Dan Campbell on the Lions offensive depth after loss to Jaguars: 'We're always looking'

I focused on Davis for a bit of the game this weekend…
and wasn’t impressed.

I don’t think he will be a great player…. may not even be a good player.

I think so too. And with the sudden depth at db I think there will be some unexpected cuts elsewhere, at least to get through the waiver period. Maybe cut both kickers, cut all but the top two RB, cut Cabinda (risky), Pittman. That leaves room for the extra db and dl, and then stash a few guys (plus the suspension) and most of them back

Can we please cut the getting cute crap with the kicker spot? :weary:

1 Like

You think at least one of them wouldn’t survive waivers. If it’s a dead heat then there isn’t much risk.

The “getting cute crap” was caused by a bad plan ('21) and a bad decision ('22).

If they fall in love with one of these guys then yeah, don’t take the risk. Not like I’m proposing they cut Fox.

edit: they can probably cut all of the rookie WR too. Most of them will make it to PS. Maybe all of them.

John Parker Romo as our K would scare me

1 Like

I say cut cabinda run a te there for run blocking

2 Likes

A five-yard pass to Cabinda is a freaking 50/50 ball.

There will be about 200 free agent OL depth players available in a couple of weeks, surely one of them has got to be more worthy of a roster spot than him.

2 Likes

Hunter Luepke with that Green pick would’ve been sweet. If he gets cut we should be all over that. Though I doubt it would just be us.

Shrug. If the staff feels the same, don’t cut Patterson.

I’m mostly throwing out a bunch of options to keep roster space for a couple of positions where the team is overloaded. I would hate to lost a promising rookie because of a marriage to some 3rd RB who is fungible

I’m hoping we already have plans to use Laporta in a FB/H back role and are keeping it under wraps until KC. The Chiefs aren’t even keeping a FB on the roster, FWIW.

If that’s the case can do they have the roster space to keep Deneric Prince? :thinking:, @Thats2

If they keep 5RBs (including FB) they almost have to limit themselves to 5WRs which means they’re cutting Justyn Ross who I’d be into (provided our medical team signs off on it).

I’d love to bring Prince in, of course. Or Ross. They have to know though that he’ll never make it through waivers.

Honestly wouldn’t surprise me if they cut CEH.

Oh I 100% agree with this…I truly thought Brad was trading up for Davis, espcially as there were a plethora of potentially high end, non-injured WR’s (like Watson) that could be available; and the interior of the DL was looking sketchy. I didnt hate the Jamo pick, but it was def a head scratcher, especially given the injury and trading up to get him. Oh well, it’s mindless speculation bullshit at this point admittedly.

If Brad and Dan and the Lions are truly going for it this year, but want to do that without sacrificing too much of the future, they should be able to shore up the roster even if that means giving up a sixth or seventh round pick in future years. Or perhaps there’s a team that’s interested in JulianOkwara or another player.

Mike Evans and his remaining contract for a 6th maybe? Sounds like he wants out of TB and they are rebuilding

4 Likes

Heck without even resigning, we could do that depending on jamo, i would offer up to a 3rd 2 years from now or 4th next draft.

I think evans could really work here

1 Like

Me too. Maye they’ll throw in an extra tackle

Yeah….why not??

Man you are generous with those odds. Cabinda is like the Jose Canseco of fullbacks. Canseco once had a baseball go off his head and over the fence. Throwing a pass to Cabinda is one risky idea.

I’d dig CEH. I always thought he was massively over-drafted but he’d be a big RB3 upgrade.

The problem at RB is that nobody worth a damn is getting by New Orleans’ waiver pick with their current situation.