Chris Olave, A Bust in the Making?

I’ve seen him do it a bunch this year. Olave needs to finish his reps. What he’s doing fairly consistently is bullsh!t.

But part of their frustration with Olave is the result of poor coaching. He’s not a physical WR. He’s never going to be. Running that fourth down fade with the game on the line was such a terrible call but why run it to him rather than Michael Thomas. Olave is a good player but he has a specific niche. He needs to be used correctly and the Saints are often failing to do so.

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting I agree with the OP characterization or prediction that Olave would be a bust, but rather just how accurate the observation about his route running deficiencies were, especially compared to Wilson.

I think the main deficiency is actually toughness which is IMO the same deal with Carr.

You said no Jamo and willed it to happen for us. Thank you

So here is a breakdown of the play that Carr was so upset about… it was a 3rd down and 5 yards to go… with 10:46 left in the game.
Let’s take a look at who really messed this play up.

Pre-snap…. Jags don’t show any blitz.
They have 2 deep safeties.
The CBs are playing 8-9 yards OFF the LOS.
Looks like quarters or 2-man.

Immediately after snap….
nothing changes to confuse a QB.
No blitz. Safeties maintain their depth. CBs open hips to drop.

Now… the moment Carr is pulls the trigger…
this pic shows Carr in mid throwing motion.
Olave is on the 23-yard line & ball still in Carr’s hand.
Olave is covered. Darius Williams is sinking and has plenty of room to stay in front of Olave.

Meanwhile…. Taysom Hill is running an out to the sticks.
His guy sat in his zone… and Hill has tons of space to the sideline for an easy catch and 1st down.
Also…. the slot WR is just shy of the sticks with the middle of field open.
And…. the big circle in deep middle of field will show another potential place for an open throw.

This next pic… based on Olave’s position at the 24-yard line…
was taken at nearly same time as previous pic.
Carr is just about to release the pass.
The dig route (Thomas) to the top of screen is WIDE OPEN.
There are zero DBs in the deep middle of field.

That was 3 open targets on higher percentage routes…
but Carr seemed to have made his mind up before the snap.

And… finally…. the pass.

Carr ranted at Olave like he ruined the play…
even though Olave slowed up after the ill-advised pass was thrown.

Carr’s pass was so far out of bounds it didn’t even hit the white paint on the sideline. The DB didn’t even try to dive for it.
Carr is going to lose the team if he keeps acting like that…

2 Likes

I get all of that. This very play is being diagnosed on Twitter in many of the same ways. That being said I’ve seen him pull up on multiple vertical routes throughout this year. Carr is of course aware of that as well.

But Carr’s emotional disposition is not ideal for leading a football team.

1 Like

Bring him to Detroit. Kid can play.