Could Bears pull this off?

https://x.com/nfldraft/status/1757064717577658788?s=46&t=XNaCYqjbnQMZs3PB8Kzlfg

Bears trade 9th overall and Justin Fields to the Pats for pick 3, end up with Caleb Williams and Marvin Harrison Jr. at 1 and 3.

Now, I’m not sold on Williams and think he’s overrated but … this doesn’t exactly make me feel awesome and it sounds doable for Chicago.

I really don’t think they are sold on Fields. I could see him being traded before the draft. In fact I think it’s more likely than not.

Otherwise it’s do or die win now for the coach and GM. Trading Fields and drafting a top rookie. Buys them extra time.

The defense is pretty good. Find an accurate QB and they could be good.

3 Likes

The double dip of Caleb Williams and Marvin Jr has been brought up since the last draft. The Cardinals were thought to be able to pull it off, until the Texans ruined the party by being so good.

I think it is a really good pairing. And not just because they are the top prospects at their positions. I think Caleb’s off schedule playmaking style would make Marvin Jr extra hard to deal with.

2 Likes

If they want to draft Williams, I wouldn’t love it. But if they do that AND get rid of Fields, I don’t care. Caleb isn’t ready to step in game 1 as a rookie. So it’ll be Fields all over again. Talented but in a shitty situation.

It feels unlikely that a brand new regime is going to take their first (and possibly only) swing at a QB on Justin Fields when they’re in prime position to take a rookie.

4 Likes

I think they keep Fields, trade down a few spots, take MH Jr. with their first of many picks that they accumulate with the trade down.

2 Likes

I hope they make that trade. Fields is a pain for us an the new QB who ever it is we will deal with with are pass rush an improved secondary.

1 Like

My WAG is if I’m the leadership for the bears in some weird nightmare … I’m sticking with fields and building around him and in such a way that the new QB will be ok

Whether Caleb Williams is a head case or not. He’s definitely a premier talent and draft prospect. If the Colts traded away Peyton Manning. The Bears moving on from Fields should be far easier in comparison. Even if Caleb doesn’t live up to the hype. Fields has 40 TDs and 30 INTs in 3 years. Hard to imagine Caleb would be worse.

I think the Pats would take Daniels or JJ over Fields. JJ is going to launch up draft boards and we all know QBs get over drafted.

That’s a horrid comparison. The Colts moved on from Peyton(released, not traded) because of a horrible injury they knew would possibly cut his career short and they were in position to take a “can’t miss” guy in Andrew Luck. Plus, Peyton was making a s*** ton of money, Fields isn’t. Not a great comparison.

1 Like

Peyton Manning continued to play at a elite level. Fields is teetering on bust level. The notion that it is less risky to keep Fields is false in my opinion. And Caleb is on the same category as Luck inregards to talent and production. I get people dont like Caleb Williams the person. However, Caleb the QB is as talented as we’ve seen.

Sorry but putting Fields anywhere near Manning territory is absurd.

The comparison is still crap. The Colts knew Manning’s injury situation so clearly they released him instead of trading him. Obviously, Manning had some good years(with elite talent around him, lets not hide that fact), but he fell off a cliff to the point where Denver benched him. Plus the contract.

I do not think any scout/GM, anyone sees Williams on the same tier as Luck. These are just apples and oranges comparisons. I think they’d move on from Fields as well, but just wanted to chime in the situations/comparisons are … no bueno.

I’d trade Justin for picks, and draft a new QB, IMO-Justin is ok but not yet a big QB I haven’t looked at the new crop of QB’s, but yet I think they can land a solid QB, and draft a defensive player with the JF pick , or go CB, or WR …they do well to pull the trigger I think. just enhance your team .

Manning was a free agent. I misspoke there. But be real he won a MVP as a Bronco. Downplaying Manning is a big push. Yes his final year in the league he finally lost his ability and won a ring due to Denvers defense.

Also, I never said the situations were the same. I said moving on from a QB like Fields for a elite prospect should be easier then when Colts had this scenerio. Having a QB yet in position to possibly upgrade. And as good as Luck was he was never Manning level good in my opinion.

And yes Williams is in that tier. We’ve been talking about this guy being a top pick for 2 plus years now. The talent is undeniable. The Bears would be foolish to pass on him and do what the Niners did. Pick Alex Smith over Aronn Rodgers because they liked Smiths “personality” more.

Again people pick selective facts to make there point . The facts you showed are bad I agree however you maybe by mistake took away his yards running the ball?
Now how many yards an first downs will there next QB get?
Also we all know how why just 3 years ago Goff in his first year with little talent* (check the Bears) but with a lot more experience than Fields only won 3 games an then last season 9 when they got more talent.

I am not a Fields fan an would be happy to see him moved to another team. But your facts are selective.

Not selective. He’s not a good QB. He’s a hell of an athlete and he could get better. I didn’t add his rushing stats because we all know he is exceptional at that. What some don’t realize though due to the “Fields excuse factory” is how very unimpressive he has been as a passer. I highly doubt your average fan knows his numbers are that bad.

I’m going to say that the Patriots aren’t going to go for Fields. Inertia is a powerful mechanism and Fields doesn’t fit the requirements. Can you ever imagine Brady sounding off to the media that he doesn’t like the playcalling, so he’s just going to do his own thing? :thinking:

Justified or not, I find it doubtful to the extreme that the Patriots want to kick off their first non-Belichick season in decades with Fields as the face of the franchise.

Fields ends up at Pittsburgh. They have a top defense and hes upgrade over Pickett.

Makes Pittsburgh a threat in the afc

1 Like

Well that proves you read the rumors LOL