Chris Olave, A Bust in the Making?

Watching cooler kupp and obj just shows how important precious route running can be to an offense. I’d rather have a wideout that runs impeccable routes and routinely gets open than a guy with all the physical tools in the world that doesn’t care enough to learn.

1 Like

I think the Jets need to avoid any WR with Zach Wilson under center.

That is Garrett Wilson. Best route runner I’ve ever seen with how he sets guys up.

Is it necessarily bad to be labeled a bust in the making, if that bust ends up in Canton?

1 Like

I get it, believe me, I do. However, I am going to put forth that at some point, this guy’s opinion was valued enough that he actually got paid to watch football and give his opinion.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day, right?

It’s less about taking this report as the gospel truth and a lot more about seeing the validity, or invalidity, of each of these points. Some of them might be way off base, but then again, some might open your eyes to things you hadn’t seen before.

At the end of the day, we humans are all flawed products, subject to our individual limitations and shortsightedness. That’s why I asked our resident expert on OSU, @HSVLion , to weigh in on the most disturbing part of this report. The same guy also has a glowing report on Garrett Wilson, does that get thrown out as well? See what I’m saying?

It’s an opinion piece. Maybe it’s valid, maybe it’s not, but surely you can agree it’s worthy of discussion, right :wink:

I had a much longer reply type but decided it wasn’t worth it.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. This IS the place we can discuss them. At least why I am here.

Have you read this guys story?

He spent 4 years working for the NYJ. It sounds like the guy was very driven and the NYJ gave him a low level shot writing reports and helping the scouting staff.

The guys dream was to be a scout. He had zero experience but was able to convince the NYJ to give him a shot inside the organization. The NYJ paid him just $21k a year for his services. He lasted 4 years and no NFL team has given him a shot since.

Read this - https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/.amp/news/ny-jets-daniel-kelly-nfl-scout-cancer-against-the-odds

Personally from what I can tell this guys stuff isn’t very good.

I wouldn’t put any more stock into his opinion than you would anyone else’s.

With that said Olave was much higher on my list last year but he’s slowly falling out of favor for me. He just didn’t make the strides I thought he would make this last year. Personally I like WR’s who are either very physical or great route runners. He’s neither and players like him tend to struggle in the NFL. Does that mean he will bust? … NO but I would take several WR’s before him.

2 Likes

I would have to disagree there on the route running part. I agree with you - I don’t think Olave is a physical WR. But I do think he is a very good route runner. One of the best in the draft, actually. He runs really good comebacks and digs, particularly.

The thing too is that OSU actually ran its fair share of bubble screens and end arounds to Olave. As much as he gets dinged for his RAC, OSU didn’t seem to have a problem with it. And you don’t want to let this guy free on an intermediate route because he will house it.

For me, I would say the biggest knock I have on Olave is his frame. He looks a little Devonta Smith to me in that regard. And I don’t think Devonta Smith is a terrible comp. He has that wiry frame, but is very silky in the way he operates and a real technician on the sidelines. I think Devonta was better with the RAC. The thing with both of them, even before Devonta’s Heisman season, was that they both had a knack for making a play when one was really needed. They are dependable WRs who consistently produce.

He runs posts and comebacks very well. I don’t really see a whole lot of digs in our offense, and especially ones with him. We use JSN on those kinds of routes inside from the slot because we’d have Olave or Wilson running something that will either get open 100% of the time or get over the top.

Olave is a good route runner with a small route tree. I don’t know how able he’d be to adapt to an NFL route tree.

With the amount of bubble screens we run, I’m sure we threw at least a few to him over his 4 years, but I can’t recall a single end around or jet sweep we ever gave to him. That was Wilson’s thing.

This is the comp I keep coming back too, but Smith was more accomplished and proven, and Olave has better speed.

We see how Smith is doing right now. He’s actually getting banged up more than I thought he would, and I was a fan of his big time.

1 Like

I’ve seen a couple. And they do run quick passes/bubbles on occasion. That is definitely Wilson’s thing, but I almost think its to the point where Olave isn’t getting any credit at all RAC and they weren’t afraid to run those plays to him every once in a while. Defenses have to account for Olave, even if he isn’t a Waddle or Wilson even. He’s more dangerous catching a pass in stride and breaking it as opposed to breaking tackles and juking for sure.

And I see him running some sort of crosser quite a bit, so that is what I meant. Post too.

Daniel Kelly writes articles for anyone who is willing to click on it. Last year he said Zach Wilson is a 3rd round QB who will get everyone fired… Then he made a prospect board and put him in the top 15. You can find opinions for everything you may already believe. He was a scout… but he writes way too much random content for clicks.

Detroit has its own share of media folks who do the same thing. Say and write things for clicks. Just to be outlandish. Is becoming more prevalent. Clicks/retweets mean money.

Huge part of what I had typed earlier but decided to not post.

1 Like

This leadership seems to want receivers that can block. In fact they want want lineman that can run block, a TE that can run block, and receivers that can run block. In short, we want to stuff it down teams throats. I imagine we can safely remove any receiver that isn’t physical from our draft board.

On the other hand, in a room full of Tarzans, sometimes you need a Jane.

These things aren’t mutually exclusive. Not defending the guy, but pegging where Wilson would go in a QB hungry league, while at the same time stating his true talent level and future, might be regarded as prescient? Maybe?

And here we are two years later:

The problem has manifested itself.

Eh, he’s had a pretty good first two years from what I heard.
I thought Wilson was leagues ahead of him, and i didn’t think Olave was worth a 1. He’s proved me wrong. Up till now.

1 Like

Olave has over 1500 yards in 22 career games….
and they are throwing him under the bus in the media???

Sounds like more is wrong in New Orleans than just the route running….

Cant Look Away Star Trek GIF

2 Likes

Rereading this thread was fun

2 Likes

I have no idea what made me say Olave wouldn’t be a plus route runner in the NFL. He was quite literally the textbook definition of a plus route runner in college.

2 Likes