Conflicted Dan Campbell won't name Detroit Lions play caller: 'Eagerness to call it myself'

This has been an issue I’ve pointed out with Campbell before. Why name Johnson OC if you had not intentions or confused about him calling plays? This looks bad imo or maybe I’m just looking too much into it. Maybe this is something Sean Payton did in NO although I don’t recall.

Dan needs to manage the team! I have no problem with him calling plays but not naming the OC seems high-schoolish and shows his inexperience.

If Campbell is calling plays and the offense is failing it will be added pressure on him.

2 Likes

Much a do over nothing.

8 Likes

This is being competitive. Watch him grin when asked the question. He knows the answer but is not gonna give it up to the opponent.

Dan knows how the game play calling will play-out on Sunday. This is to make the Eagles work (a little more). They can recall the teams games from last season to game plan for Dan’s play calling. But with Ben…the Eagles have zero idea what to prepare for.

Competitive advantage…even if it’s a small one.

IMO, Ben is gonna call the plays like he has all training camp. But Dan wants the Eagles to spend time preparing for the possibility of Dan and his past tendencies.

10 Likes

Word. Nobody in the squad or offices cares. Anyone dramatizing it is merely entertaining their own thoughts…for themselves.

2 Likes

Absolutely. This is one where you have to watch him talk about it and not just read the words.

3 Likes

Plus, he has always been about protecting his staff and being the point of criticism. This concern is really not an issue.

3 Likes

Andy Reid always called his own plays but also had an offensive coordinator right? I’m sure there are plenty of coaches who have done it. A lot more goes into the OC role than just calling plays.

Heck maybe they’ll both call plays.

2 Likes

Yup - nothing to “worry” about. NOBODY on that coaching staff or in that locker room is worried about it.

2 Likes

He’s just having fun with the media. Ben is calling the plays.

7 Likes

Yeah, he was having fun, you can feel that he is excited to get this season started.

2 Likes

Just had a chance to watch the interview from today… man if there’s one big takeaway is he’s pumped to get going! That or maybe he just had too much coffee this morning…

Either way, you know what I thought was interesting and maybe a curveball, not about the playcalling… but when they asked about using last year’s loss as motivation and how he said something to the affect of “I fully expect them to come out and challenge us at the exact same stuff as they did last year. Sure there will be some tweaks but I expect them to try to do the same things they did to us last year.” Hmmm… a little channeling so they won’t do the same thing but then they never expected the same thing either??? That’s the segment I got the most potential 3D chess from.

I’m very excited and you can tell he is as well. The comment about the team being in the meeting 3 minutes ahead of time and focused, DC is obviously the lead dog and they are ready to go.

It’s still going to be a tough game Sunday and the eagles are good… but I expect a better game than last year even if we don’t win.

3 Likes

I’ll bet MCDC and BenJ both carry play all I g sheets… I do not doubt that MCDC would like to call, but I think they’ll work together collaboratively quite well.

3 Likes

I thought Campbell did a good job calling plays last year, no?

3 Likes

Did a heck of a lot better than Lynn

3 Likes

Its brilliant: eagles need to prepare for both of the possibilities as play caller.

1 Like

Dan wants control on fourth downs.

2 Likes

I forget which coach, either on the Lions (Schwartz maybe?) or some other team, but the OC called the play and only in the event the HC wanted it changed would he chime into the mic. So it was more or a 90/10 situation. Thinking about it now though, every coach probably has that option.

Now sure how that would work with the green dot rules. Maybe the OC said it to the HC and HC was green dot and called it in if he approved. Seems like a waste of clock management.

Okay so basically I threw that out there and am now second guessing everything I said but I know the first part is true on HC being able to somehow change the play the OC called.

3 Likes

Too bad for him…FOX has control on 4th downs!

2 Likes

Yeah, but Dan decides when he throws the TDs.

1 Like

I appreciate you liking my complete indecisiveness and lack of information on the matter lol.

1 Like