again i think it would be nuts to trade for them. If any of them we are interested in want to play here they will be significantly cheaper letting it play out. We cant overpay AND give up draft capital. Draft capital is worth double in Brads hands than most gms.

wonder what compensation they would part with to a team to take on mack or bosa

Maybe if it’s a peanuts type trade piece of a future late round pick, just to ensure you are the team that gets them, even on a one year rental. I’d take Allen. He lit us up last year. I would have paid Mack the money we gave to Davenport while guaranteeing the incentive money. That would have been 10M and instead got a guy who actually played 17 games last year (something Davenport has NEVER done) and he racked up 17 sacks! Again… well…

4 of the 5 highest non Q cap hits in '24 are Chargers.

So 54% of their 2024 cap is those four guys? Wild. 2023 LAC has to be on of the most magnificent face plants of an all in season in league history.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/nickkorte/status/1767917635973632502

1 Like

Hell no. Mack is not worth his curent price. No way am i paying that even if it only costs a 7th. Most people said he had lost 2 steps last year. He had that crazy 6 sack game against a third string OT so dont drool too much over his 17 sacks last year. I would bet my house he wont approach that number again in his career. Now would i pay him 15-17 mil for one year hoping he gets 10ish… all day. Pay him 23 mil (which we cant afford anymore) is not a smart move

2 Likes

Chargers are a mess. Jimbo got himself in some mess. Did he not know about their issues?

No man knows the future but maybe he should have researched the future a little?

1 Like