Chris Spielman says

I’m with Spielman on this. If he believes we should stay the course then I am all in on it.

Lots of injuries this year and all of the games have been one score games.

Look at the 49ers this year. Third year of the coaching staff, QB injury last year, and something like 4 wins last year. 10-1 now.

We need to give this time. Team is close, but also too many injuries right now.

2 Likes

…oh, and no one complained about the Defensive scheme early in the year when they were a bit healthier and it was working.

Get the team healthy, add the pieces we are missing, and hit this again next year.

2 Likes

Ummm…someone should have warned you.

Reason and thought don’t go over so well here.

Just stop it and get out on the ledge!!!

7 Likes

I don’t see the logic in comparing Patricia to a coach that took over a 2 win team with no quarterback.

Their situations were as different as can be

Our guys were most definitely doing some things differently in those early games as well. It’s not just health. Daniels wasn’t healthy, Hand still hadn’t played, Snacks appeared very unfit coming into the season, and Flowers was recovering from an injury (actually playing much better now).

I think we will get better, but daaaaamn this has been rough. I also feel like we were using Kenard a lot differently early on. Plus, nobody’s trying to punch footballs out, these days. It’s like we gave up on going for turnovers.

I do think this thing will get righted, bud the growing pains are even worse, as well as very different than I ever imagined them. Please…Sweet, tiny, baby, Jesus, in your little tuxedo shirt & can’t even speak a word of English…Please get us a DC.

1 Like

Yup - we’re closer than most think, IMO. I think we improve depth and talent a couple of more years in a row and contend for something meaning fun soon (seems soon on a timeline of a 48 year old Lions fan). LOL.

3 Likes

Just adjusted this to show another angle.

1 Like

More than Wes?!? :astonished:

:wink:

1 Like

Patricia is going to get a third year. I’m ambivalent about it but it’s very likely to happen

2 Likes

I want him gone but I’ve accepted it

It is weird to me that losing to the Redskins with half the team out was the final straw for so many other people.

I think we get killed on Thanksgiving and even more of the masses jump on the fire Patricia wagon.

I guess we’ll see.

1 Like

My take:

There are definitely things to like about Patricia. We’re going overboard out of frustration, IMO. Can’t say I blame anybody. I’m frustrated too. But I think he is a good schemer. I think he adjusts well. The defense IMO is simply not talented currently. It might be at full health. But even at full health we need some difference makers.

I want to criticize Quinn more. But I don’t think he’s drafted terribly. My issue with him is the lack of what I call “difference makers”. He’s drafting a lot of guys who fit in schemes and mesh with Patricia’s system. that’s not a bad thing. But if you look at our roster any actual difference maker was drafted before Quinn got here. The best pick he’s made is Kenny Galloday.

I know Chris doesn’t want to give the plan away…but I wish he would elaborate.

6 Likes

I I’m frustrated bc I don’t like watching shit football and I feel like the lions are racing against the clock (stafford’s prime) to get it right. But I’m Not shocked this is happening. Everything I’ve read and heard has talked about this being a huge undertaking and not simply a new GM and HC. It was a culture change. That kind of movement doesn’t happen over night and you don’t get every piece you want in one season or two. I think why the injuries have been so significant and people are questioning coaching is bc the injuries have been to vital parts that make this defense and team hum. Those injuries make other weak position groups that much more noticeable. Think it’s clear they would like to upgrade Jones, good backup, he isn’t a starter, but he is closer to what they want in LB then Davis. I am not sure what to make of Davis and he has always been a reason why I wish BQ fired Caldwell sooner rather then draft another draft of his players. TJ watt screams this scheme. Davis rushing through qb reminds me of my son learning to skate and skates towards me misses me and goes slamming into the boards. Think slay is gone after this year and I think he and Diggs were two of the biggest voices vs the current administration and their talents outweighed the headache until they no longer do…in Diggs case it was with the rapid growth of walker and what progress they saw in Harris…I guess. I thought before the year this next offseason was huge and when moves started to shift in our favor…whatever happened this year relied on stafford and good fortune (health, turnovers and players playing up). Guess next year is even more important now.

1 Like

At this point I’m tired of arguing about this regime.

I think we were headed toward a Marnelliesque year next year, I pray I’m wrong but at this point the people who believe in this regime won’t consider removing them until next year and even I think that’s somewhat reasonable.

I don’t have someone in mind that is available that I think would be a slam dunk over these dudes so we might as well let this play out.

1 Like

As long as we have somewhat healthy Stafford at QB, I don’t think we will ever get to 2008 again. He has way more talent than Culpepper or Orlovsky or Stanton whoever else was QB that year. Eventhough the defense this year is definitely rivaling those days.

I think Quinn and Patricia come back next year, and I was all out on Sunday afternoon, but I think they at least should get another year. People just asking for failure and firing now will either just look “smart” next year if it doesn’t succeed or they will slink into obvilion if it does. I think it is obvious that Quinn was handcuffed with Caldwell by the owners or whoever, and he had drafted as such to succeed with that coaching style. He was eventually given autonomy and used that to get his boy in Matty P. Now he had to rebuild the entire roster to fit what he wanted with Patricia and we are not seeing the immediate. Other than a few decent players from the Caldwell days, they have gotten rid of almost everyone. The main problem is Quinn was so focused on getting Patricia that he didn’t see that what he did the first 2 years would taint his job moving forward. Most GMs who dump a coach try to get someone who fits the players they have. Not Quinn and his boy…they should have been truthful like Stevie Y. and say this isn’t gonna happen overnight, but he didn’t and he is constantly being held to that “9-7 isn’t good enough” line and the fans and media use that as the end all, be all.

Now if Martha, Sheila or whoever is actually running the team decides to can these guys, I would care in the slightest.

2 Likes

I wish Patricia would hire Spielman as a LB coach and he could quickly find out if we have any that can be salvaged. Our LB’s lack understanding of what they are watching (especially Davis & Jones) and are the weakest unit on the team.

I agree with pretty much everything you said. Didn’t they walk back at the beginning of the season last year and talk about this taking a minute…I remember Iggy making a lot of points about it and how this was a rebuild.

Good post
Pretty much sums up a take that is logical
(Not many around here these days)

I just don’t believe an NFL GM would attempt a full tear rebuild with a quarterback in his 30s making top of the market money.

There is no precedent for it.

1 Like

isn’t that what was said about Millen ?

1 Like

As Lions fans, I think all we can hope for is that Chris is right. If by the middle of next year it’s clear that it’s not fixed, ie., it’s a playoff team, then I’m ready to get out my pitchfork. I want to see what they do this offseason. I think they have no choice but to swing for the fences and bring in as much new talent as they can afford. I’d like to see a move up for Chase Young. I think he’s a difference maker as a rook. There are a lot of moves they can make, and they’d better make the right ones. Because if they start slow next year, once again I think we start seeing lots of empty seats at Ford Field, something Martha won’t put up with.

2 Likes