Dan Campbell is what I've been wanting for a long time

Dan Campbell has heart and football smarts. He’s a great coach, by all accounts… except for certain “Fans”.
The guy inherited a dumpster fire. The Fords need to give him full 6 years. No matter how much the “Fans” scream.
There has been zero continuity here for 25 years.
If you think there’s a quick fix, I’ve got a get rich quick opportunity for you!
And look at this staff! I’ve been saying since Tom Moore left, we need a “Detroit” offense. I’m thinking we have that capability.
This entire team needs a chance to gel. This is just growing pains…and they’re far from over.

3 Likes

And Defense. If we pick on the O side of the ball, our D will be approximately where it is this year.

I do agree w/you on the O being a potentially solid place for a youngster to thrive.

I agree @BigNatty I think Campbell is the right man for this job. We are worse then an expansion team. We all knew it would be bad. Maybe not this bad but this is the teardown. We’ve gotta get thru it to get to the other side. Campbell is right we have to stay the course take our lumps this year. Our day is coming. It’s hard to see but stay the course, weather the storm and next year we should be building. Get our injured players back, nail the draft and spend in FA.

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond, my bro.

I’m hoping our bald guy is who I think he is.
I suspect the OC could get fired if things don’t drastically change fairly quickly.
Love the character of most of our leadership.

If this group doesn’t build a winner, I will be admitting that I was massively wrong, because this is pretty much exactly what I have wanted here… a “leader of men” type.

You’re so right, bro. WORSE than an expansion team because…
-Expansion team would have a better cap situation than we have.
-Expansion team would get extra picks
-Expansion team would get compensatory players from existing teams too, if memory serves me correctly (been awhile).

3 Likes

“Dan Campbell is what I’ve been wanting for a long time”

Too Good Lol GIF by The Steve Wilkos Show

1 Like

I was aware that plenty of dudes would feel this way.
Also, I get it…I have to admit that I was one of the last people to give up on Patricia.

1 Like

Nah, I was messing with ya on how homo it read. I was looking for a “that’s what HE said” gif but that’s what came up.
I said Campbell is a meathead after his knee cap biting speech but I do like him. I don’t think he’s lost the team either like some do, I just don’t think the team believes in themselves anymore.

1 Like

I think there’s a difference between being a good person, good leader and being a good coach.

A good coach doesn’t lose this many games….
Period!…. Campbell is making a lot of mistakes from roster building, to locker room building, to game management, game preparations etc.

I agree with this and that’s why I wanted us to trade down and take Mikah Parsons. I honestly think Parsons + extra picks would have helped us more than Sewell does. An impact LBer like Parsons would have had a drastic effect on this defense.

I have serious concerns that Dan is the right guy. MP and company won 5 games last year. The team is going in the wrong direction. Campbell hasn’t shown me anything yet to make me feel like he is the solution.

Unfortunately I fear we’ve made another bad hire.

1 Like

Meh, I heard this same shit with Rod Marinelli.

Meanwhile Robert Saleh the HC for the NYJ who really wanted to coach in DET. Who’s OC also wanted to come here because both guys are from Michigan… Guys whom we looked past to hire Dan C. These guys have have managed to beat two teams with winning records. They managed to do this with lesser talent than the Lions have and beat they Cincy with a back-up QB. A 5th round nobody at that.

1 Like

My brother in law is a jets fans and he comes over every Sunday and I’ve see quite a bit of Jets football. No way do I see more talent on the Lions roster. Jets defense will hit you in the mouth. Biggest problem they’ve had is trying to win with Wilson. I like Salah a lot but let’s not pretend he benched Wilson to start White. There was a lot of luck in Wilson getting hurt.

3 Likes

Beautiful loser
Never take it all
'Cause it’s easier
And faster when you fall

Seems like Bob Seger had someone in mind like Dan Campbell when he wrote that.

1 Like

I think we will have playmakers. People are getting down on our picks of onwuzurike and McNeil but if you watch them closely they do make plays. I watched onwuzurike take on and beat a double team to bring down the eagles running back for a 5 yard gain. It’s not a splashy play like a sack or tackle for loss but if he doesn’t make that incredible effort that back would have run for quite a while. It’s little plays like that that go unseen most of the time.

The young players will get better. Our most talented players will come back from injury. And we’ll continue to add more through the draft and free agency. Things will get better.

For those down on Lynn I understand but also remember he’s dealing with a rookie left tackle, two injured all pro caliber lineman, his best two receivers, and an injured pro bowl tight end. There’s not really a lot he can do. Especially with a gun shy quarterback.

2 Likes

The NYJ have won a total of 23 games in the 5 years leading up to 2021 season. They won two games last year. They were largely considered the least talented team to start the season.

The Lions won 32 games in that same stretch. They won 3 more games than the NYJ did last year. Under some of the worst coaching the franchise has seen since 2008.

You think the NYJ are more talented because they are playing better. They are better coached. They are also being coached by a coach who wanted to come to DET. He’s from Michigan and wanted to come back home and help turn it around. We chose to pass on him in favor of Cambell and a knee cap diet.

The Lions are lead by a QB who had no problem winning before coming here. In fact he was the winningest QB not named Brady. The NYJ are lead by a 5th round back up QB and they just beat a team who dismantled us two weeks ago.

Our problem is coaching.

2 Likes

If Ravens don’t lockbox out and same with Minnesota the narrative is much different. I can completely understand why our team got smoked following those games with injuries to key players and major uphill battle in talent discrepancy every game. It is 110% normal.

There’s no comparing how MP has 5 wins last year to right now. We lost our best weapons. Slay, Stafford, Golladay and replaced them with no one bc our cap is shit and it made no sense to patch holes going into the year.

1 Like

You may see Campbell as a great leader but I see him as a big dumb oaf. One minute he’s talking about biting knee caps and the next he’s tearing up at a press conference. As a former player you’d think he would know how to keep them even and giving their all but he’s not. Collins showed how much respect DC deserves by his effort on the field and it’s fair to say we see that with other players as well. What do you think it says to your guys when you’re down 17 and you don’t kick the FG? It says I have no faith in these guys. It’s great to be aggressive but showing some intelligence is far more important.

1 Like

The Jets haven’t had a QB and Detroit had Stafford during those 5 years. I’m talking about this year. The lions have the least talented team in the nfl IMO.

5 Likes

That’s why he needs great coordinators. And to improve his knowledge of analytics. He is not the GM. His character is good for our team now. Would Saleh have been better? We don’t know. Again if we didn’t get hosed in the ravens game people would be hanging their hat on that with more hope than fear.

2 Likes

The NYJ had Darnold who is 4-4 with Carolina.

The NYJ are now fielding a nobody at QB and the Lions have Goff who prior to this year had won more games than any QB not named Brady. Goff who went to the probowl twice during that stretch.

Coaching matters.

The NYJ have a shitty roster as well. It takes terrible coaching to have zero wins by the half way point.

1 Like