Dan Campbell is what I've been wanting for a long time

He’s a good leader. I’ve said it from day one…he’s gonna need at least one excellent coordinator, as well as another good one.

Our OC feels like he’s falling way short, so far.
Our DC feels like he’s doing fantastic, given the middle school talent he’s working with.

Dan is like Caldwell, in that he’s a good communicator and mentor for these dudes that were teenagers less than 2 years ago. I think he will be able to get them back to inspired football. A break is gonna be good for them, but I think the Steelers punch us in the face hard.

The determining factor will be - can we reset after this horrific monstrosity of a season. Do we get a new OC? Fuck do I ever hate the idea of switching systems, especially on offense, every 3 years.

Men, we have a lot of problems (obviously). I think everyone is a contributor, but I think our rookie coach will learn, and I DO believe in him.

Let’s get some talent out here and see what it looks like.

Wesley made a post about our futility and how it impacts long-term psyche. Truth! Also, we have no hope once we get behind, because we have no playmakers, so our spirit can get squashed in a single game, once the deficit gets big enough.

Weez-man made a post about how we have no playmakers at any level of the D.
Completely agree w/that too.

I think there are a lot of factors at play. We need a talent that can change the game. Look at the difference in our team in games that Golliday played in vs the ones he didn’t, in his last year here. Completely different team.

We need help on many levels. I think Dan is the right guy.

Time will tell

22 Likes

I’m with you. At the end of the day it’s about having talented players. Getting a new QB should be the first thing we do. Goff isn’t a leader.

4 Likes

I want to build differently than you do.
I agree that Goff isn’t the leader.
I just wanna build the team before drafting a rook that just gets beaten up, especially if there’s not a good one available in this draft. Give me the pass rusher first. :wink:

11 Likes

I was with you at the beginning of the year.

The way they gave up against the Bengals and Eagles has me leaning the other way now. The guy admitted he got outcoached by Sirianni, who isn’t considered a great mind by any means. The team looks demoralized and we’re only 8 weeks in.

When we first hired him, I thought he was Marinell 2.0. The media coverage of the guy changed my mind a bit before the year and I thought maybe he could pull it off. I’m back to thinking he’s Marinelli 2.0.

3 Likes

I get it and I’m good with getting a young guy and letting him sit a year. But we need a leader ASAP!

2 Likes

I think the way the team responds after the bye week will say a lot about Campbell as a coach. The effort and intensity vs the Eagles was unacceptable. Losing is one thing, but the players quit yesterday. The Eagles were being nice to only score 44, it could have been much more.

Changing the QB might be a good idea though. When your captain and team leader is Goff, who clearly has no leadership qualities and throws the ball out of bounds on 4th down twice this year already, hard for the team to rally around him. If Campbell keeps playing Goff, he’s almost telling the team it’s okay to play terrible and there are no consequences for piss poor play.

2 Likes

with a weak QB, and weak WR unit, your not going to win many games.

2 Likes

I am not sure how much getting “out coached” had to do with it. I read a story from Philly that said the Oline went to their coach and pleaded with him to just keep calling running plays because they were pushing our Dline so much. So he said OK.
Dan made some bad calls, that’s on him not the other guy.
Now he is coaching from a position of weakness, and that could explain throwing caution to the wind. Nevertheless, ALWAYS take points into the locker room at halftime when you have the chance.

2 Likes

I don’t see us grabbing a QB in the upcoming draft…, too weak of a group.

Once we are officially eliminated, I would love to see Blough given a shot and see what he and the other guy have, while giving Goff and needed mental rest…

1 Like

I agree. I think Dan is the Man. I don’t Goff is the issue at all. I think starting WR’s that would probably be hard pressed to make a practice squad on most teams is the issue. Along with a depleted defense, Patience

2 Likes

This is true too. Hoping we get a couple on D and a home run WR threat
Lots of things impact the energy of the team

I say Coaches (not just one coach), but I completely agree. I’m not digging our OC at all, and I’m guessing the players don’t either.

Completely agree.

So hard wen it’s Blough/Goff. Gotta go with what has the best chance to win.
Interesting thought…Would Blough’s wife be an upgrade at WR right now?

1 Like

Not entirely shocked at the record so far. Just thought they would have better cohesion at this point.

That’s my main concern.

You’re a better prognosticator than me, bro. :wink:

I don’t think it’s Dan. I think it’s OC, QB, general lack of depth and talent, injuries, and above all…the psychological impact of losing so much.

So far this guy has been Verstunken!! You can make every excuse to cover for him but in the end he is the only winless coach in the NFL! On his way to 0 - 17!! Following the logic on the forum we can discus an extension for him then.

I can certainly see that stance.
I am not going to compare your stance to premature ejaculation, or mine to erectile dysfunction, as the truth is somewhere in the middle. She scream all day about “can’t evaluate players based on this situation.” IMO, same holds true with coaches.

In the last 2 years, we have lost our 8 or 10 best players and only have a handful of competent NFL starters on the roster.

…take out Ragnow, T-Deck, basically all the WRs, all the CBs, etc

Cupboard was bare before Golliday, Stafford, and Jones left.
Cupboard was extremely bare before the injuries.

It’s ugly, but IMO, we’re gonna have to be more patient than any Lions fan should ever be asked to be.

1 Like

Good post OP.

The Lions desperately need someone to come in and create an offense more like McVeigh has. It’s not rocket science, but it takes effort, and the right person.

Yes, a more dynamic QB and receivers are critical as well.

Anthony Lynn is a nice guy. He needs some help … we can’t have this same offense going into next year. In fact, they need to start the changes now to get where they need to be.

1 Like

If our OLine starts next year healthy, and having a full season together, it’s hard to imagine a rookie QB stepping into a better situation then the one we have, in regards to the OLine.
However, those WR’s need an overhaul.
As of now, I’m really leaning on taking Pickett, and both OSU WR’s with our first 3 picks. If available of course.
Would be perfectly fine with Thibs of course.

1 Like

I’d like a defensive stud with our first pick. Will be interesting to see how Pickett get evaluated. I’d like to get a stud wr in FA and the draft.

1 Like

BigNatty, great thread my man.

I believe in Campbell as well. However his 4th down decision yesterday was absolutely atrocious.

I still have faith in him, but to be fair it’s entirely a blind faith as we are winless.

Let’s continue to build this roster and then we will have a better idea about Campbell, Lynn, etc.

1 Like