Colt brennen dead

Sad - I read this as I’m sitting in my NA meeting and so thankful Gods given me this way out of addition!!

11 Likes

Very sad… sorry to hear this. And I’m glad you’ve found your way! Stay strong dude!

5 Likes

18 years strong by the grace of God brother!!

11 Likes

Damn man good for you!!! That is awesome to hear! All the best to ya brother

2 Likes

Mega empathy damn. 11 year fight finally over. R.I.P.

1 Like

I am waiting intently to see what information comes out on this death and the circumstances.

Why? Think someone might get charged?

There are 2 main possibilities. Accidental OD. Purposeful OD. Difference doesn’t matter to me. Guy was in a lot of pain. Think he’s in a better place

High 5s!! I’ve got 18 years in AA and counting.

8 Likes

You know - per the story written- the rehabs center he went to and they subsequently turned him away habe to feel like shit as he OD the same night

1 Like

Read the article, it says he tried to get into a rehab center but they didn’t have any beds and he ingested something laced with Fentanyl.

It kind of highlights how poorly the US has done with trying to help the mentally ill.

3 Likes

Poor kid was never the same after a car accident in 2010, when he suffered a traumatic brain injury. In an interview a few years after the crash, he said he was “still a different person,” and had turned to drugs to cope.

The system failed him.

2 Likes

Along with so many others, sadly.

Hard to believe that he was only 37. It feels like a lifetime ago when he was breaking college records.

1 Like

Take a look at the complete dismantling of the state mental health facility system after One Who Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest came out ( book, then movie)

Not coincidental.

You’re telling me that couldn’t have been reformed instead of nuked?

Hmm…

2 Likes

TBIs are no joke. People can become incredibly erratic/violent/depressive/angry etc you name it. It does change who you are in many many cases

3 Likes

And, keeping the focus on the affliction part, many in the recovery world pounded the table about how bad the pandemic lock down “would” be last April… that those is any recovery program must! Engage with other addicts in recovery to stay healthy and clean or sober. My group took up the motto “faith or fear baby”!! And stayed open thru it all… everyday for the last 32 years it’s stayed open.

Last report from CDC itself stated an increase of 27%! Is overdoses this last year - over 90,000 in the last year or so.

And relating directly to Colt, many new addicts couldn’t get into rehab centers they were forced to not take new people due to the pandemic… creating a surplus of people and not enough beds… as the system - the process - was stopped…

Now we are seeing this all over today - rehabs can’t keep up with the requests for help that built up over the last year…

We mention so many at our meeting who dies in the streets while waiting for a bed and help - the US failed on this front miserably imho

2 Likes

Yep I have a friend who was the high school homecoming queen and sweet as anything, then she got hit on her moped and cracked her skull pretty good (no helmet, law wasn’t around then) and she’s now bipolar, needs meds to function properly etc.

I teach the motorcycle safety foundation class: I tell folks we are given free will to choose… and choosing to wear a helmet is the smart choice period!

I hadn’t thought about this angle. Good point.

3 Likes

Yep - it violates the first tradition completely if you know recovery…

No one can do it alone and we were told to do just that?! And, here in the OKC area many recovery groups failed and closed their fires as well - since groups are self supporting and no one was there daily or weekly to give, the cash stopped, rent couldn’t be paid and boom that group is shit down…

Sad