Cominsky, Analzone, and Buggs

Special team snaps and tackles don’t count toward your total defensive snaps or tackles. That is you again trying to skew the numbers.

However 47/349= .13467 x 1080 = 145.44 that is Barnes tackle rate time Anzalone snaps/ opportunities

125/1080 = .1157 x 349 = 40 that is what Anzalone would have done with Barnes’s snaps.

2 Likes

@Cap …. Bud you’re too emotionally and personally invested that it’s clogging your judgment.

I am wondering if this is Kylie… is that you Kylie?

I will say this. You’re partially right. He’s playing well enough at times to deserve more playing time and the team could find ways to get him more involved. There’s things about Barnes game that he does very well. He could and should be part of a roll package.

I like Barnes a lot and I think he will grow into a starting caliber LBer but he’s not a 3 down LBer…. He’s just not and he has things to work on. Sure more staps gives him more opportunities to work on those things…. But you have to earn every snap too.

I like Barnes because he’s a good kid, loves to play the game and has plenty of range. I like LBers with range. I think range is important if you want to be a 3 down LBer.

But Barnes was really bad vS Philly early in the season. He took bad angles and made a lot of mistakes in the passing game. If you talk to Barnes he will tell you he was struggling with confidence issues and that staff has been very supportive. As a result his play has been improving but even in that good GB game he struggled with the pass. Giving up 3 big plays in the air.

Barnes deserves more snaps as a roll player where he can line up in a stack formation and be responsible for a gap. But when playing off ball he’s a liability at times. Until he improves on that he’s going to continue to get fewer snaps. That’s the truth of it.

Peace!

5 Likes

This is from the player who practiced against Houston:

Offensive tackles Taylor Decker and Penei Sewell spent 11 weeks going against Houston during practice while he was on the practice squad show team. Talking with both Decker and Sewell about Houston this week, neither is surprised by his debut performance.

“I remember asking (offensive line coach) Hank (Fraley) a month ago, ‘Why isn’t this guy playing?’ Because there would be a couple times here and there where he’d beat me and it’s not like one of those where I’m taking the play off or made a mistake, he really got me,” Decker said.strong text

Quite a different story than what you are putting out there. Looks like my story is much closer to the TRUTH, which many of you on this board have trouble.

Just like Houston’s success was no fluke, neither was Barnes’s success in the Greenbay game. They both just need opportunity.

2 Likes

That article was written on Dec.1 after his 2 sack debut game. The article also says that it was clear that the game was moving too fast for Houston in training camp deapite beating Decker from time to time. Decker asked one month before this article, so Nov.1-ish, “why Houston wasn’t playing”, it wasn’t written in the preseason.

Also from the article:
Houston also gave Sewell a lot of looks on the scout team.

“Everybody knew what he was capable of,” Sewell said of Houston. “I just saw him grow. You could see when he was first coming in that everything was moving at a different speed. As time goes on, and I’m asking for his best out on the scout team, and he’s asking for mine, once you do that, now we’re just competing. Then once you step out on that field on gamedays it’s almost the same speed, if not slower.”

Decker and Sewell are big fans of Houston, but defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn reminded the media Thursday that Houston still has a long way to go.

“Thing is, we know that he’s a good pass rusher,” Glenn said. "There’s a lot of other things that go into it to be a good football player. Here’s the deal – and I know you guys are putting him out to be the next Lawrence Taylor, I got it, but man, this player has skill.

“He still has a ways to go, and we’re going to make sure we protect him from himself and from all this everybody out there just trying to do all the hype right now. And that’s our job is to make sure we give him the best chance to be the best football player he can be, and that’s what we’re going to do.”

Clearly, Houston wasn’t ready to start the season. It wasn’t until after halfway through the season that he was forced into playing that he did so well. Even after his debut success, the coaches knew that other than rushing the passer, he wasn’t a complete DE and they were still working with him.

I remember that they even had to simplify things for Houston despite his being a really smart kid.

2 Likes

@cap, love ya bud! But notice how there are no quotes like that about Barnes in practice. Houston was killing it on scout team, and the starting tackles took notice. And holy shit, he’s good.

But, Barnes plays a much more complicated position. Houston’s job this year was just be an edge pass rusher flying off the edge. Barnes plays a position where he needs to be able to fill gaps, read defenses, call plays, adjust on the fly to audibles, and drop into coverage. There is really no comparison. Anyone who has played football at a decent level will understand what I’m saying. I played 5 years of linebacker in college, I get what Barnes is going through, I’ve been there.

5 Likes

“Derrick Barnes is coming, and that’s a real thing,” Sheppard said. “That player is a very explosive, very violent, very strong linebacker.”

