Dan Campbell on the Lions offensive depth after loss to Jaguars: 'We're always looking'

2 Likes

Jamo’s selfish decision to break NFL rules has really put this team in a bind. I hope that has been communicated to him.

And now we wait to scour the waiver wire.

I would not be upset if we moved a DL for OL or WR help. But honestly I would rather the OL help.

Ps then we can sign Suh!

3 Likes

Brad hasn’t been the greatest when it comes to evaluating WR and backup QB imo. Of course, he hit it out of the park with Ra, and it’s about time he added an actual NFL caliber backup QB in Teddy, but man…up to this point, his WR assessment has been a bit “sus” as the kids say.

I’m also a bit concerned about the 2nd outside CB on defense with Mosley pretty much hurt for the forseeable future.

Need another NFL WR and a 2nd CB in lieu of Mosley, stat.

1 Like

Explain?

Year 1 FA he took chances in FA bc we were short on $. Tyrell was a good signing IMO. He just had a freaky head injury right away. Perriman? Sure. But it was a small money Hail Mary. Oh well. But he also brings in Raymond for Pennies. A++++ move. Great job by his scouts. Picks up Reynolds mid year. Another excellent move.

Then in the draft he hits on Amon-Ra. A+++++++++ move.

So great first year when it comes to scouting WRs.

Year 2 FA he takes a gamble on Chark in a weak WR class and has the wisdom to pass on KG. Chark thought he fought injuries ended the year exceedingly strong. Gets Reynolds and Kalif to reup on the cheap. Terrific values.

Then in the draft he takes Jamo. I’ll just leave that one as undecided. There are enough of those threads.

Year 3 he hasn’t done much and I think especially in the draft one can argue that he should have done a bit more since we knew about Jamo’s suspension at that point. But scouting wise, Green looks like a fine prospect for a 7th rounder.

I just don’t see anything in his performance to date that suggests that Brad has struggled scouting WR. He has perhaps undervalued the position a little bit :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Fair enough, undervalued the position is a good way to put it. And not to turn this into a Jamo thread, but man, this team really coulda used a guy like a healthy Davis in the middle of the DL as opposed to an injured WR…and I’ll always stand by that opinion, I digress. Maybe I’m too focused on the bad trade and apparent obsession this team has Trinity Benson when it comes to WR, which was a foundational criticism point when Brad first came in.

All in all, I think Brad’s actually done a really good job, but he still has a couple warts up to this point…plenty of time to make up for it though.

Nose Tackles at #12OA?

Im Not No Way GIF

3 Likes

Ya regardless of how jamo turns out i would rather take the chance on a game breaking wr vs a run plugging nt in the top 15

And i really like davis

2 Likes

Our offensive depth is crap, especially on OL. I could see us only keeping 21-22 offensive guys on the initial 53 man. With the PS and elevation rules, there is no reason to waste roster spots on players that don’t earn it. Very few of our players on offense are in danger of being claimed.

Players potentially claimed??
No one outside our 7 OL or our top 3 TE’s
Maybe Ibrahim, but I doubt it
Drummond, Cota, Benson, Alexander - probably not. Green - Maybe

Holmes/MCDC will keep football players, not positions. On defense, we have a lot of players that can will be claimed. I think Okwara’s (91 and 75 snaps only Gilmore and Thomas V are in same category) are being showcased for potential trade, but will likely keep for depth if not good offers.

3 Likes

This is the Den this preseason.

3 Likes

This time of year I spend way too much time combing through other teams depth charts looking for treasures. Rarely do I come across a quality OL that’s getting cut. In your scenario I would hope we would load up the PS with some OL guys with traits and hope they can make jumps.

Then next year Brad needs to use his carpet bombing technique on OL depth.

2 Likes

We’ll see…if that nose tackle plays 70+% of the snaps and turns out to be a pro-bowler? I mean 12OA is okay to me. Maybe Jamo will end up being thr better player, but at this point if I’m takin Jamo or Davis at 12OA, especially given the teams interior DL needs going into last season? I mean…:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Man, if they’re keeping 30 plus defenders on the 53, there has got to be a way to work a trade with a club also starving for depth at certain spots. Hopefully Brad can work some magic.

The discussion here about lack of quality OL around the league is why I have zero problems taking them high in the draft.

Really wish they could have kept Brown around. Losing him could hurt them badly.

2 Likes

If he’s Dexter Lawrence, sure. But that means Davis becomes a monster pass rush threat which is exceedingly rare at NT. Not to mention that Jordan Davis wasn’t a pass rush threat against UAB and Vanderbilt. Is he suddenly going to turn it on against the Cowboys.

If people want to play the what if game (despite it being a useless, inane activity) the obvious one is standing pat and picking Christian Watson at 32.

2 Likes

Next draft I want to see one OL early and at least one (or even two) later.

2 Likes

I don’t think 30, 3 will be ST, so an even split would be 25. I think we definitely keep more defenders than offense, personally I see 27-29 defenders making the 53 man.

1 Like

I think we potentially would regardless as we rotate a lot of defensive positions where as offensive depth should be present on gameday but not seen

1 Like

I didn’t watch the game till this morning tons of sh!t of course BUT Steven Gilmore is good. I’ve been so focused on Starling (who was of course a terrific signing) that I didn’t pay Gilmore enough attention.

This is really hard to evaluate but it appears that Gilmore’s CB spidey senses are top notch. Which makes sense given the pedigree. Should help him mitigate the length issues which are of course a concern. I think he’s closing in on a roster spot.

3 Likes