Curious what you guys think of Sam Howell

Which is another huge reason I don’t want to take one. When you draft a rookie QB, he needs to start. There’s no better advantage to be had than a QB on a rookie contract, it allows you to utterly stack the rest of your roster. Aside from Brady and Manning, all the Super Bowls have been won by teams with QBs on rookie contracts (even though Wentz got hurt, his cheap rookie contract allowed them to stack the rest of their roster… including spending decently on backup QB Foles).

His Dad, a man who really understands a three hour tour, is a member of the New England Yankeeelite — a resident of Newport, Rhode Island, a graduate of Harvard University and a Republican. He is a member of the Newport Country Club, Oyster Bay Yacht Club, and the Union League Club where he has a “window seat”.

1 Like

My mistake. I thought you were referring to the Lion’s offensive line if they were to take him.

I agree I would rather we pass this season

I don’t want to draft his Dad either Watch’s your Point?

You know you’re showing your age. Many on here might not get the reference Lovie!!

1 Like

We need two to pair with Brown.
[/quote]
We have one in Cephus we need to add one more top quality .
You doubt Cephus the stats say he was one that helped open O attack until he was hurt.
Then we really sucked till Reynolds was picked up an the Air attack returned even without Hock an Cephus.

We need one more top end to join the 3 if we sign Reynolds.

Then one later to develop I like one like Jaivon Heiligh*, WR, Coastal Carolina
Height: 6-0. Weight: 187.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.

1 Like

If I squint, Lovie looks almost hot there.

Disturbingly, Ginger turns 88 in a month.

2 Likes

We have one in Cephus we need to add one more top quality .
You doubt Cephus the stats say he was one that helped open O attack until he was hurt.
Then we really sucked till Reynolds was picked up an the Air attack returned even without Hock an Cephus.

We need one more top end to join the 3 if we sign Reynolds.

Then one later to develop I like one like Jaivon Heiligh*, WR, Coastal Carolina
Height: 6-0. Weight: 187.
Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
[/quote]

I like Cephus. Do a search and you’ll see I was one of the few on the Cephus wagon long before we drafted him but I also understand that he’s missed 12 games in two seasons and has yet to put up more than 350 yards in a single season. You can’t count on him. At this point he’s a roll player until he proves otherwise.

As for Reynolds no one banged the table for the Lions to sign him more than myself. I will be the first to tell you he is a quality back-up not a starter. If your counting on him being a starter you will be disappointed.

I firmly believe the Lions need two WR’s capable of being starters.

2 Likes

This is the statement that I never under stand. I have never seen the benefit of start a rookie QB. Just because a teams wins with one on a rookie contract (5 years) does not mean it benefits them to start from day one. When i look at what I want for the Lions QB it starts with sitting his rookie year and learning the game speed from the sideline. I have many reasons why I follow this belief, but the examples are the easiest.

Who are generally considered to be the top QBs playing right now? My guess would be Brady, Rogers and Mahommes. What is the one thing they all have in common? Not a one of them had to start their rookie season. The thing is that even beyond them there are other examples of top QBS that started their career watching from the sideline.

On the other side more QBs that do start their rookie careers have shorter careers, less consistency as a top QB and less winning season. Sure it would be nice to get to and win a Superbowl in the short term. On the other hand I would prefer to have the Lions make multiple trips and I believe letting a rookie QB sit his first season and focusing on learning the NFL game increases those chances.

2 Likes

This begs the question Ginger or Mary Ann?

Mary Ann!

3 Likes

I also forgot to mention that I do like Howell and think that he might be the type of QB that Holmes and MCDC are looking for. Yes he needs development, but with Geoff here they would have over a year to get him ready to compete. I also have a feeling that putting him behind the Lions O-Line would be a huge upgrade over what he played behind in college.

It will be interesting to see how things go at the Senior Bowl.

Mary Ann was on Bonanza today, and Robert Vaughn played the bad guy.

I think most QBs would probably benefit from sitting, but if they’re so soft mentally they completely fall apart from struggling through a rookie season, I don’t think they would have panned out anyway.

But more importantly, it’s bad roster building process to sit rookie QBs. You mention Rodgers which worked great for the Packers (and back when there was no rookie salary cap, there weren’t as many advantages to having a QB on a rookie contract), but look at where they are now with Jordan Love. They have to decide this offseason whether they want to pick up his 5th year option and how can they do that? He’s scarcely played. Even if they move on from Rodgers in the offseason, they have to figure out what they think of Love in one season of starting. That’s bad process. They won’t get as lucky as they did with Rodgers.

Peyton Manning played his whole rookie season. Josh Allen. Joe Burrow. Kyler Murray. Stafford. Derek Carr. Roethlisberger. All of those guys are in the playoffs. Justin Herbert played most of it. And Brady was a 6th round draft pick, of course he didn’t start as a rookie.

I’m no scout, but just from a fan’s perspective, I’ve watched Howell multiple times on TV this year, and I’ve never been impressed.

He’s a good running QB, more in the mold of Josh Allen than Lamar Jackson. But throwing-wise? Never saw anything special or even significantly above-average. Just a guy.

At the very least there should be one, this is an NFL throw:

https://twitter.com/fowlerryan1/status/1476612751808245763?s=21

Ah yes. I’ve never been good at projecting QBs but Herbert was by far my biggest whiff. I wonder if the amount of times I saw him in person (often playing fairly meh clouded my thoughts). Or more likely I was working on the old paradigm in which the thought was QBs don’t suddenly become more accurate.

MaryAnne and it’s not even close. I might bend Gilligan over the hood of the palm tree golf cart before I chase Ginger around the island.

1 Like