I guess this quote from Barnes’s linebacker coach doesn’t count???

You better know what you are talking about when you are debating with me.

I will say that most of the quotes coming out of minicamp concern the rookies, here is a quote about Barnes’s rookie mini camp:

Surely the coaching staff would like to develop the rookie further and not rush him on the field on Sundays, but it is hard to contain the excitement Barnes brings with his hard hits and superior athleticism. With how murky the inside linebacker depth is behind Jamie Collins Sr. and Alex Anzalone, Barnes is head and shoulders above the rest and shows he belong on the field.

1 Like

@cap - You always come across as someone who knows everything brother. I appreciate you man and your love for Barnes. But the truth is none of us no shit. We are fans on a message board. I’m right a lot, but I’m also wrong a lot about the Lions. Maybe I’m 60/40 at best. But I will always admit when I’m wrong and was off base.

Your desire to never be wrong is highly conflicting your ability to be rationale about Barnes. He’s a physically talented kid with potential, that has a lot of issues in coverage.

I’m a Barnes fan, many of us are brother, we are all cheering for the dude to improve. Self reflection is important brother, we are wrong all the time as fans and in life. The key is to learn from it and accept it IMO.

5 Likes

1 Like

I support my arguments with stats and articles from, reporters who follow the Lions and I get accused of being a know it all. Maybe I am just resourceful enough to back my arguments.

You have no basis for the claim /accusation you mount against me just your flapping jaws. Everybody has a desire to be right that is just human nature, however, generally I back my points on this forum, I challenge you to show me a time I could not support my position. You may not agree with me, but there is evidence that I have posted supporting my positions.

It is amazing to me the high standards that are placed on Barnes on this forum, yet Anzalone gets a pass. That is the same with the Lions coaching staff. If you look at Anzalone through the glasses of the standards placed on Barnes Anzalone would not fare well.

1 Like

What do you get from coming on here and arguing about Barnes all the time
It’s a tremendous waste of time

4 Likes

Rookie minicamp???

Really???

1 Like

You are obviously not following the posts, that was in response to Stephenboyd’s comment about nobody talking about Barnes like they are talking about Houston.

1 Like

We are all wasting time, however I am a fan of Barnes for good reason and the misconception about him stick in my crawl, so I defend them. He deserves every positive post I make about him. He is a very good guy in general. Check out the Under the Helmet on Barnes and you will see what I am talking about.

Be Blessed Bro

If you bring Analzone back, it better be on a contract that is easy to get out of after a year as I only see him as a back up quality player forced into a starting job. I could see using him as a bridge to day 1-2 draft pick that would hopefully take his job by later in the season or at worst, next season.

I’d love to end up with LB Drew Sanders. Led Arkansas with 103 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 3 FF, 1 INT. 1st team All-American.

4 Likes

Speaking of Anzalone, am I the only one that thought he showed solid improvement from the previous year?

I thought he stunk two seasons ago. This year I though he had some solid moments

Barnes really stunk the first half of this year, he also seemed to show some solid improvement in back half of the season

7 Likes

Good looking player! Got some length, short area burst, can run, makes effort plays, can win rushing in a variety of ways. Couldn’t go wrong adding him to the team!

2 Likes

From what I see, you are the one that starts this whole thing about Barnes and Anzalone…every chance you get. It likes you can’t let it go, you can’t trust the coaches and their process. You think that a 4th round pick that got bounced between positions at Purdue should just get playing time because you know him and he’s a good kid. You are so possessed with this whole thing against Anzalone and MCDC and AG, it really seems like it’s to an unhealthy level for you. Why come on a Lions board constantly crying about this? What are you achieving, what are you hoping to accomplish?

1 Like

wiz khalifa conan obrien GIF by Team Coco

2 Likes

By definition a forum is a meeting place where ideas, thoughts, and views about particular issues are exchanged. I’m exchanging my thoughts with other on this forum.

2 Likes

I wasn’t asking what the definition of a forum is, I’m asking what your objective is?..what are you trying to accomplish by coming here and repeatedly stating over and over and over this whole conspiracy theory against every Detroit Lions coach and how they are holding your boy Barnes back?
Why do this repeatedly, over and over and over?
Are you hoping that we all get into your headspace and revolt against the Lions because of one player?
Are you hoping to make everyone hate MCDC and AG?
Are you hoping that MCDC will read your posts and realizes that he’s making a big mistake by not playing Barnes?
Like I said, you don’t seem to be in a healthy place on this topic. Enjoy the forum, get involved in other conversations (without turning this into another Barnes, MCDC rant).

4 Likes