Corner and Okudah's 5th Year Team Option

AMEN!

1 Like

Totally agree. They are just a reference point in a sea of many data points. But when your eyes tell you a guy is playing awful, the coaches bench said player, and PFF grades said player as the worst on the team - it’s a worthy mention in the conversation I believe.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree one bit that Okudah struggled mighily down the stretch. As you mentioned the PFF grades matched up with the eye test.

PFF was very low on Buggs and even Cominsky for most of the year because they didn’t make a ton of impact plays, especially early on. They weren’t supposed to be making those plays though, they were setting up others to do that.

So is this you finally admitting you’re wrong and we don’t have a talented roster on defense for AG to work with.

1 Like

It’s impressive how big of a man crush you have on AG.

My point exactly thank you!

He provided a bigger impact than I thought he would to be honest. But NO….I would not expect him to be better next year. Achilles injuries tend to be problematic and issues linger. I think what we see is what we’re going to get from Okudah. I expect more of the same and I don’t think you can count on him to play at a level worthy of 11mil…

You do have legitimate concerns and I understand where your coming from. I just have more faith in him as a player and expect him to take that next step.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s fair to try a pull an argument in from another thread and miss quote me on a lengthy debate but I’ll take a moment to state my stance once again. I have not wavered on this stance.

The Lions defense has been statistically the worst defense in the NFL since AG took over as DC.

I do NOT think our defensive roster is the worst in the NFL. I have freely admitted many times that our defensive roster needs more talent across the board.

A defense playing as badly as ours is a reflection on our DC. I feel AG is in over his head and the data supports that belief. I also think Dan C. will not move on from AG because they’re good friends. So…. I believe Dan really needs to get AG a lot of help on both the coaching side and the talent side if AG is to have any chance of getting our defense to a mediocre level.

Personally I hope we draft defense heavy this year.

3 Likes

With all the young players he had to deal with I agree. Getting a solid defensive roster might have made him respectful last year, we’ll never know. Now next year, if we draft heavy defense, and with the base we have, being in the system for a couple years, and the struggles continue then he should follow the path of Anthony Lynn and Aubrey Pleasant. Dan has show he can make tough decisions midseason.

By the way you have to take into account he had Okudah and Oruwariye as part of his DBs which you have stated are not very good. Then there is Harris, who many rag on. Couple that with losing Tracy Walker and not having Jacobs most of the year. none of that is his fault. I trust Dan as he sees first hand the work his coaches are doing to make the right decision.

Maybe some prayers get answered and another team makes him a head coach.

1 Like

Fox

I think we can all agree the Lions need upgrades in the back 7 and DT. I’d like to see more speed and ball hawk players that can tackle in the back.

In no particular order. Get the best defensive football player with the first 3 of the 4 picks.

No question they should pick it up. We have no replacement for him, nor are we likely to get one. Maybe we sign a free agent but the free agent pool isn’t stacked this year. Jones is the guy who probably looks the best if you ask me, but he’s from New England. Patricia and Quin have ruined my faith in ex Pats in Detroit. Possibly Bradbury who would be an upgrade but will have half or more of the league calling. And Peters who I’m not sure is that big of an upgrade. Drafting is the more likely option but the a rookie being able to play CB1 right out of the gate is rare and likely a harsher learning curve.

Makes more sense to draft smart, start Okudah and Jacobs let the rookie earn his way up. When or if he takes Okudahs job so be it. But come start of the season I think Okudah has to be the starter and even more than that, he is likely either a starter or cb2/3 the following year. And honestly even at 11 mil in 2024 thats not a terrible bargain for a decent corner.

Defensive spotlight: Cornerback Jeffrey Okudah has done all he can this season to shake the bust label that followed him his first two seasons with the Lions. Against the Jaguars he was targeted seven times and allowed only two catches for nine yards. Over his past three games, Okudah has allowed a grand total of 26 yards into his coverage

Also,if you take out the Seattle game where DK Metcalf beat him deep a couple times, he allowed 165 yards over 6 of the first 7 games for an average of 27.5 yards per game given up. He allowed zero TD’s during that span, even including the Seattle game. Hell he only gave up two TD all season.

He had his hiccups for sure, he allowed over 100 yards receiving against Seattle, Green Bay, and the Jets. Overall he played very solid football coming off that achilles in what essentially amounts to a rookie year from an experience standoint.

1 Like

That’s where I’m at.

1 Like

Just watching a little bit of Baldy talking about Sauce, he used a term that we often hear; “he plants that foot and breaks on the ball”. I mention that because one of the troubling things I’ve seen with Okudah toward the 2nd half of the season is him not “planting that foot”. Like when he’s taken on a deep comeback or curl, instead of stopping in an instant and breaking on the ball, he overruns and swings around. I’m not sure what’s going on there, whether it’s related to injury or not. I also feel like the responses from Brad and Dan have been on the cool side.

Hopefully we can add a DB coach that brings some stability there.

I believe that an NFL starting corner is worth 11M for ONE year. The NFL has changed the rules to help the WRs. So, if a corner is deemed a starter, whether #1 or #2, is worth the pay. Now, if Okudah continues his downward trajectory, he won’t be worthy of a contract at all.

So, I’d bring back Jefe for one additional season at 11M. It would allow us to draft another CB who can grow into the position. Besides, our NB were terribly torched all season. That’s where I’d start to find an immediate replacement.

So Okudah year 5 is an 11M cost… I’d pay it. If he studs out mid way though the year I’d extend him.

He turned 24 five minutes ago…. I’m not interest in throwing 2 darts are CB in the draft and signing a vet to avoid paying a few bucks.

1 Like

@coyote12 posted this an hour ago.

1 Like

I think Okuxah is trending upward. Glad to have him on board…it’s like his “show us your worth” year.

2 Likes

I agree but beware that Air has spoken LOL 11 million next year is going to be cheap even if he ends up being the #4 CB on the roster, * think last season was really only his first full season an he will improve.

But what do we know when Air has already decided based on what safety coverage . That is done for many many CB’s

Are the safeties just to stand back there in secondary an rub to where the QB pass the ball or maybe should they aid depending on team to take away lets say Jefferson Vikes which he did the first meeting.

I stop my rant Air has spoken not Holmes .