Christian Gonzales impresses

I see I posted in the wrong thread a few times.

Oops.

:rofl:

Eddie Murphy Punishment GIF by Coming to America

2 Likes

I think thereā€™s going to be a run on CBā€™s round one. It would not shock me if 3-4 are off the board by our 18th pick.

1 Like

Eh, who would have thought that ā€œCalifornia Coolā€ Goff would have had that competitive fire in him that he showed last season. I remember all the talk about how soft he is, not a Dan Campbell guy etc. and it turned out, so far, to be proven wrong.

Long story short, I prefer the player with the highest upside not the player who seemingly is a better culture fit. I trust this coaching staff to get the most out of their players so give me the high upside guy. Personally, I think Tyree Wilson has the highest upside of all the guys realistically available at 6 and Iā€™d be inclined to say Bijan as well so I wouldnā€™t take a corner just because it fills a bigger need. Give me BPA. Itā€™s such a deep corner class that I think theyā€™d be better served to take BPA at 6 and BCA at 18.

6 Likes

If we do draft Gonzo, that would mean AG has a corner drafted 3rd and 6th overall. No excuses at that point. You got 2 very early 1st round picks, the secondary should be lock down at that point, unless you have no idea what youā€™re doing.

But, I do think John Fox is going to help a shit ton! Dude has lead several outstanding defenses and spent a decade coaching DBā€™s before he was ever a DC and HC

Iā€™m setting the over/under at 4. Whoā€™s taking the over and whoā€™s taking the under? This includes defensive backs like Branch as well, not just strictly a corner. I think I might even take the over which would be crazy on paper - but this draft is stacked in the secondary.

Nah, upside all day when the floor isnā€™t that low either. Gonzales every day and twice on Sunday.

I still want both Gonzo and Spoon. Iā€™m CB greedy. Iā€™m inclined to take Gonzo though with Spoon opting out of the 40. Does anyone buy the hamstring pull? He just didnā€™t want to put up Teez Tabor number. Love the guy on the field but I have PTSD from drafting slower DBs

2 Likes

What corners remind you of Jerry Jacobs in the game tape? Who has shown that aggression and dawg? That physicality? Spoon, porter Jr and Banks. Those are the corners to be zeroing in on. Those are the kinda guys they want opposite side of the field to jacobs. Gonzo doesnā€™t fit their scheme bc of what they want from their corners. Dan said it himself, they watch the tape. Nothing they do in pajamas changes that. Gonzo is a great corner and Iā€™d love to have him, just doubt it happens.

You are saying that this scheme doesnā€™t fit Darius Slay. And if thatā€™s the case, than its the scheme thatā€™s the problem. Not the player.

2 Likes

Not sure you can go to that extreme. Boxing yourself in a corner like that.

There is a scenario where Gonzalez isnā€™t what a team is looking for at corner. He is Deion Sanders who you take no matter what bc he is a generational talent you canā€™t pass on.

1 Like

I think if your counting all DBā€™s Iā€™ll take the over.

2 Likes

Its a corner I am completely comfortable with. Sometimes the football gods who make millions to make football decisions overthink things and smell their own butt toots too much. If you canā€™t use gonzo, your scheme is trash.

And let me make this clear. Gonzo will be good in man AND zone as well as come up and tackle. So if you know of a personnel guy that disagrees with that, I am not interested in his opinion.

1 Like

He probably isnā€™t too interested in any of our opinions either. YOU are comfortable with him. Itā€™s your opinion. You are basically saying if someone dares to think different then me A FAN that PROFESSIONAL can fuuuuuuck off.

1 Like

I am sorry. The pro evaluators are perfect and donā€™t make mistakes. Let me bow down to them and declare them the alpha and the omega. I am only hoping that maybe, by pure luck, a pro talent evaluator might misjudge a prospect 1 time in their entire evaluating lives. Letā€™s roll the dice.

All jokes aside we can talk about the value and the price you need to pay for Gonzo. I make the same case against Richardson, while also understanding the same stance from people who donā€™t want Bijan in the 1st. Thatā€™s a real discussion. But if any coach or talent evaluator tells you that Gonzo doesnā€™t fit the schemeā€¦look at that guy sideways. Either the scheme is trash or his eye for talent is suspect AF.

2 Likes

There was an NFL scout and uber Lions fan who used to post in Reddit who targeted Gonzo as a very good fit for the Lions. I think I posted his analysis here a while back

1 Like

Heā€™s a good fit definitely.

I like spoon better personally but Iā€™d be happy as hell with Gonzo.

I honestly expect us to take one of them.

Iā€™d love to have Branch too.

If we somehow got one of those two CBā€™s at 6 and Branch at 18 Iā€™d be ecstatic.

6 Likes

Im calling him Daywalker from now on. Book it.

3 Likes

Hereā€™s the snippet on scheme fit

Fit with Lions:

Weā€™ll start off with this, the Lions run a lot more man coverage than Oregon did. Thatā€™s not to say Oregon didnā€™t run it, but the Lions ran it every other snap, whereas Oregon was more like every fourth. However, Gonzalez showed a very high capacity in man coverage, which is important.

As far as our mold is concerned, Gonzalez fits very, very well. Heā€™s excellent in man coverage, and highly athletic. As mentioned a vast majority of the cornerbacks Brad Holmes have targeted have come in at an 8.8 RAS score or higher. I definitely believe that Gonzalez is going to be in that range. Heā€™s a freaky athlete.

As far as his fit in the Lions scheme goes, heā€™s an outside cornerback for sure. Now, as mentioned, itā€™d be a scheme change for him, so I think the Lions bringing him along a little slower is worthwhile, as itā€™s also important to point out that Gonzalez has only been playing cornerback for three seasons. His instincts still arenā€™t terribly natural there, but heā€™s grown a ton in that area.

With the mold, heā€™s a very good fit, as heā€™s big, fast, and can play in coverage. I donā€™t think heā€™s built to handle the slot terribly well, but heā€™s shown he can follow receivers into the slot and still win reps there, so itā€™s something you can consider. Realistically though, Gonzalezā€™s addition likely pushes Jerry Jacobs into the slot if acquired.

Branch is almost built in a lab to be a Detroit Lion. Even his physical limitations just add to the chip on his shoulder and make him an even better fit for what Dan is looking for. I am so convinced that Brian Branch is what we need and who we are that I am willing to plot our entire draft strategy around landing him. Heā€™s not a world beater. But he adds to a winning equation.

1 Like