Current Cap Table and Graph 2024-2030

I think we all know some restructuring is going to be done before 2026. Aside from that. The rest looks great!

Cap going up 6.5% year over year (last 15 year average).
Lions are currently (after june 1st) sitting just shy of $40m! Great work Lions!

1 Like

Ive said it before that i think this graph is skewed by multiple factors.

1. Covid

2. The international growth is finally taking off. Pushing the NFL on a global market brings in a lot more money. Which leads to:

3. Streaming competition. Both foreign and domestic. Everyone wants in on the NFL juggernaut. The money here will keep climbing exponentially for a while.

Hustling Damon Wayans GIF

I predict the cap doubles by 2030, 2032 at the latest. Which would put the cap in the 450-500mil range by the end of the decade. This is why i want to pay everyone who deserves it as soon as possible. Contracts are going to keep jumping every year. Get in early for savings but take on more risk for injury.

I think the growth rate might increase slightly. But not that dramatically.

Say 8% year over year vs 6.5.
This last jump finally got us back over the hump from covid.

2 Likes

Im predicting the cap growth rate will vary between 10-15% for the next 5 years based on current market analysis. I guess we will see who is correct.

US broadcast deals are already locked in until the early 2030s, and international broadcast deals are worth barely a fraction of the US deals. I expect the league will have budgeted for steady growth of the cap over the coming years, but I’d be surprised if it was more dramatic than it has been over the last 15 years.

3 Likes

They just started with cap money from big network deals this past increase. I was looking to be about 25 mil an went to 30.6 mil. Many estimate between 20 an 25 mill for 2025.

I would guess closer to 25 mil an like 30mil for 2026 Lions are in good shape an even these contracts have times when they can rework move salary to bonus.

1 Like

Cord-cutting fans will need to subscribe to all seven services to get access to the entire 2024 NFL slate, with a price tag about $1,600 based on last season’s pricing and Netflix’s current cheapest offering. That figure does not include the cost of an internet service necessary to run a streaming-only option. According to OpenVault, the average price Americans paid for internet service in 2022 was $64 a month. That will push the total outlay over $2,000 to cover the NFL’s regular season, playoffs and Super Bowl.

When we cancelled Directv several years ago we were paying over $225mo.
We currently have
Paramount+
Peacock
HBO/Max
Netflix
Acorn
Youtube tv
We don’t pay anywhere near what we were paying for Directv when we cancelled in 2015 or 2016 and went to youtube tv. Couple of the above are included in our cell package. Peacock costs me $40yr.

We also have Amazon but we subscribed to Amazon for products and the savings on shipping prior to streaming option. So not sure if that is included or not as we would be paying for it without the streaming option that is included in the cost.

If you include Amazon in the comparison to cutting the cord then you have to include all the shipping costs we save on products bought.

1 Like

It’s hard to include Amazon in that. I don’t even know if Prime Video existed when I began paying for a Prime membership.

If we’re not including Amazon, then I’m a fully-severed cord-cutter.

About same when I added Sunday ticket cost across full year on direct tv

Even now I haven’t canceled durectv because I’m not sure it’s much cheaper working around for everything I have included /

Sports package and movie channels for around $125

Netflix Is separate and so is Hulu Disney ESPN but through phone service bundle on those

I can’t figure out how cheap it should be for what I want

There’s just so much content

But I love watching football comfortably at home on TV

1 Like

Mark Cuban ten years ago. Was he wrong or just off a few years?:

“I think the NFL is 10 years away from an implosion,” Cuban said Sunday evening when his pregame conversation with reporters, which covered a broad range of topics, swayed toward football. “I’m just telling you: Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. And they’re getting hoggy.

“Just watch. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. When you try to take it too far, people turn the other way. I’m just telling you, when you’ve got a good thing and you get greedy, it always, always, always, always, always turns on you. That’s rule No. 1 of business.”

Cuban was specifically referring to the NFL’s recently expanding its television package. He considers it a poor business decision for the NFL, which consistently dominates TV ratings, to play games on days other than Sunday and Monday.

The NFL fan base is not like the NBA fan base.

While I get the NBA has a large global appeal, it also has a ton of competition. Every one runs BB leagues. While there is only 1 NFL. No one has it and no one can create one that is even close to the quality or appeal. So while I agree with Cubans theme I am not sure if it applied to the NFL like he thinks.

If needed I will start going to the local watering hole if needed to watch the NFL. Me loves football. I stopped watching the NBA because I did not love the product anymore.

The NFL fan base is rabid and I am just not sure there is anyway you would get people who are all in to ignore the game.

What is funny is I am moving away from the college game due to the all the recent changes. But I need my football fix.

1 Like

any way to show this against the league average?

Could be. At some point, you have saturation. But, I think equating the NFL to most businesses is flawed. The NFL operates largely from September to January. People are starved for more NFL in the summer months. So the saturation point is not quite the same with seasonal sports compared to 24 hour/365 day businesses.

1 Like

I could. Definitely take some time for me to put together.

1 Like

Cuban is just butthurt because the NFL is expanding to more days. Especially late in the season. Aka christmas day. Which is taking away from NBA ratings and hurting his bottom line.

I agree that there will be a point of diminishingly returns. But the nfl is alway going to squeeze every penny they can get

That was my point, for us we had Amazon prior to the video service.

1 Like

Cuban wrong?

Shock Omg GIF

I suspect if you had basic youtubetv pkg and ticket it would be cheaper than going to the local watering hole.

Well, it would be for me based on the beer I drink…

1 Like

Not the exact same chart.

Also note that void years are still considered active till the void hits and becomes dead cap.