Commanders still set for second interview with Aaron Glenn Tuesday

According to multiple reports, members of the Commanders organization were in the air on their way to Detroit Tuesday when they got word that Lions offensive coordinator Ben Johnson would not be going through with a second interview for the team’s head coaching position.

The plane did not turn around to return to Washington, however. Per those reports, the Commanders are still set to interview Lions defensive coordinator Aaron Glenn for a second time.

I’d gladly take the comp picks.

3 Likes

Please baby Jesus get the job. We can upgrade the DC spot easy. Comp picks would be huge

2 Likes

That would be the ultimate slap in the face for AG and become a PR hornets’ nest for the Commanders, if they did not interview AG. Rooney rule advocates would have a bonfire roast with that.

3 Likes

I think AG is every bit as good of a bet as a HC as Ben is. Gonna be able to put together an awesome staff and an elite leader.

4 Likes

You think?
His players love him.

2 Likes

Glenn will be a good head coach. Hope they hire him.

If Glenn leaves it clearly would mess with the continuity we’ve had for the past three years, but I think John Fox replaces Glenn a lot easier than Tanner would’ve replaced Ben.

1 Like

I think it would be Shep with Fox as his mentor.

7 Likes

I do. Players may love him, but it didn’t show results on the field

I think he would make a better head coach than Ben. Part of my problem when viewing AG in that capacity is that I compare him to Dan, and that’s unfair to AG. Watching Dan conduct a presser and then AG will do that to you.

2 Likes

I really wonder how much the race-based comp pick stuff influences this board’s excitement for AG to get hired as a head coach.

I think some people’s love of beans is trumping their judgement on Glenn’s actual effectiveness as a DC.

7 Likes

There is a little bit of that but a lot is just that many people have made up their minds that he’s the problem with the defense.

1 Like

I thought Glenn grew lot as a DC this year.

It’s actually the offense that I think underperformed.

1 Like

Ben taking heat for how he handled it.

Ben Johnson Taking Heat For ‘Unprofessional’ Move With Commanders (msn.com)

I get that they are flying out to see him and he doesn’t even want to do the interview.

At the same time should he sit there with them for 4-8 hours knowing he has no intention of taking it? Seems like a waste of their time too.

At least they were planning to interview AG anyway.

1 Like

Jimmy’s and Joe’s….

or X’s and O’s???

We have to be realistic in the salary allocation and even draft capital between the offense and defense.

How many Lions defenders would be considered upper tier players at this stage in their careers?

We started an outside CB in the NFC chip game that was on his couch until December.

A starting DT was picked up off waivers…
and is nearly 37 years old.

Also had significant injuries thoughout the season.

Yeah. How many Lions teams do you remember that completely shut down the run and were the #2 run defense in the league? Making a team one dimensional is a big part of the reason this team won so much. Imagine if they had actual corners who could minimize the passing damage. Careful what you wish for.

6 Likes

That will make him more popular with the Eagles, Giants or Cowboys when those open up next year, amirite?

This is like, the best news ever. A genius OC who is socially retarded means we keep him forever.

2 Likes

I think it’s a fantastic and legitimately earned opportunity for Aaron Glenn IF he wants the job under their terms. I will be the first to admit that halfway through the season I was entertaining the idea of a pump and dump stock style PR campaign to get Glenn out the door. However…

The back half of the season and the playoffs was a complete difference. Glenn legitimately called game winning defenses week after week like his hair was on fire. The lack of results was solely on lack of execution. Those guys were in position to make the play, you can’t ask for more than that, and yes, it wasn’t “perfect”, but it was high echelon NFL caliber.

I really do believe he has an even better acumen for Head Coach. He’s definitely got the Jimmy’s and Joe’s down. I think he has what it takes, and I’d rather see that opportunity come with an AFC team. At this point, I’m putting even odds on a hypothetical replacement being able to do what he did in the past few weeks.

4 Likes

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Ouija Board Horror GIF by Shudder

59fda-monteclarkpraying_display_image